Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
seankim228
2nd Gear Member

Personalized license plates question..

So to prove my love to my car, I decided to waste away my hard earned money by getting a personalized license plate.

The problem is, every single one I come up with, the online MOT site says that it is unavailable. I assume this is because the plates are already taken ? Is there anyway for me to get those plates ? (to find the owners and buy it off of them..?lol kinda creepy but if I could I would..)

Anyone know about these ? Also, if they are unavailable, would they be unavailable for indefinite period of time or they will become available at least some day in the future..?

Thanks for the input !

-Sean
seankim228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

My friend was contacted by a person interested in her old vanity plates. This was pre- privacy act so I'm not sure if now, the MTO will forward a letter to the plate owner on your behalf or not.

Even if expired, the vanity plate owner can re-register it to any car at any time. (i believe it is indefinite)

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
sproule905
6th Gear Member

I have an old bike plate from my CBR 600RR that I ran " BLRR" as far as I know, its mine until i die.

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^it belongs to the MTO, but they are not interested in taking it from you. They can, at a later time, decide that the plate is offensive, and refuse to let you attach it to a vehicle, but this is very unlikely.

P.S. Stop trying to get PROPR 1, its taken.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
jeremy
6th Gear Member

How do you check if a plate is available?
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
sproule905
6th Gear Member

^^ go into any MTO office with a list ans start asking.

Propr'one - pretty sure the MTO is not looking everyday to take it away, but I do see your point

Old 09-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
///Maluco
5erholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproule905 View Post
^^ go into any MTO office with a list ans start asking.

Propr'one - pretty sure the MTO is not looking everyday to take it away, but I do see your point
This happened years ago to a Minister that had "REV JO" on her plates. It's all gone a bit off the wall seeing a so many abbreviations are used nowadays. I'm sure you can have a real hoot with some of the standard issue plates too if you put some effort into it.

toronto.ctv.ca

Date: Wednesday Nov. 28, 2007 5:35 PM ET

A United Church Minister might soon be back on the road with her vanity plates in tow, after the transportation ministry agreed to review an earlier decision to refuse renewing the personalized plates she's had for 20 years.

Rev. Joanne Sorrill of Whitby, Ont., went to the ministry to replace her plates that had become rusty. However, she was told REV JO could be perceived by some people on the road as a provocation for speed.

The ministry's mandate is to refuse plates that don't promote safety or that refer to sex, drugs, alcohol, racism, violence, profanity or religion.

That's why Sorrill's second choice REVRNDJO was also rejected. She called the decision "political correctness to the extreme."

"There are some things that people put on licence plates that are offensive, but people who feel like they have a good case to make, are more than welcome to reapply," Transportation Minister Jim Bradley said after being questioned by reporters.

He said the province's Personalized Licence Plate Review Committee tries hard to spark "the right balance" between what is offensive and what isn't.

"In this case, they may not have, so we've asked them to look at it again," he said.

Elizabeth Witmer, deputy Conservative leader, said the Liberals should reverse the decision immediately.

"Somebody has decided it's inappropriate,'' Witmer told The Canadian Press. "Obviously, it is somebody who is a little bit overzealous.''

With files from the Canadian Press

Bimmer Mag......................October 2010.....................Issue No. 93
///Maluco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
How do you check if a plate is available?
online with MTO and the system checks the availability.
AA race FMIC and Diverter/Blow-off
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
jeremy
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachos23 View Post
online with MTO and the system checks the availability.
Direct link? Do you actually have to fill out an order form?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
sproule905
6th Gear Member

jeremy - stop being lazy and take your list down to MTO and start reading them off.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
Direct link? Do you actually have to fill out an order form?
Online, you have to go through the steps as if you are actually buying it, the last step checks the availability.

http://www.ontario.ca/en/services_fo...06_025217.html click "start online service"

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
jeremy
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproule905 View Post
jeremy - stop being lazy and take your list down to MTO and start reading them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan27 View Post
Online, you have to go through the steps as if you are actually buying it, the last step checks the availability.

http://www.ontario.ca/en/services_fo...06_025217.html click "start online service"
Thanks dude!
Old 09-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
Supreme_sole
Top Gear Canuck

Got mine done two months ago. Just take a list into the MTO office and find a nice girl to talk to and they will get it done fast. You have 24hrs to cancel or make changes before its final and you have to tell them what it means.

Remember when you pick up your plates u have to pay for a new sticker, which they did not tell me when i bought the plates.

And if your looking for clwnshu its gone.
Supreme_sole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:35 AM   #14
Banned

If its taken then its taken. The person owns the plates for his life.

And if you said you ran a bunch and they;re all taken then your imagination is quite low and you need to think of something better for a plate.

I came up with a plate for my car 3 years ago, first one I ran wasnt taken so I bought it.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: