Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Rides
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #166
BigD
the misanthropist

I have two of those, I simply use a female spade connector. Fits perfect and sits snug. They're tapered on the end so they catch the circle perfectly.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #167
cormier
6th Gear Member

^^ I had those lying around too and will use them

Belts on --still need that second alternator bolt

Brackets mocked up

CCV / ICV assembly fitted. Need to shorten the hose from ICV to throttle boot, but the manifold kit came with a neat little copper/shrink tube adapter piece . Also need to figure out which vacuum ports on the mounting plate can be blocked off (secondary air pump stufff) and get a plug of some sort. Also looking for something to plug the rubber heater hose going to the TB that won't be used

Also changed the MTL in the ZF gearbox to redline and installed the Turner coolant pipe adapter fitting

Got all the part numbers for the bellhousing bolts, slave mounts, bleeder screw etc together and ready for order from Maranello tomorrow
Headin out to town tonight to grab some pieces, then should be able to start wiring up the motor, installing/wiring the senders

Last edited by cormier; 03-21-2012 at 04:16 PM.
cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #168
Woofer
6th Gear Member

I can't wait to see all these projects going on!!!
Offer still stands if you don't mind me shadowing while you throw the rack on.

Looking good!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #169
cormier
6th Gear Member

^^ ya I can't wait to see it either lmao

Of course you're welcome, as long as you dont mind helping and listening to my cussing lol! We have to wait until the car gets back, next week I would guess. Sometime after that for sure!

Old 03-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #170
cormier
6th Gear Member

Started wiring up the motor today, realized I have everything labelled except the + and grounds, which are tres confusing!

So we have these wires under the manifold -- alternator?

These over by the DME connector (battery)?

By the diagnostic connector (starter? fusebox power?)

By the relays (starter? fusebox power?)

I also don't know if I got the relays right, I used the ones from an OBD2 harness, I'm going to have to dig into the ETM and make sure theyre correct

Old 03-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #171
Woofer
6th Gear Member

From what i remember when we did my buddy's swap, I think you got most of those right. Any chance you can get an e30/e36 there for reference?

You are very close to the top of the hill my friend lol!
Old 03-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #172
cormier
6th Gear Member

^^ I'm kicking myself for not checking an obd1 e36 while I was at the scrapyard

Old 03-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #173
nate_s89
3rd Gear Member

Cormier the three in the first pic look like the wires for the starter. If I remember correctly there were 4 wires going to it. The three little ones, and the large red one.
nate_s89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #174
cormier
6th Gear Member

Thanks Nate I just have to stop being lazy and take a better look searching, I'm sure it won't be hard

What's pissin me off now is I have 2 1/8 NPT temp senders and a pressure sender, the pressure sender came with a proper metric kit including an M12x1.5

I ordered other fittings for the temp senders but the hole in the middle is too small to fit the temp sender through. Contacted egauges and they tell me there's no good 1/8 to m12 adapter for the temp senders and to try an autometer sender and fitting instead.

Like WTF I'm sure that fitting that came with the pressure sender works perfectly for the temp ones as well, gotta double check but how is a stupid little piece of brass so damn complicated. If that fitting works I'll find another damn way to get 2 more of them-- I really don't want to go with senders from another company if I don't have to

Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #175
cormier
6th Gear Member

Ran the gauge sender wires through the harness, all stealth-like . Heat shrink tubing is my new favorite product

Leaving the other end until I figure out what to do about senders

Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #176
nate_s89
3rd Gear Member

Cormier I ghetto rigged my temp sender for my autometer gauge into that port without having to buy a fitting. Definitely not as pretty but it will work until I figure out a fitting. I can send ya a pic if you want.
And as for the starter it is 4 wires, one small, one slightly larger, and red power, and then another red that uses the same terminal as the power but just joins the starter and alternator. Terminal size corresponds to wire size so its pretty straight forward.

On your M50 manifold there is a hole on the bottom, closest to the firewall side, do you know what goes there? I have nothing in mine and cant find any pieces that fit. If I remember correctly it was a clip in connector with a thinner rubber hose going to it.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #177
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

^^^that little thin hose to that cylinder shaped clip piece is a vaccum line tht goes goes to the intake boot.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #178
nate_s89
3rd Gear Member

^Isn't it the vacuum line for the FPR?

And cormier the two wires that are by the DME are for the positive terminal that's in the engine bay.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #179
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

^^^ahhh f word, yes you're right. my mistake!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #180
cormier
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the starter/alternator clarification, I havent got the starter mounted yet but when I do I'll make sure everythings run properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate_s89 View Post
Cormier I ghetto rigged my temp sender for my autometer gauge into that port without having to buy a fitting. Definitely not as pretty but it will work until I figure out a fitting. I can send ya a pic if you want.
On your M50 manifold there is a hole on the bottom, closest to the firewall side, do you know what goes there? I have nothing in mine and cant find any pieces that fit. If I remember correctly it was a clip in connector with a thinner rubber hose going to it.
How do you mean? My sender simply wont fit in the hole, too small at 1/8th. I bought the 1/8th NPT senders because I didnt think sourcing a fitting would be this hard! I think another sender may be the best option but I have to make sure it has the same ohm range as the VDO gauges require (Im not too hot on electrical stuff, but that should be ok ). I'll try to find them today online and report back.

Ya its a round clip with a prong in it, and a little nipple coming out for the vacuum hose to the OBD1 FPR. I believe if youre just using the M50 manifold though without the OBD1 fuel rail you block this off--Turner sent be a block off one with my conversion kit....buuuuttt i broke it. lucky i didnt need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate_s89 View Post
And cormier the two wires that are by the DME are for the positive terminal that's in the engine bay.
Thanks -- I figured as much but I have the battery up front, I need a distribution block or something I think. I've seen these on e36s...I can just make a smaller + lead to the battery. Don't really want to run a battery cable all the way to the trunk just yet... maybe next year

I dont need fusebox + though right? If I get all the other stuff hooked up it'll be the last one left over lol. Then I'll get my wire snips out.

P.s still missing the lower mounting bolt for the alternator. I've tried every bolt in the freaking pulley/belt diagram and nothing fits. Can't find any M bolts that size at the hardware store either.

Last edited by cormier; 04-04-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Tags
build, dohc, e30, engine swap, s52

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: