Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #16
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

When you get to extreme examples you'll see that synthetic is always better.

Try vehicles in Antarctica or lubricants in the space program. They use synthetic for a reason. Does everyone need to use them? No. If you want your engine to last a long time, and you drive it all winter, I suggest you use 5w50 synthetic. Try pouring 5w50Syn and 5w30dino at the same time, at -45c. Imagine the oil pump trying to pump it...

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #17
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

lubromoly 5w40
Old 08-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #18
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDice View Post
When you get to extreme examples you'll see that synthetic is always better.

Try vehicles in Antarctica or lubricants in the space program. They use synthetic for a reason. Does everyone need to use them? No. If you want your engine to last a long time, and you drive it all winter, I suggest you use 5w50 synthetic. Try pouring 5w50Syn and 5w30dino at the same time, at -45c. Imagine the oil pump trying to pump it...
If an engine gets beaten on for 350,000km and still has full compression using only mineral oil it's entire life, why would I or anyone need synthetic? Especially with the extra cost associated with it, and the fact that living and driving in TO. is not considered an extreme example??? Face it, people just use it because they got sold on it!

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #19
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
If an engine gets beaten on for 350,000km and still has full compression using only mineral oil it's entire life, why would I or anyone need synthetic? Especially with the extra cost associated with it, and the fact that living and driving in TO. is not considered an extreme example??? Face it, people just use it because they got sold on it!
BmW1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #20
Robb
EX E30 M3 Owner

Well, I just did my oil change today on the CRX using the OE Amsoil 5w30.
For a case of 12, I paid $57.60 + HST which is $4.80 a quart ! I ordered it through my dealership. Canadian tire charges $14.99 a quart for the same thing !

Basically I paid $4.80 a quart x 3.5 Litres used = $16.80 + $6.00 Napa Gold oil filter = $22.80 + HST

Most shops charge you $69.00 + HST for a synthetic oil change !!
If you need to make an order, use this place !

http://www.pascosynthetics.com/

Here's some info on it. It's a really cheaply priced Synthetic, perfect for daily driven cars that arent raced !

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2051025

Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #21
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
You do understand that going synthetic means your OCI's can be extended to offset the cost. Plus they have better detergents, don't break down as easily, flow better when cold, don't break down as easily when hot, etc, etc.

All positives and no negatives at all compared to dyno oil.

There really is no argument here, other then the fact that you are happy with dyno oil. But synthetic oil is better all around.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #22
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

^^what are OCI's? and I strongly believe in if something isn't broken, then don't fix it. It supposedly flows better, OCI's can be extended better detergents doesn't break down as easily etc. etc. as you said. But what does this all mean if dyno oil lubricates my engine perfectly well and causes no damage, no unnecessary wear, is recommended by the manufacturer, costs less, then why would I or should I use much more expensive synthetic???

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #23
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

kinda off topic .. but is molyslip good for ur car? or bad for ur car in a long run?

my vdub friends keep telling me i shouldnt use it...
Old 09-04-2011, 02:00 AM   #24
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

You perhaps shouldn't need to use synthetic.

When I lived in northern Quebec the ambient temperature would be lower than -40c for about a week or two. I found that even with 5w30 with the block heater it was a bit hard to start on those days. Running the 5w50 I never had an issue starting even without the block heater.

This is one example I like to use as I still drive up there at least once every winter, and I like how I can have the nice low temp cold start flow, and have it not thin past a 50 weight when up to temp. No normal oil can do this.

Further to this point not all synthetics have similar properties, some are preferable to others in certain circumstances.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 09-04-2011 at 02:05 AM.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #25
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
^^what are OCI's? and I strongly believe in if something isn't broken, then don't fix it. It supposedly flows better, OCI's can be extended better detergents doesn't break down as easily etc. etc. as you said. But what does this all mean if dyno oil lubricates my engine perfectly well and causes no damage, no unnecessary wear, is recommended by the manufacturer, costs less, then why would I or should I use much more expensive synthetic???
Listen I am not here to convert you to use synthetic. But regardless of what you choose to use or believe, synthetic oil is better then dyno in every way.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #26
MisTAmaN
2nd Gear Member

i got my first oil change coming up soon on this current vehicle im driving with and got an amazing deal on 5w50 Qs syn oil.i currently have inside castrol gtx non-syn 10w30 and runs pretty decent. a little loud tick every now and then 2500-3500rpm range but does the job.

previous cars which were all m20's either had 5w30 castrol syntec or 5w30 castrol hi-mile plus lucas stabilizer. i didn't notice the difference of any unless hard driving at cold starts when im running late for work. in the hot/cold GTA weather it seems to keep up, maybe i don't know when the oil is breaking down.

my real questions besides using the Qs syn 5w50, does the decision of oil depend mostly on the degrees of weather or the driving habits of the driver?

now i know of synthetics out performing conventional oil, but from reading this and other forums people are using 15w40 5w40 20w50 5w50 0w40 0w30 as common oils to use, but
what ever happen to just 5w30 and 10w30? i thought these are the most common in overall protection and all vehicles, especially back in the the day.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #27
mr ilia
3rd Gear Member

M42 - 10w30, Castrol, mineral oil.
I've never used Synthetic in any of my cars. Never had a problem with that. My oil changes are done within 7500 to 10000km interval. 5000km oil changes is a pure marketing ploy..never believed it even for a second.

Sorry, my bad, I used synthetic in my e46, as it was recommended oil with oil changes every 20000km (?)....all other cars, Toyotas, Hondas, E30, Nissans and Chevys always got mineral oil and usually Castrol.
mr ilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #28
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ilia View Post
M42 - 10w30, Castrol, mineral oil.
I've never used Synthetic in any of my cars. Never had a problem with that. My oil changes are done within 7500 to 10000km interval. 5000km oil changes is a pure marketing ploy..never believed it even for a second.

Sorry, my bad, I used synthetic in my e46, as it was recommended oil with oil changes every 20000km (?)....all other cars, Toyotas, Hondas, E30, Nissans and Chevys always got mineral oil and usually Castrol.
I read an academic journal recently on Google Scholar that was talking about exactly. California I know is urging people to wait on the oil changes for 7500-10000 kms. Maybe years ago when oils and engines were not as good at they are today, but with all the additives now, oil works very well and lasts a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #29
adam325i
3rd Gear Member

If you use regular oil and its super cold outside. Squirt little bit of gasoline to get the oil flowing.

I agree with Dble Trouble. Regular oil changes and if something breaks, fix it. My car has over 320,000 km. Seen 4 track days, bounces off the rev limiter all day long and still has good compression.

Synthetic has a purpose and a places, its great for some people, others its not needed.

20w50 is what i usually use.
adam325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #30
L8 Apexr
2nd Gear Member

Stay away from redline synthetic for winter use,I ran it in my ice race car years ago untill I rolled the car one race and lost some oil.Pounded out the dents,reinstalled the lexan windsheild,grabbed the spare jug of redline and......what the hell I had to squeeze it out of the bottle.

That was at maybe -15 at the most,I won't use that crap again.
L8 Apexr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: