Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #16
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?
 
bmdbley'sBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: in your attic!
Posts: 4,674


Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post

I want to see some evidence that working on a farm or construction is more dangerous than being a cop.
ask & ye shall recieve:

Most dangerous jobs aren't what you may think
Being a cop can get you shot at, but if you are really brave, try working construction


Miners and police officers face many dangers. In 2009, the most recent year for which we have statistics, 101 miners and 97 police officers and security guards died on the job, making for a roughly similar fatality rate of around 13 deaths per 100,000 workers.

But neither cracks the top 10 on our list of America's Most Dangerous Jobs. Going by fatality rates, workers have more to worry about in such seemingly mundane professions as roofing, farming and sanitation.

Forbes.com slideshow: America’s most dangerous jobs

Across the country the rate of occupational fatalities is 3.3 deaths per 100,000 workers. Many deaths are unrelated to the work itself: Four in 10 workplace deaths in 2009 took place while driving. Another 18 percent involved assaults and homicide — something you could argue is a risk no matter what industry you work in.

Other leading causes included explosions (3 percent of deaths), falls (14 percent), exposure to harmful substances (9 percent) and being struck by objects (10 percent). Altogether 4,340 people died on the job in 2009.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42074304...you-may-think/

-
and again RIP to the cop & his fam
__________________
bmdbley'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #17
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing
 
BMW_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kiev
Posts: 8,364
Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
Do you have a link to this story?
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/19...in-fatal-crash

here

she will get a slap on the wrist too, maybe community service.

thats the way the canadian system works, cop or no cop. if there is no intent present, likely you won't serve any time, or if you do, very little

i predict the 15yo gets a driving ban and some community service
__________________
Vitaliy



Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #18
damameke
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,372
"Brian Turner, 19, was sentenced to two years less a day in the Ontario Correctional Institute which specializes in treating alcohol addiction."

He killed Sivanermaikkarasi Parameswaran, 41, and her husband Vijayaratnam, 45, who were delivering newspaper in the wee hours....(recent case in Brampton)

2 years, get treatment for alcohol addiction and banned for 10 years of driving....
what punishment is that... the 2 young kids of this couple are punished for life...

and BMW 7.. it is sad but you are right in your prediction.....
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #19
SiR
Vtec just kicked in
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: TO
Posts: 2,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
RIP and i hope the kid gets what he deserves, not by the law...but karma.
No doubt he would walk away with nothing more then a slap on the wrist.

I still dont see how this is more tragic then a truck driver loosing his life on the road, or construction worker in an accident building your house. No body should die at work, but people like solders/officers/firefighters DO have that possibility and should be fully aware before they take the job. If you look at the # of police officers who died on the job, you will see its safer then MOST jobs out there....(in the GTA it was about 8 in the last 30 years or so!)
100% bang on and what I was alluding to. But the media loves to glorify cops... so we are ok with having to pay tickets


RIP
no one should die that way



more people die a yr in working construction than being a cop in this country. We dont live in DC.


I dont see how someone getting in an accident should be thrown under a bus...
now this case was not just some random accident. kid panicked and took off. bad decision
__________________
-||Old Crayons||-

Last edited by SiR; 06-29-2011 at 03:38 PM.
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #20
MiroE36
6th Gear Member
 
MiroE36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,896
I never knew the full story, on the radio they said that he did a routine traffic stop and was hit by another vehicle during the stop.

I feel back for the family left behind... nobody deserves what happened.

A life is a life is a life... it doesn't matter what you do, or if you're worth more than the Taj Mahal. Every life in invaluable and as such, every death is a shame.
__________________
1992 325i / Briliant rot - SOLD @ 301,000km
1998 318is / Arktic silber - SOLD @ 207,000km
2007 335i / Jet Black - CURRENT @ 28,000 km

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #21
misschigga
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Durham Region
Posts: 159
Who raised a kid to be like this! Who raised a son that is out at 5am in the morning driving a stolen car? Where are the parents of this kid? What parent does not know where their 15 yr old is at 5am? The parents are just as guilty
misschigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #22
vVicked
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
I think it is to some extent. Sure they aren't all John McClain, saving the world every waking moment. But unlike everyone else out there, they are not bystanders. They take on a job that requires them to not look the other way. I think that deserves a measure of assumed respect.
Well said.

RIP.
vVicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #23
SiR
Vtec just kicked in
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: TO
Posts: 2,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by misschigga View Post
Who raised a kid to be like this! Who raised a son that is out at 5am in the morning driving a stolen car? Where are the parents of this kid? What parent does not know where their 15 yr old is at 5am? The parents are just as guilty
They are definitely have some explaining to do...but if you know anything about parenting and/or kids(and you may)...is that some kids are hard to raise.

I can think of many many examples of good households/parents with kids like that. its not always black and white.
__________________
-||Old Crayons||-
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #24
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by misschigga View Post
Who raised a kid to be like this! Who raised a son that is out at 5am in the morning driving a stolen car? Where are the parents of this kid? What parent does not know where their 15 yr old is at 5am? The parents are just as guilty
Hmm, well there are alot of kids out there that are out of control and they get kicked out at 16.... There is only so much a parent can do.
__________________
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #25
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?
 
bmdbley'sBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: in your attic!
Posts: 4,674



must be something in the air

june 17th.

^ notice how the squad car is on the side of the road, not behind the bike & the officer admits he grabbed him real good by the shoulder, from behind.
__________________
bmdbley'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #26
misschigga
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Durham Region
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
They are definitely have some explaining to do...but if you know anything about parenting and/or kids(and you may)...is that some kids are hard to raise.

I can think of many many examples of good households/parents with kids like that. its not always black and white.
I do not want to discuss how i disagree with you because that might result in pointless and endless conversation in the special RIP thread for the fallen officer
I just needed to express how deeply disappointed i am in how quickly parents walk away from their responsibility of raising their kids. We have 2 kids and we "choose" to raise them with the right values in life. Both of them do really well and are stable loving and caring kids. I'm shocked sometimes at other parents behavior at the school etc. I was a teenager once and did things that were probably not very smart but I always knew right from wrong! Most troubled teenager's problems can be rooted down to early childhood problems or parents simply giving up because the kid won't listen......Anyways it's sad that now there are 2 kids who's Dad did care for them and did feel the need to responsible for society, will never see their Dad again
misschigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #27
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by misschigga View Post
I do not want to discuss how i disagree with you because that might result in pointless and endless conversation in the special RIP thread for the fallen officer
I just needed to express how deeply disappointed i am in how quickly parents walk away from their responsibility of raising their kids. We have 2 kids and we "choose" to raise them with the right values in life. Both of them do really well and are stable loving and caring kids. I'm shocked sometimes at other parents behavior at the school etc. I was a teenager once and did things that were probably not very smart but I always knew right from wrong! Most troubled teenager's problems can be rooted down to early childhood problems or parents simply giving up because the kid won't listen......Anyways it's sad that now there are 2 kids who's Dad did care for them and did feel the need to responsible for society, will never see their Dad again
well you can use anectodes all you like. fact is there are kids that are truly the devils brew, despite having carrying, loving parentt that try to give the best to their kids as possible. Some people get it, some people dont. Thats why the study of psychology is so great.
__________________
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #28
misschigga
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Durham Region
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
well you can use anectodes all you like. fact is there are kids that are truly the devils brew, despite having carrying, loving parentt that try to give the best to their kids as possible. Some people get it, some people dont. Thats why the study of psychology is so great.
NO kid is born a devils brew, that's just an ignorant thing to say. And if you are going to refer to psychology you will also know that studies in cognitive psychology always research how people "adopt" certain behavior and thoughts and how they can "adopt" other thoughts and act upon certain behavior. My sister works in child psychiatry and a good friend of mine works as a counselor at a center for addiction and mental health. The sad fact is parents are responsible and saying that your kid is just a devil's brew is turning a blind eye or giving up your responsibility.
misschigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #29
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by misschigga View Post
NO kid is born a devils brew, that's just an ignorant thing to say. And if you are going to refer to psychology you will also know that studies in cognitive psychology always research how people "adopt" certain behavior and thoughts and how they can "adopt" other thoughts and act upon certain behavior. My sister works in child psychiatry and a good friend of mine works as a counselor at a center for addiction and mental health. The sad fact is parents are responsible and saying that your kid is just a devil's brew is turning a blind eye or giving up your responsibility.
Why is it that people do this in their arguments? Why is it that your opinion is somehow more heavily weighted because your sister and friend work in psychiatry and counseling respectively? Do you work, or have you ever studied psychology, or read any of the material? What is your OWN logical opinion of this, and not what you've hear from someone else then, or what someone else convinced you of?

Yes, some behaviors are adopted through parents, others are not. To claim that everything has to do with a child’s up-bringing, and their parents is not factually correct.

One of the reasons that psychology is studied so much, and why there are so many different branches of psychology because there is no 1 root cause, or 1 solution for these problems.

Furthermore, your argument is easily defeated by using 1 simple example:

Take twins. Both twins have the same up-bringing and brought up in rather identical situations and yet their behavior and how they perceive things is completely different.

There is allot more to how someone’s mind works in their teenage years as well as adult years than just their upbringing. Does their upbringing play a crucial part? Yes, definitely. But does that mean there aren't deviations to the norm? Absolutely. To claim that this 1 solution that you have fits every single problem is INCORRECT, and I am rather surprised that anyone with a University Degree in psychology would project such an inflexible idea to you. In fact, if anything, people in psychology are taught to go pretty much against the grain of 1 the solution fits all. That’s why they study it. Then again your sister and friend may not be psychology grads/etc, so I really have no idea, but, I guess they apply what they see to the whole world, which is incorrect: e.g. your friend works as a councilor and sees the majority of problem kids come from broken homes; therefore she deduces that most kids that grow up with bad parenting turn out bad.

This is akin to any stereotype that exists; e.g. Asians can’t drive because I saw 3 Asians in the last 3 weeks get into car accidents... or, black people steal allot; because I saw in the news the last 3 robberies were committed by black people.

This stereotyping is the exactly the same thing you’re doing, just in a different way. You can't apply 1 situation to the whole picture.
__________________

Last edited by sirex; 07-01-2011 at 08:28 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #30
misschigga
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Durham Region
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
Why is it that people do this in their arguments? Why is it that your opinion is somehow more heavily weighted because your sister, and friend, work in psychiatry and conseling respectively? Do you work, or have you ever studied psychology, or read any of the material? What is your OWN logical opinion of this, and not what you've hear from someone else then, or what someone else convinced you of?

Yes, some behaviours are adopted through parents, others are not. To claim that everything has to do with a childs up-bringing, and their parents is not factually correct.

One of the reasons that psychology is studied so much, and why there are so many different branches of psychology because there is no 1 root cause, or 1 solution for these problems.

Furthermore, your argument is easily defeated by using 1 simple example:

Take twins. Both twins have the same up-bringing and brought up in rather indentical situations and yet their behaviour and how they perceive things is completely different.

There is alot more to how someones mind works in their teenage years as well as adult years than just their upbringing. Does their upbringing play a crucial part? Yes, definately. But does that mean there aren't deviations to the norm? Absolutely. To claim that this 1 solution that you have fits every single problem is INCORRECT, and I am rather surpirsed that anyone with a University Degree in psychology would project such an unflexible idea to you. Infact, if anything, people in psychology are taught to go pretty much against the grain of 1 the solution fits all. Thats why they study it. Then again your sister and friend may not be psychology grads/etc, so I really have no idea, but, I guess they apply what they see to the whole world, whichi is incorrect: e.g. your friend works as a concilor and sees the majority of problem kids come from broken homes; therefore she deduces that most kids that grow up with bad parenting turn out bad.

This is akin to any stereotype that exists; e.g. asians cant drive because I saw 3 asians in the last 3 weeks get into car accidents... or, black people steal alot; because I saw in the news the last 3 roberies were commited by black people.

This stereotyping is the exactly the same thing youre doing, just in a different way. You can't apply 1 situation to the whole picture.
Who peed in your cup?

First I'm not "stereotyping" that is just something you made up.
I also volunteered many hours at the hospital where my sister works having seen enough children living on the street, being thrown out by their parents or being in abusive situations. You can also read the Covenant House website if you like they are always looking for volunteers and donations

But yes I am sticking to my point, when a stolen minivan driven by "kids" at 5am in the morning brutally kill a police officer I do think the parents are somehow responsible. Just many choose not to. Like many parents choose not to stand by their kids to help them through drugs or alcohol addiction. Some parents choose to kick their kids out of the house because they can't deal with it any longer or are afraid of what the outside world might think. Every year over 40.000 runaway from home reports are filed! All i know is that happy kids don't runaway from home.
misschigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fallen officer

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2015