Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 7 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-06-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
Kojak
Kojak

Help me identify this BMW

I bought this car from a dude who knows nothing of the origin of the Hamann lettering that appears to be factory installed. It also has a Hamann steering wheel logo. I've been told that it has been tuned by Hamann & the steering wheel logo represents that the suspension was also tuned by Hamann ...& the car IS from Germany where Hamann is. The vehicle is FAST & definitely has a sport suspension ...upon the first drive I felt something unlike the other ...newer 7 series I owned with the same V8. What I'm asking is ...did BMW have this done ...like their Alpina editions. The reason I ask ...is because it was shipped to the USA from the BMW factory & I cannot see how the dang thing would have visited the Hamann tuning shop. For those of you NOT familiar with Hamann ...as a BMW owner ...you should check them out.
I'm posting a photo or two & would appreciate any information y'all may have. Thanks & keep driving! ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09988 - Copy.JPG (161.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Jim Beemer.jpg (544.9 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Kojak; 06-06-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Kojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Hamann was never in the same league as Alpina (integrated into and sold from the BMW assembly line) or Hartge (post-assembly rebuilds)--they aren't, as far as I know, a full-fledged manufacturer like the other two, instea supplying engine tunes and some drivetrain and chassis mods, but mostly known for some pretty extreme body kits and the like. I wouldn't know whether these are genuine Hamann bits or just stuff bought off Ebay--badges are so easy to replicate. Being from Europe, though, and given the rather early 90s-tatstic appearance of the visual add-ons, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they are. A easy way to find out would be to cross-reference the parts to Hamann catalogues, or even to examine them for part numbers. I'd be curious to see what, if any, chip the DME has!
TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
Kojak
Kojak

TSI ...thanks ...I'll check the car over for any non-BMW numbers someday ...it is in storage ...I drive my 5 series regularly. I'm familiar with Hamanns body kits & such & would never exalt them to Alpina status ...lol! I owned a 2,000 740i & the Hamann (as I've come to call it) has a stiffer more planted suspension & the limiter has been by-passed ...whether this is due to a different chip or remapping the computer is unknown to me. But I've not found the top speed yet ...nor was I trying ...but it does not kick out at 155 as per the manual dictates. Can you tell me what shocks came stock ...I'll compare this to what is installed & check to see if they were installed in Germany ...if I can. Drive safe
Kojak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: