Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #91
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
-Got around Rogers VOIP blocking (they're lazy, and just block a few UDP ports.)
-Fixed one way audio NAT issue
Must be an iphone only issue.

I've never had an issue wit SIP on my Android... no hacking or anything needed.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #92
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
What UDP ports is it set to use for RDP? Are you on rogers? Do you manually set the RTP QOS? Do you use g729a? Who's your SIP provider? I'd be very surprised if your android app didn't use a proxy (could be the SIP sp's own proxy), very few 3G service providers leave voip ports open and/or dont qos throttle other encoded voice traffic.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, graves
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:30 AM   #93
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

^^ holy damn, phone experts
Old 11-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #94
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
What UDP ports is it set to use for RDP? Are you on rogers? Do you manually set the RTP QOS? Do you use g729a? Who's your SIP provider? I'd be very surprised if your android app didn't use a proxy (could be the SIP sp's own proxy), very few 3G service providers leave voip ports open and/or dont qos throttle other encoded voice traffic.

UDP Port: 0
TCP Port: 0
RTP Port: 4000 (default)
QoS disabled

No proxy, yes I'm on Rogers.

SIP provider is voip.ms, and G729a is a narrowband Codec, I use G722 which is a wideband codec far better voice quality.

No proxies that I can see, not on my current SIP program or the other two I've tried before.

This is the app I'm currently using: http://code.google.com/p/csipsimple/
Old 11-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #95
propr'one
op sucks cock

Interesting, i'll look at the settings.

I dont think its possible your UDP port is really zero (voip requires at least 3 ports from what i know). Looks like that app is probably set up to get around 3g restrictions. (They're not hard to circumvent).

Thanks man, still got some playing around to do. I'm not going to spend too much time until i get my virgin data plan, as virgin uses bell's network not rogers, which has different filtering.

How do you like voip.ms? Are you sure you're using G722? It says it only supports G711-u

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Old 11-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #96
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

sorry yes you're right, these are the supported codecs of voip.ms:

G.711 (μ-law / pcmu) , G.729 and GSM.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #97
propr'one
op sucks cock

Thanks man, i'm using port 4000 as my listening port, this is much more stable.

I'll post some QOS settings once i ask nelson lots of n00b questions.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #98
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
PM me if you wanna sell the Desire Z. I need a keyboard, and android looks fun (I have a BB torch now) My wife got the Galaxy S2 ... it's a damn nice phone for sure. Battaery problems at first (would only last 7 hrs!). After some ****ing around and removing shit, it now lasts 3 days, which is awesome for droids apparently.
Honestly, I went to some cellphone stores to check out what's new, and I don't think it's worth getting a new phone. I love my phone the way I have customized for my needs.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #99
propr'one
op sucks cock

Sasha, I took your advice, i signed up for voip.ms.

Its definately better than freephoneline.ca for mobile usage. My jitter is around 8-19msec, with about 110ms total one way latency. Calls are pretty clear, and drop packets infrequently.

I"m currently using their chicago server, as although i'm closer (routing wise) to the seattle server it seems to drop more packets.

A few things that i've learned: It is illegal (CRTC) for rogers/any other wireless carrier to throttle/block any traffic, period.

Most softphone apps dont have jitter buffers, or dont have configurable jitter buffers, or dont have configurable jitter buffers that work well. You want to make sure that the packet size (default of 20msec) is greater than the maximum normal jitter you get. (so if your average highest jitter in a call is 22 msec, set your packet size to 30).

This is do-able. Anyone want my cell plan? I might be able to get you an additional 80$ worth of one time credits.

Edit: Since voip.ms not only charges a monthly fee for inbound dialing numbers, but the fee varies 99 cents a month in toronto, 1.99$ in calgary. I figured i'd add:
You can sign up for a toronto inbound number from voip.ms (to get the cheaper rate.) (.99$ a month)
Then sign up for a freephoneline.ca account with the area code you want (calgary). (free)
Forward the freephoneline.ca account to your toronto voip.ms number (free)
Set voip.ms to spoof your caller-id as your freephoneline.ca number. (free)

Your phone will when you dial the freephoneline.ca number (calgary)
On outbound calls, the number will show as your freephonline.ca number (calgary, because its spoofed).

Finally, i got the handoff between 3g and wifi to work, so i can leave wifi off (on=kills battery), have calls pushed to my phone over 3G, answered in 3G, the phone automatically wakes up in a call, if in range of wifi it will connect and handoff the traffic from 3g to wifi. Not that voip uses any traffic anyways (IRL used 9.1 combined mb talking to my dad yesterday for 32 minutes), all my voip traffic at home will go over 802.11g anywayyyyyyyyyyy.

Last edited by propr'one; 11-11-2011 at 02:14 PM. Reason: no one cares, but i need a record of what i've done.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #100
sirex
King Sirex

so wait can you explain what you've set up then???

my understanding from skimming this thread is that you have a cell phone plan that has lots of data and just make phone calls using VOIP?
Old 11-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #101
propr'one
op sucks cock

^^correct. Except i dont have "lots" of data (i'm still with rogers, 500mb data) but i will eventually ditch them for virgin's data-only plan.

Voip uses less than 20mb an hour. So if you dedicate 1/3rd of a 500mb data package to calling, you get 500 minutes a month of talk time + 333mb of data (for 20$).

Add inbound calling on a toronto number (99 cents a month, plus 0.005$ a minute*500 minutes) = 3.49

Data plan 20.00$
Voip plan 3.49$

And that's with lots of data. The 500 minutes are anytime minutes including LD (Canada AND USA).

On the flex plan, if you want to use 5GB (practically speaking, unlimited voip calling) its 15$ a month more. This plan will also drop down to the lowest tier every month, so if you're away, or dont use your phone very much, your monthly data charge is 5$.

Last edited by propr'one; 11-11-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #102
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
^^if its not free for people in canada to send me texts, its not useful for me. (so it has to be a canadian number)
(289) is a canadian area code, so it is free....
I was just saying that I already have a 416 number, that i should have selected a US number, that way US ppl could have sent me texts for free.

Also, voip.ms is great, I have it setup at home as my 'landline' for use with my home alarm. They all tell me it won't work with voip, but when I call ran several tests while on the voip line, they were able to see all the signals and receive their codes from the alarm system.....I just didn't mention to them it was coming through a voip line.

$25 credit that i started with lasted me over a year, we don't use the landline much but it included some long distance calls. Completely worth it, only setup costs was the cost of the Linksys ATA, which allows me to use any regular phone and powers my complete house wiring when hooked upto my Demarcation point in the house. The home alarm system is connected to it without even knowing.

I tried using a sip client on my iPhone, but never really played around with the configuration, I couldn't get calls to be reliable, plus didn't really have a need for it. It was just kool to have my iPhone ring when my house phone would ring.

Last edited by T.Dot_E30; 11-11-2011 at 03:52 PM.
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #103
propr'one
op sucks cock

Updating thread again:
-Bought subsidized 4S from rogers (renewed 36 mo)
-Sold subsidized 4s (for retail, LOL)
-Gave away rogers retention plan (for free, wasn't that great)
-Signed up for Virgin 5$ flex data
up to 10MB is 5$
up to 250MB is 15$
up to 5GB is 35$
Resets automatically every month. No activation fee, no contract, can cancel anytime with 30 days notice.

So far:
-Put sim in phone, worked immediately after sync (2 min)
-APN settings had to be manually fixed (super easy)
-Push works
-the virgin(Bell) network here in alberta is much faster

Next:
Get heywire (free text & MMS) working (unfortunately, its on IOS4 which i dont want to run, will probably cave)
Get canadian number for heywire (2$ a month, includes unlimited texting to canada/usa/china)
Finalize grooveshark settings for voip.ms
possibly buy toronto voip.ms number for DID (1$ month)

I have never used more than 250mb data, and i do not use my cell phone for voice, so voip useage should be minimal. I'm going to have both my landline and cell line on simultaneous ring, so phone will never be used at home. (Even if i did use it @ home it would use wifi. 3G works as a fallback for wifi without dropping the call, but it will never switch back over to wifi after being on 3G.

I saved 500$ a month by telling rogers to go **** themselves. If you're mad, look forward to my upcoming post in the insurance thread.

Edit:
Other observations

The virgin sim card does have a phone number attached to it. It can place outbound calls. Have not tried inbound or texting, expect both to work. I'd like be charged/discovered if i use that a lot (virgin could check which device i'm using by running my IMEI) so i dont plan on ****ing with it. Nice knowing in an emergency i can still use GSM cellular. Also, i set up SBSettings to hide the phone, contacts and messaging app to prevent accidental use.

Last edited by propr'one; 04-12-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #104
gotcurry
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Updating thread again:
-Bought subsidized 4S from rogers (renewed 36 mo)
-Sold subsidized 4s (for retail, LOL)
-Gave away rogers retention plan (for free, wasn't that great)
-Signed up for Virgin 5$ flex data
up to 10MB is 5$
up to 250MB is 15$
up to 5GB is 35$
Resets automatically every month. No activation fee, no contract, can cancel anytime with 30 days notice.

So far:
-Put sim in phone, worked immediately after sync (2 min)
-APN settings had to be manually fixed (super easy)
-Push works
-the virgin(Bell) network here in alberta is much faster

Next:
Get heywire (free text & MMS) working (unfortunately, its on IOS4 which i dont want to run, will probably cave)
Get canadian number for heywire (2$ a month, includes unlimited texting to canada/usa/china)
Finalize grooveshark settings for voip.ms
possibly buy toronto voip.ms number for DID (1$ month)

I have never used more than 250mb data, and i do not use my cell phone for voice, so voip useage should be minimal. I'm going to have both my landline and cell line on simultaneous ring, so phone will never be used at home. (Even if i did use it @ home it would use wifi. 3G works as a fallback for wifi without dropping the call, but it will never switch back over to wifi after being on 3G.

I saved 500$ a month by telling rogers to go **** themselves. If you're mad, look forward to my upcoming post in the insurance thread.

Edit:
Other observations

The virgin sim card does have a phone number attached to it. It can place outbound calls. Have not tried inbound or texting, expect both to work. I'd like be charged/discovered if i use that a lot (virgin could check which device i'm using by running my IMEI) so i dont plan on ****ing with it. Nice knowing in an emergency i can still use GSM cellular. Also, i set up SBSettings to hide the phone, contacts and messaging app to prevent accidental use.

dang!! u r slick brother!! jokes aside, any genius ideas on robbing a bank??

[| aFe CAI || 3.38 LSD || M50 SWAP || SuperSprint Exhaust || H&R + Bilstein Sports |]
gotcurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #105
propr'one
op sucks cock

Everything works.

Using:
Groundwire 2.1 ->Voip.ms (1$ a month for 647 DID number, 0.01$ a min canada or USA premium routing)
Textplus (Free, including 647 number for SMS, MMS, thanks trevor)
http://unlockit.co.nz for custom APN data (init.bell.ca)

Difficulties: More or less none. Punching through bell's NAT was a bit of a PITA, but using a TCP proxy and multitasking/backgrounding proves a reliable solution. Wifi still isn't perfect, so this will just sit on 3G. That saves a lot of battery too.

Final thoughts: This works fairly well. If you talk on your phone all the time, or absolutely need it to work 100% reliably no matter what, you're ****ed anyway because no carrier in canada is that good. Hah. Seriously through, if you talk on your phone more than 30-40 minutes a month I do not recommend using data only. If, like me, push email/browsing/tethering is almost all you do on your device, i really recommend it.

My car insurance plus my cell phone bill, including taxes, is under 100$ a month

edit: I forgot to mention this, but all the apps needed are available on apprtrackr cracked for free on cydia (installous, on repo http://cydia.hackulo.us). You can also use IAP Cracker (on repo http://sinfuliphonerepo.com) to get the G729A codec for groundwire for free (it cracks in app purchases). Finally, watching TV on my iphone without worrying about data charges (thanks to actually having a reasonably priced data plan, & a slingbox at my parents house) is something i didn't think i'd use, but do, more than expected.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: