Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
JinkkHead
1st Gear Newbie

DIY write up for front windshield replacement?

for the e30?
JinkkHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

This is one of those things... if you do it yourself be prepared as you may end up breaking the glass, if there are any cracks or chips on the window it could break during install. This is why many places will install used glass but will not guarantee it.

You need help with this. Two other people is best.

Suction cups for the glass, it is possible to do without but holding onto the glass can be tricky, and tricky is not a good in the same sentence as glass.

1) pull the old sealing strip out of the window, start with the metal jointing bits.
2) spray some 50%/50% dish-soap/water mix in the seal where the glass sits, lift the flap of the seal and spray it inside, this should allow the glass to slip rather than pop out.
3) use the suction cups to pull the glass while other helpers are massaging prying the glass at the seal. Don't use metal to pry. If you don't have cups, get someone on the inside to gently push the back side of the window outward, while you work the top of the glass, get the other helper to work the other side top of the glass. Once you work the top out move slowly around the rest to get it out.
4) Clean under the old seal. Rust can develop here.
5) put new or used seal back on, use some rtv or other silicone sealant over any repaired areas.
6) install window reverse of removal. be sure to lube up the whole seal where the window goes. It's best not to do this in the sun, if you can keep it moist it slips in better.......
7) Install new sealing strip, make sure you position it center from the start or you'll have to pull it off again. Some guys use a string, and lay it in the seal then proceed to pull the string as they work the sealing strip in. It's hard to explain, the ultimate goal is getting the sealing strip into the seal without damaging the sealing strip.
8) with the ends of the sealing strip lifted out of the seal, put each end of the sealing strip into the metal jointing bit. You then need to push the metal bit into the seal as you have done with the rest of the sealing strip.

That's how I've done it. I hope this helps.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

I would agree ^ just to eliminate the possibility of cracking the glass; however, I have done a few on my own and by no means am I a glass expert. you just have to be patient and know what you're doing. popping the old glass out is no biggy. Even if it cracks it won't matter since it is junk; why else would you be replacing it anyway?

From the inside gently push at the top corners working it loose - meaning? it begins to flex/move back and forth. once this happens apply even pressure on the glass from the inside along the top half until it comes free and then lift the glass out making sure you have protective gloves.

Putting it back in takes some lube and finesse to get it to sit properly before installing the lock strip. the lock strip is the tricky part. You can use a "proper" bmw tool or two small screw drivers and lots of silicon stray preferably in the shade as the hot sun will evaporate it quickly making installation a big PITA! I have never tried the string method so I can't comment on this. Again, needs some finesse and patience- shouldn't take you more the 2 hours at most.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
BigD
the misanthropist

There are various DIYs out there on E30 forums but when I did my glass, I read them all and in the end, I found they were all too long winded and yet not good enough. For one, prepare to get good used replacement or buy new lock strips, mine came out in chunks.

Also, all the DIYs I read made the lock strip re-insertion sound like brain surgery. I actually found getting the glass back in more annoying than the lock strip. Get some silicone spray and liberally soak the rubber with it before starting the strip. Get one end of it started where the metal joiner is. Then I figured out a technique that made it trivial to do. Going an inch at a time, insert one side of the lock strip under the rubber, on the side of the sheet metal. Push on the strip, so that it pushes the rubber away from the glass through the inserted edge. At the same time, use a small flat screwdriver (like the kind you fix glasses with) to wedge the rubber away from the strip on the other side. And it drops right in. I found that after a few minutes of doing this, I was able to go at a pretty good clip, where I didn't even stop sliding the screwdriver - insert, push, slide screwdriver over, keep going. I think it took me 10-15min per lock strip in the end, and it was my first time.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Ceeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
There are various DIYs out there on E30 forums but when I did my glass, I read them all and in the end, I found they were all too long winded and yet not good enough. For one, prepare to get good used replacement or buy new lock strips, mine came out in chunks.

Also, all the DIYs I read made the lock strip re-insertion sound like brain surgery. I actually found getting the glass back in more annoying than the lock strip. Get some silicone spray and liberally soak the rubber with it before starting the strip. Get one end of it started where the metal joiner is. Then I figured out a technique that made it trivial to do. Going an inch at a time, insert one side of the lock strip under the rubber, on the side of the sheet metal. Push on the strip, so that it pushes the rubber away from the glass through the inserted edge. At the same time, use a small flat screwdriver (like the kind you fix glasses with) to wedge the rubber away from the strip on the other side. And it drops right in. I found that after a few minutes of doing this, I was able to go at a pretty good clip, where I didn't even stop sliding the screwdriver - insert, push, slide screwdriver over, keep going. I think it took me 10-15min per lock strip in the end, and it was my first time.
I understood this only because that is EXACTLY how I did mine...but for someone who's never done it? Experience is the best teacher. Yours, mine, his-due to the nature of the job it will be long winded and perhaps technical in explaining. the best one can do is just start and figure things out as one goes along...LOL. GL.

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Old 07-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeker View Post
I understood this only because that is EXACTLY how I did mine...but for someone who's never done it? Experience is the best teacher. Yours, mine, his-due to the nature of the job it will be long winded and perhaps technical in explaining. the best one can do is just start and figure things out as one goes along...LOL. GL.
Yeah, good point, I'm sure I'd have no idea what the hell that says if I was doing it the first time. So yeah, read all the DIYs but you'll probably figure out your own way.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #7
Mister
2nd Gear Member

What ever you do work from one side of the glass to the other side of the glass,dont work from the centre out or from outside edges to centre. It will crack.Mister
Old 07-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
_JohnnyD_
2nd Gear Member

At my work I see a lot of windshield replacements and it can be a very messy project. The structural adhesive is very hard to remove when wet. If it sets on any paint or interior parts forget about removing it without sand paper or a blade. MASK AND TAPE EVERYTHING!!!

Henry Ford
_JohnnyD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #9
Ceeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JohnnyD_ View Post
At my work I see a lot of windshield replacements and it can be a very messy project. The structural adhesive is very hard to remove when wet. If it sets on any paint or interior parts forget about removing it without sand paper or a blade. MASK AND TAPE EVERYTHING!!!
yes, but these are e30's pretty straight forward and a blessing to do in comparison to the new car using Urethane.

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: