Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Rides
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #136
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier View Post
Color change is back on the table. After seeing some great examples of fresh paint at OctaneArt, I realized how much I hate my paint currently. I love grey, but either the Polaris itself or the job that was done on my car previously doesn't tickle my fancy. There's runs on the body and the color is just flat and boring.

So I'm going to go with another grey / silver for the bay now, with the intention of getting the rest of the body color done next fall (I need another project lined up anyways). There's a lot more visual ... "refreshments" that I'd like to do next winter at the same time.

I'm pretty much set on Lachssilber, because it's beautiful and Sooo close to Polaris that it wont look hideous this year mismatched. Other contenders are sterling silver, delphin grey and some Audi colors (which are generally a bit darker)

Will post some Lachssilber pix for encouragement for myself. Bottom line -- what's the point of doing all this work and hating the color?!
Being a previous owner of a lach car myself, (a couple, but only one I actually drove) it's an awesome colour, but I found myself wanting more grey, favourite e30 colour being delphin and alpine white. I like the idea of staying closer to the original as it makes the car look ghetto if you don't, that or your spending more then its worth painting everything.

old pics of my lach car

round 1 of paint

round 2 (never properly finished basically just did the shell, planned on doing doors/fenders/etc later but it never happened)

Sorry for whoring, got a little caught up in old memories, its funny, you paint it what you think you want, and then look back and wish you left it original.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #137
cormier
6th Gear Member

Haha youre more than welcome to whore the thread! I like seeing the pix

Let me ask you though -- your first pix are lach then on round two you wanted to go darker? Lach is darker than my current polaris (which is what I want) but its hard from looking through all these pictures to get a sense of just how much darker -- its a weird colour lol looks darker than it is sometimes

I looked at delphin too, its just a bit darker than Lach eh?

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #138
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Haha youre more than welcome to whore the thread! I like seeing the pix

Let me ask you though -- your first pix are lach then on round two you wanted to go darker? Lach is darker than my current polaris (which is what I want) but its hard from looking through all these pictures to get a sense of just how much darker -- its a weird colour lol looks darker than it is sometimes

I looked at delphin too, its just a bit darker than Lach eh?
Here's a pic of the car when I got it with original paint, round one was paint matched but ended up slightly darker, round 2 was about the same, just layed down the paint a little better so it was a bit more metallic and much more gloss looking. (round one was my first attempt at painting a car)

Here's delphin, its quite a bit darker then lach, if anything lach is more like silver, and delphin is grey.

I would suggest looking into steel grey from the e46 m3, it's a colour I'd always wanted to do.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #139
cormier
6th Gear Member

Ya that e46 color is epic, always been a favorite. Decisions decisions. I actually really like your second spray, if my results are anything like that it would be awesome.

I don't know how much darker I'd want to go -- delphin and steel grey are awesome though... I may have to decide it over a coin toss... Or a ton of beer

I wonder if anyone around here has a Lachssilber e30 so I could take a look in person

Old 03-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #140
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Ya that e46 color is epic, always been a favorite. Decisions decisions. I actually really like your second spray, if my results are anything like that it would be awesome.

I don't know how much darker I'd want to go -- delphin and steel grey are awesome though... I may have to decide it over a coin toss... Or a ton of beer

I wonder if anyone around here has a Lachssilber e30 so I could take a look in person
Thats probably your best bet (seeing it in person), I've never lost my love for delphin, but currently fixating on Qimis's e30 from back in the day (relatively lol) it's what started my obsession with e30's, and now that I have the silver rs's, I'm itching for it even more

If you want to see zinno, calypso, or diamond shwartz in person I have all three thanks to the newest edition of e30 parts car today. I also have arktic silber and titansilber e36's, one being the daily and one parts car.

edit: post of qimis's car for pictures sake drooooool

Last edited by 325isStephen; 03-10-2012 at 12:08 AM.
325isStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:45 AM   #141
Woofer
6th Gear Member

^^ I remember that car very well. I loved the interior it had. Does he still have it?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #142
egye30
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to egye30

i know you've prob seen this sig on r3v before, but i love that grey.. not sure which one it is lol

1990 325i Sterling Silver Metallic/Black leather.
M52B28 OBD-I W/ S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, SS Headers, Short ram intake, Stage 2 clutch w/ 14lb flywheel, Mark D chip tune.
Bilstein Sports with Eibach Pro springs + E90 drop hats, F+R Strut bars, '04 330ci Steering rack (3.0 Lock to lock, 13:1)
Custom Built BBS RS's 16x8 square.
egye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #143
cormier
6th Gear Member

Yaya I see that sig a bunch -- I think maybe delphin? Or custom a bit darker than that? it's a little too much for me to pull off, blacked out has never been my thing

That said if I kept some lighter accents that color could work just fine :p

Old 03-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #144
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
^^ I remember that car very well. I loved the interior it had. Does he still have it?
Interior was definitely one of the best features of that car.

It got sold to David.A off bimmerforums a few years back, and since has changed hands atleast 5 times, currently for sale on stanceworks for 6800.00 without the wheels, mtech, tail lights and some other things, however its bagged in the back and the same kw coils up front. It's a shame, but as far as I know the car is quite rusty and the rear fender pull was pretty haggard.

On topic.... Delphin
Old 03-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #145
cormier
6th Gear Member

Thats too bad about that car! That picture is awesome

Test fit of the decorative cover, cut out space for the obd1 coil wires

Old 03-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #146
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

Looking good ;-)
BmW1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #147
cormier
6th Gear Member

Thanks man! Also thx for the link you PM'd me I think it's my final Lachssilber motivation lol

http://ryan.tobinhosting.com/S54-Swap?page=1

Old 03-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #148
nate_s89
3rd Gear Member

Cormier where did you get the bolts to bolt the engine to the stand?
nate_s89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #149
cormier
6th Gear Member

The stand actually came with the bolts! I believe they are M12. I don't have it positioned that well on the mount lol. When I take the crane out of the back ill re-adjust it and put it on a new, more stable stand that my buddy has

Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #150
nate_s89
3rd Gear Member

Ah lucky. None of the bolts I have are long enough.

Princess auto had a sale on, 1250lb cap. engine stand for $65. I couldn't resist.
nate_s89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, dohc, e30, engine swap, s52

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: