Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
BADRAT
badratart.com

Thumbs down Windows rolling down, doors unlocking ON THIER OWN

its been crazy hot, and its really beating up my car. or my car is possessed. for one thing, the doors will not lock properly. i will stand by my car, lock it and it will unlock itself, its a constant battle. on top of that, the windows and sunroof will open! the worst thing is, it will do this when im not there! when im out, when i sleep the damn car will do this on its own!

any suggestions? some people think its the GM5 module, others think lock actuator others say the key fob. hmmm really annoying! please help
Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

the actuator itself can't do this. Did you install anything aftermarket such as an alarm system?

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
BADRAT
badratart.com

the only thing aftermarket that i could see doin this is the angel eyes. i have them remote wired, but because i dont have footwell lights i tapped into the central lighting right off of the module behind the glovebox. think this might have anything to do with it?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

I would go with lock cylinder in the drivers door. When you turn the key to unlock and hold it there, the windows open, the doors unlock, and the sunroof opens...exactly as you described. I'm guessing it's making contact when it shouldn't be and creating all these symptoms.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
BADRAT
badratart.com

Windows rolling down, doors unlocking ON THIER OWN

hmm thats odd, just tried that and nothing happens. counter clockwise unlocks drivers, clockwise locks, again counter clockwise opens all, clockwise locks drivers. no windows roll when held at any of those points. i have a 2000 323i

Edit: I've been away for a few days and my brother took the liberty to use my car. I just asked him, and he said he would manually unlock the door using the key. This is something I never do, I use the key fob button. Maybe it tweaked something when he did this? I stuck the key in now and fiddled with it, the doors locked without a fight... Maybe it'll stay locked. Ill report back if it gets crazy again. Well see
Old 07-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
BADRAT
badratart.com

Yup, everything is now good. Hope the problem doesn't arise in the future, for now it seems fixed

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

common problem in e46's it needs a door latch drivers side check you drivers door key cylinder to it might be broken to

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADRAT View Post
hmm thats odd, just tried that and nothing happens. counter clockwise unlocks drivers, clockwise locks, again counter clockwise opens all, clockwise locks drivers. no windows roll when held at any of those points. i have a 2000 323i

Edit: I've been away for a few days and my brother took the liberty to use my car. I just asked him, and he said he would manually unlock the door using the key. This is something I never do, I use the key fob button. Maybe it tweaked something when he did this? I stuck the key in now and fiddled with it, the doors locked without a fight... Maybe it'll stay locked. Ill report back if it gets crazy again. Well see
BmW1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
steve.325i
2nd Gear Member

^^^
+1

Yup, I agree with you guys. Driver door lock cylinder. The brother 'cleaned' the contacts by using it. Smart brother
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: