Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
E36is
'OldSchool..'

oil leak

Anybody know where i can pick up a dye to either put into my crankcase oil or into my tranny (auto). The e30 has always had a small leak since i acquired it, and would like to get it resolved before i seal up my driveway. I have cleaned up the bottom end of the engine and the tranny, and since driving it a few 100 kms, the front end is dry but i see new oil stains coming from the back end of the motor and front end of the tranny. I dont seem to be low on engine oil so that leads me to think its coming from the tranny, but i would like to pin point it by using the dye method. Anybody know where i can buy this kit locally? thanks.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

I don't think you'll be needing a dye; the likelihood that your front input shaft seal is leaking is the case. Such as mine. :-) do check the tranny lines going to the tranny to see if they are loose. Sometimes they can leak from there but I haven't had that experience. If your front input shaft seal is leaking or the rear main seal for the motor; either way the tranny or motor has to come out in order to fix this problem. probably easier to remove the tranny and do the seal on the car if it is the rear main. If one is leaking then you might as well change the other while you're in there since it is out and you'd be pissed if you installed everything only to find out the other began to leak shortly after. Seals are fairly cheap.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!

Last edited by Ceeker; 09-09-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
E36is
'OldSchool..'

^^ yeah i did also clean the lines and they seem to be dry. You think those seal conditioners will help swell up the seal and stop the leak? I dont really want to drop the tranny.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: