Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Classifieds > For Sale > BMW Cars For Sale
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
WiredRacing
1st Gear Newbie

WTB: Clean E30 Convertible or Sedan

I mean clean. If you say mint, it has to mean mint. No surface rust, no perforations, no bubbling. Nothing broken, no leaks. Road worthy with many many years left in her. Preferably not painted, but if painted, before photos, no bondo, must have cut out the rust and welded new metal in...

I've been watching the board and kijiji/trader for almost 2 months now and other than 1 325sedan (silver/grey.. not my first choice) I haven't seen anything clean go up for sale. Well a couple nice looking coupes but I don't want to suck myself into selling a coupe (RSX) just to buy another coupe.

So.. what I'm trying to do is get all you tasteful E30 owners to post up your babies and then try to figure out which one of you is going to sell me their car.

I've checked Vegas, I've checked florida. And there is one I could eat off of in Florida, but by the time it's landed it'll cost me a small fortune.

I'd prefer a cabrio, but a sedan has it's uses too. Manual transmission is a must.

Show me the minty-fresh bling before I bitch out and buy a 272whp Miata from a friend.

I get the impression a proper clean example would go for around 6K. I would pay more if the stars align.

Or am I dreaming and every time someone gets their car perfect, something else breaks. Tell me I should be avoiding an old german car. That it's a money pit. That they don't drive all that well to begin with.

Sorry I'd post in "Looking For" but there's not many replies in there.
WiredRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
racer-x
2nd Gear Member

Buy a Porsche. Better luck of getting a garage queen!
racer-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
WiredRacing
1st Gear Newbie

Nah I don't want a garage queen, but it certainly wouldn't get driven much (just the reality, it's a 2nd car, the just-in-case car.. weekend change-up car). I just want a car that's been cared for. When something broke on it, it got fixed. When the rust started, it got fixed. A cracked windshield I get. A leaking dripping motor.. no.

This is the thing. I say, "where are the clean cars" and someone hears "garage queen". This is how people can say "mint" when it really just means "my car is above average". A 75% grade is above average, but I would never call it "good", let alone "mint".

Mint should be like.. when you see it, the car looks new. I mean you look close and it's clearly not.. but it stands out above the other 95% or so of the others you've seen.

Heck I would probably accept a top 20% car so long as it will pass emissons and safety right away.

Just looking for a clean car and trying to avoid time wasting trips to see someones failed project.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Daddy
3rd Gear Member

Love a guy who knows what he wants. Cutting out all the b.s. before it even starts. Good luck with your search.
Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
WiredRacing
1st Gear Newbie

Well when you go from a situation where you have all the time in the world to a kid you want to spend most of your free time with the patience for BS drops astronomically.

I'm prepared to pay a premium for a significant reduction in hassle.

What I want is to keep my S2000 and be able to drive it enough to justify owning it and paying the insurance on it. But I can't.

A classic car (15+ years), with classic car insurance makes sense based on how much it'll get driven. The insurance is about 1/10th of what I'm paying on the other cars that spend most of their time sitting in the garage because I just don't go anywhere (bad situation for a car guy).

Outside of that I dunno I'd say what I want. I know what I don't want. A cabrio has it's use and better wife appeal, a sedan gives me more utility and something I could compete with and the miata sacrifices utility for improved competitiveness. I could drop motorsport all together ( don't get to do much of it these days ) but I also enjoy the time I have when there. So I'm at a bit of a crossroads and more or less the next car I buy will probably direct that outcome.

So lets just say I've narrowed it down pretty well and the first kick-ass example I come across at a good price is probably going to be the winner.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Call Thorold Imports, they have a 92 e30 vert, new top, rebuilt motor.

Ask for Vincent 19056806649
Old 09-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
racer-x
2nd Gear Member

That's where I'm bringing my E30. The boys at Thorold Imports know their stuff!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
WiredRacing
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks, any idea on the color? Their website leaves something to be desired.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
WiredRacing
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
That's where I'm bringing my E30. The boys at Thorold Imports know their stuff!
That's good to know. Thank you.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:12 AM   #10
racer-x
2nd Gear Member

Here you go dude:
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ311302301

A match made in heaven.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #11
WiredRacing
1st Gear Newbie

But like 3K more than my ceiling.

But I did think about it for a minute. Showed it to the wife. She said it looked new and it was exactly how she imagined driving a classic car. But.. just too spicy for me.

The rare/limited edition aspect doesn't mean enough to me to warrant the bump in the asking price. Looks great though. Good luck to the seller. I'm sure there's a buyer out there for it. Maybe not quite with fall approaching...
Old 09-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
racer-x
2nd Gear Member

Make the guy an offer. Maybe he could use the cash this year instead of dreaming about his price in the spring.
I think what your ceiling is, is actually what the car is worth.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #13
BMWnoob
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredRacing View Post
But like 3K more than my ceiling.

But I did think about it for a minute. Showed it to the wife. She said it looked new and it was exactly how she imagined driving a classic car. But.. just too spicy for me.

The rare/limited edition aspect doesn't mean enough to me to warrant the bump in the asking price. Looks great though. Good luck to the seller. I'm sure there's a buyer out there for it. Maybe not quite with fall approaching...
honestly, imo the price is very reasonable..you won't find anything like that for $3k less
BMWnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #14
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Yeah that seems like a no BS car. With a car like that you should be able to spot any imperfections. Just a few years ago the average price for a clean cab was 12k. If you show up with a ready to spend attitude he may take slightly less than his asking price.

For that price it should have everything the car came with. Check with the cab guys and see.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #15
racer-x
2nd Gear Member

Well he must be watching this thread because he reduced it to $7900 which is more realistic in my opinion. Looks like a cute car.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: