Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Rides
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #271
BigD
the misanthropist

Not cheap but looks like very good work. I always shake my head at guys who budget 500 bucks for an exhaust. Can it be done? Oh yeah, you're just gonna wish you didn't, sooner or later.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #272
cormier
6th Gear Member

Ya I'm happy with it. Just the muffler has to move back a bit but I'll need to cut a bit of the body so that it won't have to hang low.

Minor things making the car more drivable! Think I got the idle/start problem solved I think -- the stupid icv had fallen out of the grommet and left a huge hole for air...also pushed the injectors further into the manifold and bent the brackets a bit so they would stay

Got a new hood latch so it closes and some mounting hardware so there's no more zip ties on the front end :p

Coming together! Just gotta figure out the gear issue. Also pulled an obd1 TB and will replace that tomorrow. Found a mint hood insulation piece at Standard too which will clean up that ugly hood underside a bit

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #273
cormier
6th Gear Member

e30 is back in the garage! A necessary evil...

Few issues to be taken care of:

Tranny still has no 1/2 gears, 3/4 are getting worse. Ive gotta drop the tranny and get another ZF in. While its down I'm going to make the shifter carrier more secure on the back bracket to ensure no more contact between the selector rod and guibo (there has been contact now its evident on the guibo, but its not the issue with 1/2)

Motors running rough. I got a smoke test done, and no leaks to report. VERY rough idle now, and a terrible sound :S. Ive tried a different DME and tune and no difference. Need some time to look into it.

General tweaks -- Going to remove the flex disc in the steering coupler and replace with spacers. Wire tuck needs to be completed. Cluster needs to be investigated. Radio and gauge wiring finalized

Anyways, some pictures of the state it got put away in! There has been much progress and I'm really happy that I got to test it out this season and discover my issues. This is going to make everything a lot more focused, and I'm not too intimidated by the amount of work left

Old 09-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #274
cormier
6th Gear Member

A few more pix of the expansion tank and exhaust

Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #275
cormier
6th Gear Member

Wow it's been a while!

Finally got the chance to pull the tranny. The next one I get will have all 5 forward gears.

Got to take a look at the selector rod, the guibo only shows a tiny bit of contact but ill fix it to be higher up and out of the way before its back together

Probably the most important though, the flywheel was loose. All 8 ****in bolts. Going to have to figure that out but I'm very glad that the knocking sound is probably figured out. I was betting on this, but I was concerned about spun bearings.

On the hunt for a new ZF, going to pick up a set of Star Specs, and then ill get it all back together

Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #276
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier View Post
Wow it's been a while!

Finally got the chance to pull the tranny. The next one I get will have all 5 forward gears.

Got to take a look at the selector rod, the guibo only shows a tiny bit of contact but ill fix it to be higher up and out of the way before its back together

Probably the most important though, the flywheel was loose. All 8 ****in bolts. Going to have to figure that out but I'm very glad that the knocking sound is probably figured out. I was betting on this, but I was concerned about spun bearings.

On the hunt for a new ZF, going to pick up a set of Star Specs, and then ill get it all back together
Loose flywheel bolts could be either they weren't installed/TQ'd to the correct spec or driving around with a missing cyl(s) for long periods of time. Was the motor running fine or rough?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #277
cormier
6th Gear Member

The motor was only running a tad rough for the first bit due to a vacuum leak which was solved. After that, the only thing wrong was the knock that started small and got gradually louder over time. This noise I now associate with the flywheel being loose

When installing, I used all brand new hardware, torqued with torque wrench incrementally as per UUC instructions with red Loctite in addition to the Loctite that was already on the bolts. I just don't see how I could have screwed up so bad

Another strange note.... My flywheel looked like this :S

Firstly, why the hell is it covered in oil :S

Secondly, the ..."pitting"? Probably from bouncing against the rear seal? With that damage, I need a new flywheel right?

Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #278
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
The 'pitting' is from it walking around on the crankshaft... Hard to say how deep the marks are, if its not too bad maybe a machine shop could skim it to clean it up.

Also, its strange why there are thread marks inside the bolt holes... are the holes too small?

And why is one of the small bolts missing near the ring gear?

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #279
cormier
6th Gear Member

Thanks Rudy -- not sure where that little guy went, I think I would have noticed if it wasn't on there when I installed it. The holes seem properly sized, is it weird for the bolts to thread into the flywheel? The pitting isn't too bad but ill have to have it looked at. I don't want to thin out an already very light flywheel too much...

I'm just thinking back and thanking it for not coming off and ripping through my cabin... And torso lol

There's a few other cases of this happening as well that I found... All with LTW units

All that oil -- coming from the rear main then?

Also, as per this picture you're right, the holes aren't tapped... I should probably just get another stupid flywheel

Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #280
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Yeah the holes shouldn't be threaded otherwise it wouldn't tighten up properly.

If you can get a machine shop to skim it down a few tenths of a mm or so, it probably wouldn't hurt the alignment of anything, nor compromise its strength.

As for the oil, how does the main seal look? Is it just as dirty as the flywheel?

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #281
BigD
the misanthropist

If your fw bolts were loose, oil will come out of them, so the main seal might be OK.

What bolts did you use by the way, got a pic? If you use OEM bolts they're too long, you need caliper bolts, I think they're like 20mm long.

Did you have the metal shim plate under the bolts? I've heard of these flywheels coming loose when guys buy used ones and install the flywheels without the metal shim/washer thing, crushing 80 ft lb bolts into aluminum.

Last edited by BigD; 02-12-2013 at 12:06 PM.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #282
cormier
6th Gear Member

It was well dark by the time we got the tranny off, but the seal looked ok. I initially thought it to be coming out of the bolt holes like D said.

I ordered new hardware from UUC before install -- all new proper length bolts with the torque plate.

I'm just nervous now with those holes threaded, the missing screw, the damage and the fact that it came off once...

Before shot -- no missing screw, no damage

Bolting up

Old 02-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #283
BigD
the misanthropist

Well something went wrong with the install for sure. When I pulled my flywheel to rebuild the motor, my 3/4" impact gun had to work hard to get the bolts out, they weren't going anywhere.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #284
BigD
the misanthropist

Do you remember how long the bolts were, got a pic? The thread should be about the same as a wheel bolt. Ordering from UUC doesn't mean you got the right poop, I wouldn't trust that piece of shit as far as I could throw him.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #285
cormier
6th Gear Member

I don't have any pictures of the bolts... Ill have to take some with a ruler when I'm back up at the car. Good point though, I'll double check. Not a fan of Rob eh?

Apparently it is a bit common... http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=158795

Tags
build, dohc, e30, engine swap, s52

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: