Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
BimmerboyPH
5th Gear Member

E30 troubles :(

Hey guys,

I just picked up another e30 this weekend, and 84 325e. I've had a few before in the past, I just can't seem to move on from em ahaha.

Anyways I have a few problems and I was wondering if anyones encountered these troubles before and knows what they might be.

First, both my temp and fuel gauge needles jump around. The temp dosent move smoothly along the dial, it just jumps randomly, and it'll go up and down, it never stays at a constant temp. And the fuel gauge just hops around between 30 to 40 liters. Thoughts?

Secondly I've got an issue with my lf high beam and indicator. Firstly the indicator, it works fine when the running lights on, but will not blink when I indicate. I replaced the bulb, but still nothing.... And the high beam, has a brand new bulb, but will not work. I was just wondering if anyone knows of anything common before I start tearing threw wires.

Thanks in advance.
92 325is- sold
97 328is- sold
00 Land Rover Disco- sold
07 328i- sold
84 325e- track car, in progress........ SOLD!
87 325is- FOR SALE
98 328is- Current Daily
BimmerboyPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Hey, well first off; I would check the two nuts on the back of the instr cluster to make sure they are not loose. this can happen over time which disrupts the contact and makes the needles give false readings. I suspect it's that. if not, then it "might" be the SI board batteries - which need replacing.

As for your high beam?

I would first check the contacts where the light plugs into the harness. Make sure the connectors aren't corroded. If they are clean them up with brake clean or contact cleaner; if you cant, use a small screw driver to scrap off any residue from the connectors. Then try it again.

Is one high beam working and one isn't? Or both aren't when you hit the hgh beam stalk?

Check the relay; while the highs are one tap the relay with a screw driver - might be stuck and then check the lights again.
Also check power to the relay to make sure it isn't bad. you may want to test it by throwing a spare one in or just swap the low with the high to test.

I'd start there.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
The Twin
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeker View Post
Hey, well first off; I would check the two nuts on the back of the instr cluster to make sure they are not loose. this can happen over time which disrupts the contact and makes the needles give false readings. I suspect it's that. if not, then it "might" be the SI board batteries - which need replacing.
This.

mine was doing the same thing...temp gauge flying everywhere...made me a little anxious when I was driving home from Toronto to Ottawa where I bought the car.

took out cluster, tightened and it's perfect now.
The Twin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: