Late update, but I completely forgot about this lol. I was having too much fun with 24v treatment lol.
So lets recap
97 m52 swap with obd 1 conversion 170,xxx kms
-new rear main seal
-new serpentine belt
-new exhaust manifold gaskets, studs and bolts (copper coated I think)
-new pilot bearing
-new throttle body gasket
-new intake manifold gaskets
-valve cover gaskets
-new oil filter, oil and coolant
-new throttle cable
Here are a few pics
Car runs great but now it's modding/repairing season so I've got a few things on my list, some with more priority than others lol.
To do list
- One of the MAIN items on the list is to tackle the rear end. It's the original sub frame so it's kicked the bucket. I have a nice crack where the diff bolts up and one of the holes for bolting the diff on is no longer there lol. Bolt goes right through. So my goal is to find a clean complete rear end that I can build off the car (paint, bushings etc). This way I can just swap them out. I'm in between poly or OEM rear sub frame bushings. What do you guys think? I read that the polys can be pretty harsh and I think if replaced with OEM bushings it'll probably last another 15-20 years, like the originals did?
-Next would be the leaky gas tank. This summer I noticed it would smell like gas whenever I filled right up. Put it on the hoist and I can see that it's leaking from the top. Too bad, the rest of the tank looks pretty clean. I'm thinking of putting a later model tank in it. Can I still run an external pump with the later style tank?
-I'm also going to do the zf tranny swap. I'm pretty sure I have everything I need, except a clutch and diff. I currently have a 4:10 LSD so I'm looking for a 3:15 LSD. I wanted the 3:73 LSD but after speaking to another member with the 3:73 and m52/zf combo he mentioned it still felt pretty short. Hwy cruising was still pretty high reving. I intend on boosting eventually (have some goodies put together) so I read that they like to run the 3:15lsd. I believe this is the diff that comes out of the roadster? Still need to do a bit more research.
- Exhaust. If you are doing the 24v swap, stay away from the m50 cast manifolds. Just buy the cheapo headers on eBay. I should have done that from the beginning. I may do the m52/s52 manifolds instead. They produce less rasp then the cheapo eBay headers. I'm already running a straight pipe so I'm afraid it'll be annoying with all that rasp.
- clutch fan delete. I read that the 16' spal fan works great. Can any other BMW aux can be used instead?
- New radiator with a built in coolant res
- If I can fit in the budget I'd like to get s52 cams.
Looks like I have a bit of work a head of me lol.