Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > BMW News
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

New M3 leads M Car boom

The next flagship BMW 3 Series will be powered by an amazing 450bhp tri-turbo engine...

Quote:
Get ready for a boom in M cars. The boss of BMW’s M Division, Dr Friedrich Nitschke, has confirmed that a raft of new models wearing the famous badge is on the way – with the M2 to be joined by a powerful M3 and a successor to the M1 supercar.

“Our pace of development must accelerate,” he told Auto Express in an exclusive interview. “We can build more cars, and we can build a wider range of cars.”

The new flagship 3 Series is due in 2014, and will feature a fresh 3.3-litre six-cylinder engine. This is set to get three turbos – one powered by electricity, rather than the exhaust gases – and is rumoured to offer 450bhp. A mix of steel and ultra-light carbon fibre-reinforced plastic in the body will help deliver huge pace.

But as Nitschke revealed, the car will also be efficient. “There will be a bigger focus on very low fuel consumption,” he said. “The new M3 will prove this.” However, this more eco-friendly approach won’t dilute the M Division’s high-performance appeal – as a replacement for the M1 supercar is finally coming close to reality.

This has been on the drawing board for more than 11 years, but only now does technology allow it to deliver the pace drivers would demand. “We have a fantastic history with the M1,” Dr Nitschke said. “The decision on developing this car is open. We’d love to do it.”

There’s no word on engines – but it would need a V10 or V12 to compete with rivals from Aston Martin, Lamborghini and Ferrari. If the project gets the green light, it’s unlikely to arrive before 2016.

The company is also looking at a successor to the ‘breadvan’ – the Nineties Z3M Coupe. “There’s no decision on an M version of the Z4,” added Dr Nitschke, “but this is something we could do easily.”

In addition, he spelled out a keenness for the M Division to “increase the speed with which we launch new models”. A lighter ‘CSL’ version of the new 1 Series M Coupe is on the cards, which could take cues from 2007’s tii concept.
source: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au..._car_boom.html

An electric turbo? I'll reserve judgement until I know more details, but the only time I've personally seen something like that is on ebay with those cheezy electric turbo kits.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

M2?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

^ 1M replacement when the 1-series goes 4-door fwd and the current rwd 1-series coupe/cabrio turns into a 2-series.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
fitter527
hates chrome

Fwd
fitter527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

With more M Cars coming down the pipe, other than the M5 and M3, it's really going to devalue the M Experience.

It will become like the Chevy SS branding. Stick it on everything including an Impala.

FWD BMW's...... oh boy.
MrRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Mystikal

^ I disagree, except for the current X5/X6M debacle. The 1M, M3, M5 and M6 are all unique and each hold their own in their respective classes. Once the SUV's have sold enough to pay for their R&D M should be back on track. The only additional models mentioned in the article are all reincarnations of small/light past models (CSL, M Coupe, Z4M, M1) so how is the brand being devalued?

@stancejay
Old 09-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

^ I don't agree though.

The Volume of "M's" being put out, will make them not that special. Thus, devalue that brand.

It's like the Porsche GT2, GT3 cars are special. The Porsche "S" cars, basically depicts higher performance models, and seen everywhere.

Having "M"'s for all sorts of models, especially the 1 Series is a mistake. Time will tell on resale value.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Mystikal

In the 80s there were M models of every series but one (3, 5, 6) - only the 7 was spared. Today there are many many many more series and M smartly stays away from half of them (1 non-coupe variants, X1, X3, Z4, 5GT, 7). Excluding the SUVs they have 4 models. 10 years ago they had 4 models. 25 years ago they had 3 models. There's nothing new going on here.

@stancejay
Old 09-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
In the 80s there were M models of every series but one (3, 5, 6) - only the 7 was spared. Today there are many many many more series and M smartly stays away from half of them (1 non-coupe variants, X1, X3, Z4, 5GT, 7). Excluding the SUVs they have 4 models. 10 years ago they had 4 models. 25 years ago they had 3 models. There's nothing new going on here.
It's also the volume of M Series cars being produced, not the number of models. They have 5 M Series cars now, and the SUV's being questionable.

M1, M X5, and M X6 should not have been created really....

The M1 was already used.... I've always liked that car.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Arg why do people say M1? It's a 1M.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

m1 is the mid engine super car from..like decades ago...
and 1M is the orange vehicle that they just came out with....right?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRWD View Post
^ I don't agree though.

The Volume of "M's" being put out, will make them not that special. Thus, devalue that brand.

It's like the Porsche GT2, GT3 cars are special. The Porsche "S" cars, basically depicts higher performance models, and seen everywhere.

Having "M"'s for all sorts of models, especially the 1 Series is a mistake. Time will tell on resale value.
A true car enthusiast doesn't care about the "brand value", and instead appreciates that the company is providing excellent cars.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
Mirko
1st Gear Newbie

I want a lighter and better handling car that doesn't have useless tech in it. I don't care if they make it any faster than current ones. Where can I really use that power anyways? If I go 50km over they crush my car and toss me in jail.

Yeah .. yeah .. I know I am not their target market. Well .. my wallet is but my attitude isn't. lol
Mirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

A true car enthusiast, will appreciate those special tuned cars like the Type-R, M Series, AMG, Carol Shelby etc. - It doesn't matter what company makes them. A drivers car is a drivers car, especially when it's numbered or not high volume.

When they no longer start being special, due to volume, it's devauled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadesm5 View Post
A true car enthusiast doesn't care about the "brand value", and instead appreciates that the company is providing excellent cars.
^ This to me sounds more like a Fan Boy, than a true Enthusiast!

I love the E46 M3, because of the performance they able to obtain from that that I6. I also love the Integra Type-R. That is a piece of art as well.

What's the point of having a 1M and a 3M? 135i is enough for that class.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
Mystikal

Quote:
A true car enthusiast, will appreciate those special tuned cars like the Type-R, M Series, AMG, Carol Shelby etc. - It doesn't matter what company makes them. A drivers car is a drivers car, especially when it's numbered or not high volume.

When they no longer start being special, due to volume, it's devauled.
I'm an enthusiast who has a serious fetish for the rare...but that has little to do with being a driver's car. The Miata is still holding the Guinness record for 2 seater convertible sales, but it's arguably one of the top-5 driver's cars ever made. Exclusivity has nothing to do with driving pleasure.

Quote:
I love the E46 M3, because of the performance they able to obtain from that that I6. I also love the Integra Type-R. That is a piece of art as well.
I also love the E46 M3 and Integra Type-R. BMW sold over 43,000 E46 M3s in North America. Acura only sold 3800 Type-Rs. Where is the exclusivity logic here? By your previous statements, the M3 should be devalued.

Quote:
What's the point of having a 1M and a 3M? 135i is enough for that class.
The DC2 Type-R and EK9 Type-R were awfully similar, weren't they? I'd bet the demographics of 1M buyers shows an average age difference of 10+ years over the M3.

@stancejay

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: