Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Rides
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #196
cormier
6th Gear Member

I used the adapter piece from turner --

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-36...e-adapter.aspx

Worked like a charm super easy

Still need to find a plug for the hose going to the TB circuit, would rather not use a bolt or something ghetto

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #197
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
The adapter is not needed. I used the steel obd2 spider hose on my obd1 converted m52 works just fine!
Old 05-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #198
cormier
6th Gear Member

Hmm why does everyone say that those hoses aren't compatible? Good if it works

Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #199
cormier
6th Gear Member

And projects just don't want to cooperate.

The adapter from M12 to 1/8npt27 (needed to put my water to sender where my tb heater goes) does not fit.

It's from bimmerworld, for this purpose specifically. The sender still doesn't fit through. I ended up drilling it out a bit more and the sender fit, but the threads were really tough and I feel like I'm tapping the fitting :s

The sender is also shorter than the adapter-- even installed in the head it's not going to get anything flowing past.

I'm thinking of just running a hose from there to the OEM spider hose and going for an in-line setup instead of the stupidness that has been trying to put it in the head.

Also got brand new OEM fuel lines as mine were looking well used, and it seems like changing the vent line will require dropping the tank by an inch or two -- new tank in the past few years but it looks like one of the bolts was stripped going on (

Take the rear wheel off for a better view and find this

No, don't know what happened but looks like it was caught in the spring or something -- such an idiot

Not a great day :p

Upswing: brake lines almost complete in the front while the booster was mocked up, and I have begun the wire tuck process. Not as bad as I was expecting, but nothing picture-worthy yet.

M3 firewall cover also on order so I can get the harness on the motor buckled down and ready for insertion

Old 06-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #200
cormier
6th Gear Member

So after slowing down on this slightly (too much stress and deadlines just aren't good for you), we're back out here working

Finished the new brake lines, which I wanted to do before the motor was to drop

The old nasty corner of my engine bay was my least favorite before the swap but it looks like its going to turn into my most favorite with all the brand new shiny stuff there lol

We also put new clips on the brake line fittings so everythings nice and secure

Old fuel lines got dropped after a bit of time screwing with the old clamps. New ones went in without a problem (will get new clamps but just mocked up for fitting of the other components)

Still need to fit the two filters and external pump at the other end of the hard fuel lines and figure out the best way to mount the charcoal canister in that same corner of the bay :s

Instead of dropping the whole vent line from above the tank (it's just the stupid vent anyways), we cut the new line and will join with a hose.

On the motor side of things, drilled out that stupid BW adapter and mounted the sender in it and into the head. Not very confident on it but it there are problems we'll deal when we hit them. Manifold is now ready to go on, motor ready to be lifted and mated to tranny.

Other stuff to finish before dropping in: steering rack install (woohoo I think that's actually it lol)

Gettin so close! K now for wayyytoo many pictures curtesy of my new iPad

Hoping to work most of this week and have the motor fitted by Friday

Old 06-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #201
DIY
Permanently Dirty

looks awesome! keep it up!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #202
cormier
6th Gear Member

Thanks dude!

Got this mess sorted out yesterday too -- looks much nicer and more secure than before, I wish I had the time to drum up an in-trunk custom system I love looking at pictures of those. Oh well, this will work just fine.

Also managed to fit both filters in this area so that the charcoal canister is all that has to go below the booster. Got that mounted just with zip-ties as well but no pictures. Ah the pains of a two-pump system...

Real injection hose used throughout

My e46 needs some lovin too-- so in for an oil change at bimmersport tomorrow morning then right back out there to get the rack in

Old 07-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #203
cormier
6th Gear Member

So a little confused about my Konis... Not much install info out there and the stupid instructions are all cryptic :p

The collar will only thread down this far

It bottoms out on the body of the insert

I'm wondering if that's what it's referring to here under III, it says up to 1-4mm gap?

I'm thinking of just cutting down the collar piece to fit...

Side note but is it referring to antifreeze or cold water or something on the top left of that diagram?

Also gotta find one of those tools to tighten it down or else make one or something...

Old 07-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #204
BrianM
2nd Gear Member

yeeesh, I'd have a hard go at making heads or tails of those diagrams, but enjoying the pics as it's coming along. I've been wondering how your project has been going!
BrianM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #205
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Late model strut housings? "I" style is larger diameter, might be the issue here. Did you try reusing the stock lock ring?

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #206
cormier
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
Late model strut housings? "I" style is larger diameter, might be the issue here. Did you try reusing the stock lock ring?
Lock ring you mean the threaded collar piece? The old ones were destroyed... These are late model strut housings with late model front inserts. I had tried them in my stock housings and found out the diameter issue a while ago :p. the diameter will prevent the strut from going in at all so I got these used housings off a late model

The collars are brand new OEM :s

Strange part is that it looks like the struts are flush with the top of the housings, so I don't see how the collars could possibly fit :s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
yeeesh, I'd have a hard go at making heads or tails of those diagrams, but enjoying the pics as it's coming along. I've been wondering how your project has been going!
Ya the diagrams are pretty messed :p

Project as a whole has slowed down considerably with the extra distractions of summer but hoping to get ahead soon!

Old 07-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #207
cormier
6th Gear Member

Posted on r3v with some good response so far, I think the gap is normal and I'll tighten down onto the insert

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255731

Old 07-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #208
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Yeah, I recently re-built a set of front housings and had the same thing happen with KYB shocks. It's because they changed the gland nut design. I preferred the old design with the hex outside (I like the gland nut that comes with the GC coils the most). But if you think about it you do want a gap because there you want the gland nut to be pushing against the shock, not bottoming on the housing.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #209
cormier
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Yeah, I recently re-built a set of front housings and had the same thing happen with KYB shocks. It's because they changed the gland nut design. I preferred the old design with the hex outside (I like the gland nut that comes with the GC coils the most). But if you think about it you do want a gap because there you want the gland nut to be pushing against the shock, not bottoming on the housing.
Thanks dude, ya I tightened them as much as I could, will keep my eyes out for something better to use.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #210
cormier
6th Gear Member

Bit of progress over the last few days

Got the rack bolted up! No modification to the knuckle necessary. New guibo and hardware as well.

Strut assemblies back in with UUC camber plates

On the engine side: UUC st.2 flywheel, clutch, pressure plate installed. Tranny mounted after new T/O bearing, pin, tube and seal. Slave and starter also attached.

Some Pix!

Also thinking into the electrical. I have a few ideas about the wire tuck that I'll post when I compile my thoughts lol.

Tags
build, dohc, e30, engine swap, s52

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: