Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
Randar
1st Gear Newbie

Question Gears "click" on 2009 e91

I just picked up a CPO 2009 BMW 328 IX Touring from BMW Toronto. I was extremely happy to get it with the manual 6 speed, but I do have one issue with it. It may be hard to describe, but it almost feels like it "clicks" when it goes into gear. It's not audible, but more how it feels, almost like it a really big bendie straw. It's like as you move past the center point, it sort of grabs and then clicks before it gets fully into the gate and only once per gear change, not repeated clicks. Seems a bit harder in 2nd and 4th than 1st and 3rd, 5th and 6th seem fine but it may be my imagination. I don't have another e90 to compare it to for me to say if this is typical or not. I had a 2001 e46 330CI and it didn't behave like this, nor any other manual I have owned. Before I picked it up, I made sure BMW looked at it and they said nothing was wrong. The car still has a bit of factory warranty on it, so I could push for it to be "fixed", but I'm not even sure I have a problem. The car only has 23,000 KM on it, so it's quite new. The only reason I even felt comfortable buying it was the low KM and the CPO covers the transmission up to 160K and that I absolutely love everything else about the car.

Is this normal for a e91?
Randar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

maybe synchro gears? hard to say.

my frame of thought is this. Usually for items like this they can't really service it and treat the tranny as a single replacement unit which is very costly for them to replace on a hunch of a problem. Secondly I find the more mechanics take things apart new and different problems arise. Not that the mechanics are bad or anything but most times things are forgotten or not done correctly as the car is very very tight to work in/around. Not ideal conditions compared to at the factory where even the car is rotated on it's side to gain easier access.

if it's not causing any problems I'd wait and see if real problems arise such as not being able to get it into gear before getting it serviced. you have a long way to go before CPO runs out.

You should however note the issue with the service advisor so it's on record that you noticed an issue and gain their agreement that something is not right. I think they would be more willing to do that than go on a hunt for the problem which is time consuming for them and possibly create other headaches for you.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Randar
1st Gear Newbie

All good advice. I did have them look over the issue before I took posession of the car, so not sure if that would be on the cars permanent record. But will bring it up at my first service.

My brother is also much better at diagnosing problems like this, so I'll probably have him drive it and try to decide if it's a problem or just a characteristic of the car.
Randar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: