Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #1
BenG
1st Gear Newbie

Best BMW Service in the GTA and a Warning

I'm sorry if a similar thread has been posted before; tried searching but didn't quite find anything similar.

I'm having trouble locating a single honest and professional BMW service provider in the city! I bought my X5 from BMW Autohaus and have been giving them business for many years but I've had enough as the service department is simply garbage. The mechanics are clueless; I have personally dealt and spoke with at least 15 different mechanics and none provide the professional service you expect from a BMW mechanic. The service advisers are not really advisers either, just there to steal your money. And the service manager is illogical and rude!

Anyway, I've been reading negative feedbacks from marenello and parkview customers requiring service on their vehicle. I was considering Town + Country as its service seems to be superior to my other alternatives. Can you please share your T&C service experience and possibly recommend a better alternative, if one exists in the GTA area.

My X5 makes a squeaking noise as I turn the wheel and a knocking sound at low speed. It has recently started leaking some sort of fluid as well. I took the car to Autohaus, described all 3 issues and after 2 hours they called and said none of the issues were clear enough to make a judgment on! I was speechless and quite frustrated but now the noises are getting worse everyday and I'm getting quite concerned as a simple power steering fluid deficiency or a defective part causing a leak of the hydraulic fluid can become quite costly to repair in the long-run.

Thanks in advance for your time and input
Ben
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #2
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

For a diagnosis... Try Bimmex or RMP Motors... they are pretty good at telling you what is wrong with the car. Then USE that info when you go to T&C or where ever else you go... If the car isn't under warranty, you may want to consider not going to the "stealership" for service.

also you may on to use the maxbimmer forums for ideas as to whats wrong with your X5... they are pretty knowledgeable here...
blakneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:22 AM   #3
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

oh for the squeaky steering this might help.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=245961
Old 09-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

If you've got sqeaks, and fluid loss, then it's probably your steering rack.

It could be the pump itself, or the rack. To isolate the pump, if you simple park the car (on), open the hood, and have someone turn the wheel left and right (it's a little stressful for the pump and rack, so don't do it all the time).

If you hear the noises from the top of the engine, then you know it's pretty much the pump.

Oh, first thing, top up your fluid level.

BMW steering racks are not known to be the best. I've had mine done under warranty at an early stage. I ordered 18" Sport wheels on my car, and the width adds more strain.
MrRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
vintagez
2nd Gear Member

I have had excellent service at Maranello and was pleasantly surprised when the bill was less than I expected, received a maxbimmer discount, no problems what so ever. Remember it is hard to diagnose some things, and it may take time....
vintagez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
damameke
6th Gear Member

Looks like you are from the East end, if you dont mind driving a bit.. go to Stancefactory
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155 mike and jay should be able to help you out...
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
jon.e
2nd Gear Member

Auto trend. Dons a great guy and a very honnest person. He's been around since the beech auto days. So he knows his stuff. Mechanics are awesome as well. I also recommend Stance factory. Jay and mike know they're stuff. Those are the only two places I take my car too.
jon.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

there are a handful of indy shops associated with this forum that you would be better off going too.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

DO NOT TOP UP YOUR FLUID! you can actually do more harm to your car if you put too much steering fluid in it. (Should note, do not use steering fluid in a BMW, use SYNTHETIC ATF). Make sure its at the recommended level. when you open the steering tank cap, there is a notch on it. that is where your fluid should be. not to the top of the tank.

IF you hear a loud MOANING NOISE then its your pump going. Or if you feel a considerable amount of resistance when you turn the wheel.

***thats IF the sqeaks are related to the steering.

****I am not a mechanic
Old 09-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

it could also be your cv shaft what kind of fluid is it ?? i agree with Jon.e
RMP is also a good shop one of those 3 would get the job done 100%
BmW1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakneto View Post
DO NOT TOP UP YOUR FLUID! you can actually do more harm to your car if you put too much steering fluid in it. (Should note, do not use steering fluid in a BMW, use SYNTHETIC ATF). Make sure its at the recommended level. when you open the steering tank cap, there is a notch on it. that is where your fluid should be. not to the top of the tank.

IF you hear a loud MOANING NOISE then its your pump going. Or if you feel a considerable amount of resistance when you turn the wheel.

***thats IF the sqeaks are related to the steering.

****I am not a mechanic
He's leaking fluid... and if it is low, he should "top it up" to the appropriate level, or it will do more damage.

Who doesn't use the recommended fluid anyway.. and the marking are all there...
Old 09-09-2011, 02:31 AM   #12
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

Yes he said he's leaking fluid... but that doesn't mean he leaking steering fluid.
Not arguing against you, but saying he needs to be cautious before doing something that can do more damage to his car...
Old 09-09-2011, 02:39 AM   #13
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
atf is red. if you're leaking a red liquid, its your PS unless your car is auto or awd.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #14
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakneto View Post
Yes he said he's leaking fluid... but that doesn't mean he leaking steering fluid.
Not arguing against you, but saying he needs to be cautious before doing something that can do more damage to his car...
OP said the following...

Quote:
My X5 makes a squeaking noise as I turn the wheel and a knocking sound at low speed. It has recently started leaking some sort of fluid as well. I took the car to Autohaus, described all 3 issues and after 2 hours they called and said none of the issues were clear enough to make a judgment on! I was speechless and quite frustrated but now the noises are getting worse everyday and I'm getting quite concerned as a simple power steering fluid deficiency or a defective part causing a leak of the hydraulic fluid can become quite costly to repair in the long-run.
which could probably lead to low power steering fluid. That's the first thing you should do if you start seeing fluid on your garage floor. Check the fluid levels.

If you continue to drive the car, check the fluid daily until fixed!!!

Saying not to top up is BAD advise.

My buddy pulled in recently with his BMW, complaining of stiff steering at low speeds. As he was backing up, we noticed a few drops on the floor.
The very first thing we did was check all the fluids. Guess what, low power steering fluid.

He kept topping it up, and found the problem. Low pressure return line was leaking. By topping it up, probably saved the rack and pump from any serious damage...
Old 09-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #15
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

:p again... i am not trying to argue with you... i stated fill it to the notch on the cap, not to fill the tank. Some people may not know about the notch on the cap. We saying the same thing in a different languages. :p

Plus he said he's leaking fluid, but you can't automatically assume that the fluid is ATF from the steering. What if its OIL from the PCV? Or just plain water from a rainy day?

He could have multiple symptoms from multiple problems...

Just saying.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: