Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Michel
6th Gear Member

how to get rid of a lease?

I've got a 2010 corolla - 5 year lease, I pay 229/month for it. How do I get rid of it with minimal losses? I put 500 down originally and toyota matched it with $1500, so I know I'd be losing that.

I know you can find someone to take over the lease, but say I wanted to get a car from a dealer (not toyota), can I trade it in at that dealership somehow and they would deal with toyota credit?

Thanks,
Michel
Old 10-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
sirex
King Sirex

well im not sure what kind of loan you got, but you can probably pay it off in full.

Last edited by sirex; 10-25-2011 at 08:18 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Oyster
Read this http://www.ellenroseman.com/?p=1108
Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Michel
6th Gear Member

^thanks, but I'm aware of all that; I'm not returning my lease, I'm trying to get rid of it.

Sirex you're right, I'll likely have to buyout the car, and trade it in... will probably lose on the trade in value.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
^thanks, but I'm aware of all that; I'm not returning my lease, I'm trying to get rid of it.

Sirex you're right, I'll likely have to buyout the car, and trade it in... will probably lose on the trade in value.
just give someone an incentive to take over on leasebuster, incentive might be cheaper than trading in, losing value.
Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
I think an incentive is a good idea. For sure you will lose on a trade in, but than again, most likely they will low ball you when you wanna sell it. IF you are in a hurry, go with an incentive idea.

My 0.02c
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

There is a fairly easy systematic approach to determining what to do about a leased vehicle (if you want to get out early).

A) Call the leasing company and find out what your "Current" buyout is.

B) Do some research, and find out what your car is actually worth. Not Max Sale Prices, max lowballer purchase prices, but actually what the car is worth. Look at Autotrader, Kijiji and get the wholesale values.

C) Considering the Corolla is still in production, find out what a lease payment would be for a new car. You'd be screwed if the 0% down, lease payment on a new Corolla is more than your current lease payments.

D) Despite what people say on max, you don't automatically loose your deposit. The only thing that matters is the difference between actual value and current buyout. Also a major factor, is the mileage on your car. If you are over, you will have to give an incentive, if you don't have 20,000KM minimum per year of mileage left per year. In general, if you put $500-$2000 down, you wouldn’t ask for that back, because that would have helped make your lease payments attractive (for a take-over).

If you put $10,000 down, you’d be in a position to ask for some of that money back, as your payments are probably too low and you’d be stupid to do a take-over. You’d be better to buy the car out, and sell it.

I've actually bought and leased several NEW BMW's (E36, E46, E92), Acura's and GM's.

Start by gathering the above information, and see where you stand based on the images below.
(Remember, when you buy the car out, you’ll have to pay taxes on the buyout amount. If you trade it in again, you’ll save on the taxes. Keep that point in mind).

.... hope it helps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lease1.jpg (81.7 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Lease2.jpg (58.8 KB, 129 views)
MrRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:

i think i confused my self.

this is a lease or purchase finance?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
Michel
6th Gear Member

^it's a 5 year lease - buyout at the end is $5500 i think.

I might be in a bad position actually; I called the leasing company and they said the current buyout is 14k + tax... black book on my car is between 11.5-13k so it could be a close net zero position.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
^it's a 5 year lease - buyout at the end is $5500 i think.

I might be in a bad position actually; I called the leasing company and they said the current buyout is 14k + tax... black book on my car is between 11.5-13k so it could be a close net zero position.
Actually, you may not be that bad. Take a look at what your car/model/with mileage sells for on Autotrader.

If it's worth $16-$17K retail, you might be alright (Not the highest, but average selling price across Ontario).

If you're buying a more expensive car from another manufacturer, you could ask the dealer to give you say $13.5K-$14K trade in (they buy the car our for you), and you pay MSRP on the new car.

Actually, if you're paying MSRP on the new car, you should be able to get the dealer to step up to $14K trade in value.

If this was a GM/Chrysler products, your buy back would probably be $14K and the retail would have been $11K.

Good luck. Hit as many dealers as you can. This might turn out okay.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
Michel
6th Gear Member

^yea you're right! I'm seeing them go between $14.5-17$ with mileage ranging from 22k-55k. Mine's at 27k so somewhere in between - its also a 5spd so thats about 500-800 off.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

You can't trade in a leased car, you don't own it.

You have to either settle with the leasing company (buyout) or get someone to take over the lease. Listen to MrRWD, he seems to know what he is talking about.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
^yea you're right! I'm seeing them go between $14.5-17$ with mileage ranging from 22k-55k. Mine's at 27k so somewhere in between - its also a 5spd so thats about 500-800 off.
You really might come out okay. Wish you the best on this!

Print out the CanadianBlackBook values, as backup.
They will say, that that "Low" and "High" values reflect KM as well (It used to, in the actually little black book days, with 20K/year allowance).

So, for the same car, print out values for 60,000KM, 27,000KM, 15,000KM and take them with you.

What car are you going to get?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
Michel
6th Gear Member

^thanks for your help man, I will do that.
I might look into a 335i pending on selling my E46 (if I can even get myself to do it emotionally lol)

-->http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...79#post1531679

If I sell the e46 and get rid of my corolla, I'll get a 335 for daily driving instead of summer/winter car swapping.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #15
Dr. Flyview
"Mint"

I don't understand why anyone would ever lease a car. I just don't get it.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1993 BMW 525i - daily
1994 BMW 325i - sold
1992 BMW 325i - gone
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: