Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
vic325ci
2nd Gear Member

polishing my head...lol

Hey guys, I was thinking about doing a port and polish on my m54 cylinder head to get some extra, and cheap hp out of my motor (about 400$) ...But is there anything else that goes along with a P&P? for example, if I do a P&P do I have to change anything like valves or gaskets or anything, or can I just keep everything stock?
vic325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
arsevader
4th Gear Member

Unless you are doing the work yourself I can't see how this is going to cost $400.

You'll need a new head gasket plus I would replace valve cover gasket and anything else you can get to by removing the head (ccv, etc).
'03 320i
'96 Volvo 850R
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

I'm not going to lie, I don't see this happening for one of two reasons:

1. Given the question you asked, you almost certainly won't be doing the work yourself
2. Once you see the price tag of removing a head, reinstalling with new gaskets, threadserts (or helicoils), and the cost of the port polish...you'll find headers are a much better bang for buck alternative.

I am curious though, where did you come up with the $400 price tag?
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
arsevader
4th Gear Member

^ for sure.

M54 doesn't really take all that kindly to having the head removed and reinstalled. It's not like an M20.

The head bolts can strip the block quite easily even if you follow the proper procedures to the letter.
'03 320i
'96 Volvo 850R
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
Banned

^ I wouldnt agree with this. I removed a few heads off of M54s and never had any problem. If you follow proper procedure, you shall never have any problems.

OP, unless you can take your head off and put it back on, it will never cost $400. Plus if you WERE to p&p the head you would need more then just p&p to make any power. Better flow headers, different tune.

On a 325 its not worth the time and effort.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
cisco911
6th Gear Member

Maybe he is doing it like this:

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80267
Old 05-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
vic325ci
2nd Gear Member

My uncle owns a machine shop and said he would do the port and polish for 400 bucks, I probably should have mentioned this before lol
Old 05-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
vic325ci
2nd Gear Member

Ok well I only brought up this question because a relative of mine did it to his Mustang GT and he said it did a world of difference...now obviously he has double the power and displacement of my engine which means even small mods makes a big difference so from what I've read so far, its not a great idea............which brings me to another question; I WAS going to buy some headers from AA BUT I then read the product description and it read something like this; " FOR OFF-ROAD AND RACING USE ONLY DUE TO THE REMOVAL OF THE CATALYTIC CONVERTERS SITUATED RIGHT UP AGAINST THE ENGINE BLOCK" or something along those lines...my first question is "why the @#$% would BMW throw their cats between the block and the headers"? my second question is "Am i just over-reading all this stuff about racing use and not passing emissions?" Bare with me guys, I'm not that bright when it comes to BMW systems and how they work lol
Old 05-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
Banned

Most aftermarket parts are "for offroad use only", they put that to cover their ass.

Your uncle will do the machining involved, ok. Whos gonna remove the head and reinstall it? If you do it yourself, go ahead, it;ll be a nice weekend project.

If however you cant do it yourself, call any BMW shop and ask them how much they'll change. Make sure you're sitting down when you're on the phone.

If you want my suggestion, buy a set of bimmerbrakes.com headers and call it a day. It;ll give you just about the same power as a p&p job by itself and it'll cost WAY less. AA headers are $1200 last time I checked, do not under any circumstances buy them. They are Identical to BimmerBrakes.com headers, which cost $250.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
vic325ci
2nd Gear Member

wow your a savior man, I was gonna buy them thinking its brand name so its gotta be good, but I was cringing at the price lol, I'll def. check them out...thabks for the help guys
Old 05-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #11
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

The catalytic converters you'll be removing are a part of the original 'header'. The reason they're put so close to the head is that way they'll warm up faster and function sooner. Be advised, if you replace the stock exhaust manifold with headers, you WILL get a check engine light. At that point you have a few options, live with the CEL (worst option imo). Get antifoulers to prevent the post cat sensors from reading properly (better idea). Or finally, have bungs welded onto the exhaust pipes after the main cat (best idea). Oh, and power aside, your car WILL be louder.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
don_miguel
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by new member View Post
Most aftermarket parts are "for offroad use only", they put that to cover their ass.

Your uncle will do the machining involved, ok. Whos gonna remove the head and reinstall it? If you do it yourself, go ahead, it;ll be a nice weekend project.

If however you cant do it yourself, call any BMW shop and ask them how much they'll change. Make sure you're sitting down when you're on the phone.

If you want my suggestion, buy a set of bimmerbrakes.com headers and call it a day. It;ll give you just about the same power as a p&p job by itself and it'll cost WAY less. AA headers are $1200 last time I checked, do not under any circumstances buy them. They are Identical to BimmerBrakes.com headers, which cost $250.
I got some cheaper brand headers from ebay and the welds were OK but when my friend installed them none of the flanges lined up correctly)....the flow may be the same but fitment suuuckkedd!
don_miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #13
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renboy View Post
The catalytic converters you'll be removing are a part of the original 'header'. The reason they're put so close to the head is that way they'll warm up faster and function sooner. Be advised, if you replace the stock exhaust manifold with headers, you WILL get a check engine light. At that point you have a few options, live with the CEL (worst option imo). Get antifoulers to prevent the post cat sensors from reading properly (better idea). Or finally, have bungs welded onto the exhaust pipes after the main cat (best idea). Oh, and power aside, your car WILL be louder.
There are other options to keep that CEL off, but you didn't mention those. It can be done in the ECU's firmware.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
vic325ci
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_miguel View Post
I got some cheaper brand headers from ebay and the welds were OK but when my friend installed them none of the flanges lined up correctly)....the flow may be the same but fitment suuuckkedd!
I bought some from ebay as well, they're made by M power or something along those lines, I got them for 60 bucks I think...I haven't put them on simply due the fact that I'm skeptical that they'll fit properly, I'm looking to get something er...more well known, so those bimmerbrake ones sound good
Old 06-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #15
vVicked
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco911 View Post
Not to jack this thread but LOL.
vVicked is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: