Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-06-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Question Ottawa drivers could soon be taking a backseat to cyclists!

concrete barriers, narrower lanes, No Turns on reds,
More cctv cameras, all for 'cyclist safety'

Quote:
Ottawa drivers could soon be taking a backseat to cyclists.

And with the arrival of bike boxes, it will be no right turns for motorists at dozens of red lights

A new report from the city’s transportation committee — the cycling safety improvement program report — which the committee wants council to approve would implement bike boxes, among other changes..

The bike boxes mean drivers will have to stop at traffic lights sooner to make way for cyclists.

The boxes give them more visibility and ideally, mean a safer place to turn left.

A box is slated for construction this year near Wellington St. and Bay St., said city spokeswoman Jocelyne Turner, adding it’s a joint initiative with the National Capital Commission.

Bike boxes are already in place in Toronto, Portland, Oregon, and a few parts of Europe.

“If we didn’t have people walking, cycling, and using the bus, the people using their cars would be stuck in gridlock a lot more than they are now,” said transportation committee chair Marianne Wilkinson.

Poor infrastructure is to blame for many problems in Ottawa, said Citizens for Safe Cycling vice president Alex deVries.

“They (cyclists) can obey the rules all they want, but the infrastructure makes it very dangerous,” he said.

He gives an example of Hunt Club Rd. between Riverside Dr. and the Airport Pkwy., where “the bike lane just kind of ends.”

“Cyclists are forced to merge into very fast moving traffic and neither drivers nor cyclists are expecting cyclists to be there, so that is dangerous for everybody” said deVries.

The city’s first segregated bike lanes on Laurier Ave. W. between Bronson Ave. and Elgin St. open Sunday.

The lanes separate bikes from traffic by using concrete curbs, planter boxes, plastic poles, and parked cars.

New rules for the two-year pilot project kicked in about one week ago — and right turns on red lights are banned.

The bright green rectangles on Laurier aren’t bike boxes, said deVries, explaining they’re “launch pads,” for cyclists making left turns from the segregated bike lanes.

Roughly $3 million out of the city’s $2.3 billion budget is being spent on cycling safety, said Wilkinson.

“It’s a small amount of money but it gives us a good return.”

deVries said the program will make roads safer for cyclists, “but also make it easier for drivers so that they know where to expect cyclists to be on the road.”

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/07/04/...avour-cyclists
video too ^
-

Quote:
Video cameras being made to monitor cyclists

By Kelly Roche ,Ottawa Sun
First posted: Monday, July 4, 2011 6:24:43 EDT PM

Video cameras are being developed at Carleton University, designed to monitor the before and after behaviour of cyclists in select spots across Ottawa.

The cameras are already being used on a pilot basis at Stewart St./Waller St./Mackenzie King Bridge, said city spokeswoman Jocelyne Turner.

“We do it to check things out,” said transportation committee chair Marianne Wilkinson, adding it helps solve cycling issues.

“You can actually see the problem happening, so then you can identify more easily what needs to get done.”

The cameras are good news to cycling advocates.

“You can set up all the infrastructure you want, but unless cyclists know how to use it ...” said Alex deVries, Citizens for Safe Cycling vice-president.

“Cyclists should follow the intended infrastructure.”

But the footage from cameras might also be used by police when investigating collisions.

“These are not being developed for that purpose,” said Wilkinson.

“Obviously, if there is a collision, the police use every technique they can.”

And privacy doesn’t seem to be an immediate concern.

“Already, in the city we have a lot of cameras that monitor behaviour, so I’m not sure that these would be any different,” said deVries.

“The city does that for all vehicles, and bicycles are just another vehicle.”

Wilkinson said the new equipment will operate like traffic cameras, and may be moved to various locations.

Based on the assessment of the pilot project, more could be added, said Turner.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/07/04/...nitor-cyclists
comments on both articles are worth reading

tell a friend, complain to city council. if enough people loudly complain, in theory, they should stop the program..
Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro View Post

He gives an example of Hunt Club Rd. between Riverside Dr. and the Airport Pkwy., where “the bike lane just kind of ends.”

This is the route I take to work. Sometimes I bike - and what they don't say is that there's a bike path on the shoulder. I never have to ride in the car lanes until I want to cross HC to turn left on River rd. Sometimes I just use the crosswalk because it's easier.

I'm all for biking and cyclists, but it's about mutual respect. There are some of them that are just complete tools.
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

from comments:

I wish that city council would actually listen but it seems they are intent on making Ottawa like Denmark and other leftie Eu capitals. LAurier ave bike lane cost 18 million to do up, for only 3000 users or less . Thats 60,000 per user. Talk about a waste of time would be cheaper to license cycles and and have them watched for traffic infractions using bylaw officers also on bikes. But that would make way too much sense

from another forum :

Quote:
I work downtown Ottawa, They installed these RIGHT on our street where we work,
pics taken just now from my office. I am a cyclist myself, I bike to work 4/5 times a week.

I find this absolutely retarded in every way possible. Causing a lot of traffic problems with truck delivering their stuff.

Firefighters use this road mainly when driving downtown and cars can't move to the side.
and as you can see, they are putting flower pots...!?!!
I can't wait for winter
and see how many cars/plows hit these

40% of the price of gas is taxes, crazy insurance costs,
drivers are fed on as revenue stream for mundane infractions.
cyclists pay no insurance are not reg'd or licenced & we are to lose road to them,
we are to have to take longer in our travels, actually adding to pollution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_600 View Post
This is the route I take to work. Sometimes I bike - and what they don't say is that there's a bike path on the shoulder. I never have to ride in the car lanes until I want to cross HC to turn left on River rd. Sometimes I just use the crosswalk because it's easier.

I'm all for biking and cyclists, but it's about mutual respect. There are some of them that are just complete tools.
i agree, i ride motorbikes. everytime you ride someone doesn't see you,
tries to kill you..people do dumb stuff when i'm in my car too.

In the end I think it'll end up being a new bureaucratic~regulatory cash~power grab - on cyclists

check this out: So the highway and roads traffic act governs bicyclists (some guy in toronto was just charged carless driving on his bike for hitting a pedestrian)
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144157
Old 07-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

I think it's an experiment that will fail. Those concrete barriers will get wrecked by plows in the winter, and traffic will get bogged down. And when people get caught in traffic, they are liable to do stupid stuff. It will also back up traffic every time someone wants to make a left turn off Laurier, and there is nowhere for the cars to get by.

There was a bus-only lane put in at the intersection of Strandherd and Woodroffe last year or so. Painted red, lots of instructional markings. It's gone now, and traffic is much, much smoother. I think that this will go the same way.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

While I don't disagree with bicycle lanes at all, I think they could have done a better job at implementation. However, I had to laugh... OP, don't you WANT Ottawa to be more like "Denmark and other leftie Eu capitals"?

j/k
Old 07-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Oops:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...bike-lane.html

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: