Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #16
daveed
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredRacing View Post
Daveed: Show me.

8K for a new car? Is that like Mint = only a little rust with just one crack in the dash (not that replacing a dash is hard or expensive)?
You can't get a new car for eight grand. Maybe a Korean or American sub-compact for over twelve grand lol.

My dash isn't cracked. And I'm not serious about selling it... what could I get for eight grand that would be better?

daveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #17
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

I'm sorry but for a super minty body, meaning NO rust, not some, but NO rust, and mechanically sound meaning all of the rubber bushings, and ball joints and tie rods and so on were replaced, $6000 is not realistic. $8g's maybe, but not $6g's, if you find one for that price let me know and I'll buy it!

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #18
WiredRacing
1st Gear Newbie

I'm only going on what I've seen others suggest (6-6.5). I figure 7 is Top 10%.

Anyhow show me some 8K ones.

Something like Daveed's (from the pics anyhow) is what I'm looking for. A spot of surface rust or a couple mechanical things on car like that is okay if the price is right.

BTW, I wasn't suggesting *your* dash was cracked.. I was just saying buying a new car for 8 grand (something someone else said) is about as true as a car listed as 'mint' with rust and cracked plastic interior.

Annnyhow.

I have looked at e30tech and the first couple pages. It's a mixed bag. I'll try the other site.

I'd still prefer to buy in Canada though (for the obvious reasons).
WiredRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #19
jasonbaek
2nd Gear Member

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...2-doors-Rabbit

check this out.. it's bit expensive but i think it's worth a try.
jasonbaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #20
desmo
AutoEmployee for Life

In the past few months I've seen two of the "cleanest" E30's up on ebay. One is there right now, 32,xxx miles on a E motor and it has NOT cleared reserve after 47 bids and $15,000. wow.

A month ago a 325is with 60miles sold from a classic car dealer I think for the same price.

Coming back to earth, I own the cleanest E30 that I have seen presonally. Mostly because its super low km's (103), and the original owner had it untill March2010. I firmly believe that there is NO rust on the car because it hasnt been winter driven since '91, but I have not pulled the carpets completely; the underbody has had a liberal amount of rust protection on it from day one. BUT even this car isnt perfect, it still has flaws, the odd little noise now and then, A/C needs a charge, could use a muffler too

Anyhow, you can look at a few pics in my album that I really should update.
desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #21
WiredRacing
1st Gear Newbie

*cough*

Yeah 15K is show-car territory.

I just want reasonable.. problem is it seems my reasonable is at a much higher level than most others 'good'. Frankly 90% of the E30's I've seen listed should all be considered "Project" cars. They just require too much effort (and probably nearly twice the asking price) to be reasonable. They're "new hobby" territory.

Desmo, that does look pretty clean. But I don't mind the few 'flaws'. Those are just things that you haven't gotten around to.. that aren't a big deal. AC charge is $150 and an hour of your time, it's also common to ever car. IT'd be like saying "it's due for a timing belt change". It's just when you see cars up for sale where the owner clearly gave up on the car YEARS ago. They're selling it more or less because it's become such a hassle for them.. so they're trying to pass off their headaches.

Anyhow that one of VWVotex.. yeah spicy asking and I'm not even a fan of how it sits. But it's nice and shiny. A coupe though which is a last resort.

Anyhow photos are one thing too.. a car I looked at today.. one photo of it.. and it looked pretty good. Acceptable. The description was frank but it was certainly being very generous. When I saw it in person, the motor is leaking, the diff is leaking, there's way more rust than is mentioned, ducttape is holding the bumper together, the spoiler on the trunk, the dash is cracked, motor is misfiring, seats are dirty, trunk is full of junk and dirty, the rear window in the top is yellow and has a big tear in the middle of it. No insurance on the car, been sitting since Oct. Just redflag after redflag, after redflag. I wouldn't donate the car to someone, let alone let someone pay for it.

Basically if it had a roof, it would be questionable if it was any good for even ice racing.

But I digress. I'll have to start broadening my search (considering autos). But yeah if anyone comes across something, I would really appreciate the heads up. There's a couple on kijiji I should have a look at, and actually a handful of people from here I've pm'd to try to see their car and no response.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:59 AM   #22
calegrant
6th Gear Member

16k and it's yours
Old 08-30-2011, 01:19 AM   #23
davericher20
black and blue

^^niiiiice
Dave is that you over there? or is that Dave's old car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:14 AM   #24
WiredRacing
1st Gear Newbie

That's certainly a nice motor in that touring.

There is that one E30 touring for sale that the owner has prtty much fixed every piece of rust he could find on it. It's tempting. It'd be a good base. Though as I already have an X1... it would feel a little redundant.

There's an M5 for sale for 9k as-is, 10500 cert/etested.. claims not a spec of rust. That would be a nice way to spend 10K. But I really don't wanna spend 10K.

Last edited by WiredRacing; 08-30-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #25
njansenv
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
I'm sorry but for a super minty body, meaning NO rust, not some, but NO rust, and mechanically sound meaning all of the rubber bushings, and ball joints and tie rods and so on were replaced, $6000 is not realistic. $8g's maybe, but not $6g's, if you find one for that price let me know and I'll buy it!
Really? They're worth that much? I'll throw an M50 in mine and you can have it for 8g's, no question.

Gone: '99 M3 vert, '98 M3 sedan, '91 E30, '89 E30, '87 E30, '91 Euro M5, '93 6-speed Corvette, STI v8 swapped '98 Impreza, '73 2002, 2004 325iT
njansenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #26
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

^^Throw an M50 in there and I wouldn't give 2g's for it.^^

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #27
lost
2nd Gear Member

Peoples view of clean differ so significantly, especially when everyone has an emotional attachment to a car and a financial investment that it seems not matter how big of a pile the car may be that when it comes time to sell it is suddenly 'clean'. I see so many e30's for $3k to $6k that I wouldn't pay $1k for.

I was impulsive and and bought my touring sight un-seen and had it shipped up to me. I did the calcs and based on what it had and what it was the price point seemed ok, especially since the previous owner said over and over upon question that the car was mint and rust free.

Well the rust however not alot was free but the car was not anywhere near mint in my eyes. $2.5k later and it was saftied and on the road, put about 150kms on it and pulled it back off when I put it up on my lift to fab up a new exhaust. Being the individual I am and believing that rust needs to be cut out and replaced with new metal, I began the process.

I have one small hole in the firewall left that will be fixed when I pull the carpet again.

I have no problem doing the cutting and welding and infact quite enjoy it, just lack time. The mechanical and electrical however is not so much fun.

Currently the car is nowhere near mint in my eyes, but the body is almost rust free now, and if it doesn't move soon I'll keep it and plug away over the winter as time permits so come spring it will be mint and I'll dd it.

Goodluck in your search, but it seems most of these cars have been messed with or messed up in one way or another.

There was a metal bumpered cab I saw a few months ago on the front of someones driveway that from the road and 20ft away looked mint and stock. They would put it out in the morning and move it to the garage at night. If I go by there I'll see what the details are.
lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #28
WiredRacing
1st Gear Newbie

That's be awesome. Thanks.

While I don't disagree that peoples emotional attachment and financial investment with it effect their mental state. It really only takes asking yourself a few questions to figure out what the reality is.

For me on the RSX I'm selling, I can't get people to come look at it (280+ k scares'em away). If you look on the trader, the price for that car varies wildly and that's with people at 180K. I know my car is clean. It's not mint, the hood will eventually start to show surface rust and I've recently "repaired" the rear 1/4's which look a whole lot better than rust and should certainly stop it for a number of years if my past 1/4panel job is any indication (5 years and it still looks good (friend bough the car). So I dropped the price. Got one guy out.. and he says he'll think about it then lowballs me. There's no way he will find a better car for the price. He may find one with less km's on it, or me may be willing to spend another grand or two for less perceived hassle. But in the end, there are no surprises when you come to look at that car. It doesn't need a thing and everything works, even the tires are fresh. The price is fair... but I'm sure I'm going to have to drop the price a bit more again to get enough volume to see it to finally sell it. Basically I have a car that's between average and mint. I can't demand "mint" dollars so I'll have to suffer for eveyrone else lowering the bar so much.

Like I'll get messages from people who haven't even seen it saying "the most I'll pay is $3800" or "4K, miles are too high". Course this car properly maintained should easily do another 120K on that motor/tranny. That's 4-5 years of average use.

Problem is, like a number of the guys here selling their E30's... I don't NEED to sell it, and there's a price point where it makes more sense to keep it.

But the car is so impractical for my situation and since I have patience to sell it, I can slowly move the price to hope I can get top dollar for it, as I believe it's condition deserves the higher end of the range for the car (4225 wholesale, 6225 retail).

Still.. if I found an E30 in the condition my RSX is in. I'd likely snap it up in a second.

Anyhow I appreciate your guys opinions on this. And it does seem for the most part, this is more a game for someone a little more passionate about the car than I think I am. I could still get lucky, but I can only spend so much time looking for one to where I might as well have bought the first one and just fixed it. If my time isn't money these days, it's a consumer of patience and stress which feel like they carry the same value to me at this time. I just feel like i could be playing with fire here. We'll see how I feel once I close this current car and see what the RSX does over the coming weeks.

Last edited by WiredRacing; 08-30-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #29
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble trouble View Post
^^throw an m50 in there and i wouldn't give 2g's for it.^^
lol
Old 08-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #30
njansenv
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
^^Throw an M50 in there and I wouldn't give 2g's for it.^^
Prefer the M20? (serious question: I know it's OT, but I'm curious) You're basically saying you'd pay 4k MORE for an M20 car?
I'm currently getting ready to build a 3.0 M50, and I'm curious about what you don't like about the engine.
If I could get 6-8k for my (perfectly rust free, top to bottom) sedan with an M20 (like you suggested), I'd jump at the chance.

Gone: '99 M3 vert, '98 M3 sedan, '91 E30, '89 E30, '87 E30, '91 Euro M5, '93 6-speed Corvette, STI v8 swapped '98 Impreza, '73 2002, 2004 325iT

Last edited by njansenv; 08-30-2011 at 11:09 AM.
njansenv is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: