Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Lightbulb Dr Bill Deagle: smartmeter health risk.Ottawa woman about to be shut off for refusing

Quote:
Hydro Ottawa threatens to cut mom's power
Woman refuses to have smart meter installed in home

The registered letter that landed in Monica Bonnah’s hands on Tuesday was the last straw for the Alta Vista mother of two.

After two years of polite requests, Hydro Ottawa threatened to cut Bonnah’s power — she would be on the hook for any reconnection fees — if she didn’t schedule an appointment to have a smart meter installed in her home within two business days.

“Why am I being forced to get a smart meter when I don’t want one, and I’ve been telling them for two years? And don’t tell me you’re going to cut my electricity off. I’ve got two kids here and I pay my bills on time,” said Bonnah. “I hang up my clothes, I do my laundry on the weekends, my lights are off when they’re not in use. I don’t need a smart meter to tell me when to be smart.”

Lots of comments:
http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/09/15/...cut-moms-power

smart meters broadcast wifi, like a cell phone!

Quote:
Another Ontario School removes Wi-Fi over health concerns

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2.../18658511.html

An Ontario private school has removed its wireless Internet system due to potential health concerns associated to it.

Pretty River Academy, located north of Toronto in Collingwood, is a private kindergarten to Grade 12 school with just under 150 students. Officials have switched to a hard-wire Internet system.

In May, the World Health Orgnization's International Agency for Research on Cancer reclassified radio frequency emitted by wireless devices as possibly carcinogenic.

The school's principal Roberta Murray Hirst said the new system was fairly effortless to install and the school wanted to choose the safest Internet option.

Dr. Magda Davis, who studies environmental contaminants at Trent University, hopes other schools will move towards this model.

"This is a much better way of connecting kids to the Internet, it's not nearly as dangerous as wireless," Havas said.

There have been no short or long term studies done on the impact of Wi-Fi, though some researchers believe children may absorb more radiation than adults. ....continues

The True Health effects & radiation output of smart meters?

How Smart Meters emit deadly radiation bursts right through
homes and every cell of the bodies of residents THOUSANDS of times a day.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
sirex
King Sirex

Oh hello there. I guess you didn't get the memo that WHO also found a study that finds wifi not a health risk.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
davericher20
black and blue

whoa, you can have your smartmeter removed!????

Link!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
sirex
King Sirex

Oh so I see what the problem is.....

You're offered a smart meter, in which youre told if you use power during off hours its much cheaper.

If you use power during peak hours you pay more.

So you would rather have no smart meter and pay a high price all the time?????

Smart meter was a brilliant idea and its about time we move on with the times. There is no reason for people to be running their utilities during the day when they aren't home (see A/Cs). It just makes sense.

Also, smart meters help reduce load on the grid and spread it out evenly. During PEAK hours most business are in full swing. Therefore demand for power is at its highest.

Anyway, its common sense that this shit makes sense and works.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
davericher20
black and blue

I dunno, wouldn't it put more strain on the grid if EVERYONE was using it at the same time after 9pm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post
I dunno, wouldn't it put more strain on the grid if EVERYONE was using it at the same time after 9pm?
Word.

I've had a smart meter almost since they came out and we haven't really noticed any difference in our bills. We haven't changed our habits one bit, either.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post
no dude, because businesses are not running at full power.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
Oh hello there. I guess you didn't get the memo that WHO also found a study that finds wifi not a health risk.
watch this, or just a few minutes between 11min & 13min, covers health effects & power of the 500billion a year Cell phone industry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FLeCTaSG2-U
Old 09-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
sirex
King Sirex

no because I know the math behind what denatures protein structures and dna, and WiFi and cell phones dont emit that power.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
jaym3smg
M. Learn it.

Quote:
no because I know the math behind what denatures protein structures and dna, and WiFi and cell phones dont emit that power.
Can you elaborate on your 'math'? You seem to be taking wifi power as a constant as opposed to a variable. "Wifi is safe" is not an absolute rule. It's safe so long as the power is low.

Anyway, my issue with smart meters is that the power company's security isn't exactly trustworthy and hacking a smart meter is more than possible. It's not mature enough for the remote control functionality and even if it was, I don't like the idea of the power company or someone else deciding to shut off my power without rolling a truck out. If the remote control functionality wasn't there, I'd be all for smart meters. And eventually load control will go in which will allow them to shut off individual appliances during peak periods.

You said you don't see any reason for people to use utilities when they aren't home, but that doesn't mean there aren't reasons; you just don't have any. But AC and the half rack of business equipment I have HAS to run 24x7.

To summarize:

Reading my meter remotely and billing me based on time of day use? Great.
Remotely controlling my power and in the future appliances based on the arbitrary choice of a high school C student sitting at a control console? Do not want.

-J

Last edited by jaym3smg; 09-29-2011 at 01:17 PM.
jaym3smg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
sirex
King Sirex

Where do cell phones fall on this spectrum? According to phys*i**cist Bernard Leikind in a technical article in Skeptic magazine (Vol. 15, No. 4), known carcinogens such as x-rays, gamma rays and UV rays have energies greater than 480 kilojoules per mole (kJ/mole), which is enough to break chemical bonds. Green-light photons hold 240 kJ/mole of energy, which is enough to bend (but not break) the rhodopsin molecules in our retinas that trigger our photosensitive rod cells to fire. A cell phone generates radiation of less than 0.001 kJ/mole. That is 480,000 times weaker than UV rays and 240,000 times weaker than green light!

Even making the cell phone ra*di*a*tion more intense just means that there are more photons of that energy, not stronger photons. Cell phone photons cannot add up to become UV photons or have their effect any more than microwave or radio-wave photons can. In fact, if the bonds holding the key mole*cules of life together could be broken at the energy levels of cell phones, there would be no life at all because the various natural sources of energy from the environment would prevent such bonds from ever forming in the first place.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ou-hear-me-now
Old 09-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #12
jaym3smg
M. Learn it.

Ok let's consider power level as a larger variable though... that pull from SA is just about cell phone power levels.

If you dig a bit deeper in understanding RF signals and radiation, you'll find that exposure to a much more powerful transmitter is harmful. Cell towers are one, fortunately they direct their signal along a horizontal plane and by the time they reach ground level the radiation is pretty harmless. In fact, you get more from your cell phone than the tower at that point. I wouldn't want to be on the roof of a bldg that had one though.

Wifi is the same idea. The power when cranked up enough is harmful. The 1W antenna I use for testing occasionally sits right next to my laptop and I cannot sit near it for more than 3-4 hrs. There's some antenna's you can buy that you can't be near at all, no more than a few minutes. Those of course have power levels that exceed regulations.

In order to understand the math people need to understand RF intensity levels (i.e. power levels) and distance from the source. Cell phones back in the day emitted 4W of power! That was definitely a cause for concern, but nowadays cell phones MIGHT emit 100mW, and that's if your signal REALLY sucks.

To relate all of this back to the smart meter, the concern I think some people have, while not knowing it and just freaking out, is that the meter is emitting more than your average cell phone or wifi base station, which is crap. In fact, the smart meter emits something like 1/10th the power of a cell phone and considering it is on for about 1 minute a day, it's even safer. I seriously question the sources in that video, as it sounds like a giant conspiracy theory using improper measuring devices. They use a lot of shock imagery and statements that discredit the sources immensely. I love how everyone is all surprised, OMG smart meters emit wifi signals!!! No shit, that's not news lol.

So again, I believe you are correct when you state these signals are harmless as long as you are considering the power to be low. As far as we know now anyway. There is simply not enough data to measure long term effects of constant cellular and wifi radiation at current levels, which is probably why the WHO reversed their decision and said more research needs to be done. That being said, the fact that WHO is more a political organization than a scientific one, and that they have changed their minds several times over the past number of years, it's clear they don't know what they are talking about and have decided to play it safe. By reversing their decision and playing it safe though, they have set up a panic with all the stupid people like school boards and news agencies.

-J

Old 09-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #13
sirex
King Sirex

factor in wall + a few meters and the exposure level falls dramatically.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #14
jaym3smg
M. Learn it.

Absolutely, depending on power level and what plane you are on relative to the source. If it's really high power, walk a few more meters away I am just saying that 'wifi is safe' applies only under certain conditions, all of which are normal exposure levels.

Regardless, smart meters are definitely safer than anything people have in their pockets, but of course people freak out that there's a cellular device on the other side of their concrete wall that's been there for a few months, and call a news agency using the cellular device they've kept next to their reproductive organs for the past 5 years..

-J

Old 10-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Oh so I see what the problem is.....

You're offered a smart meter, in which youre told if you use power during off hours its much cheaper.

If you use power during peak hours you pay more.

So you would rather have no smart meter and pay a high price all the time?????

Smart meter was a brilliant idea and its about time we move on with the times. There is no reason for people to be running their utilities during the day when they aren't home (see A/Cs). It just makes sense.

Also, smart meters help reduce load on the grid and spread it out evenly. During PEAK hours most business are in full swing. Therefore demand for power is at its highest.

Anyway, its common sense that this shit makes sense and works.
If Sirex agrees with the smart meters there MUST be something wrong with it. Dude is hardly ever right

maybe we can find the problem by analysis Sirexs' theories ..

So without a smart meter they cant tell if your using during off hours .. hmm.. sounds good to me .. off hours doesnt always work for everyone, maybe its better for someone to just have a steady rate and not get penalized for using power during normal hours.

A/C when your not home .. I agree with you there unless you work second shift and your getting the shaft from the electric company just because your not in peak times or if your home with child (maternity leave)

I guess it is common sense that if people are at work and everything is in full swing that everyone else is not at home and we can reduce power by turning things off or down (heat/ac). Just sucks for those at home getting a smart meter.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: