Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Travel/Road trip advice

So a friend and I are planning to either go on a road trip down the east coast of the states, going through New York, Philly, Carolina, and all that stuff to reach Florida and stay in Florida and then head back whichever way we decide. Or just plan a trip to California, fly there and stay in a hotel and just hang out in the Cali area for a few weeks.

Now, I would prefer the road trip, but don't want to take my car since I would want to be the only one driving it because I don't trust anyone other than myself driving it and we can't take his car because it's a complete shitbox. So our options are either rent a car here (GTA area) and take it all the way down or rent one across the border and take it down. I'm no expert on renting cars and the rules they have for rentals, but does anyone know if this is a possibility or even smart moneywise? Would they charge us per km put on the car or we are going that long a distance? I know each rental place has different policies, but does anyone know if they would even let us cross the border with a Canadian rental car?

If the road trip is just going to cost way too much or just won't work with rental options we are gonna do the Cali plan.

So any input would be appreciated from anyone who may have done either or just knows more about the situation.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
sirex
King Sirex

our family rented a car like 10 years ago and drove down to myrtle beach. no problems with border/etc. back then, I think the cost was 500$ for a 7 day rental and there was no limit on the KMs as per our rental contract... obviously that may vary depending on who you go with, etc. In our case, it was cheaper to drive because a family 4 costs alot to fly.

If you factor in the cost of renting and the cost of gas and the cost of stay overs on your way down to Florida, youre looking at just over 1000$ for the trip down there and back.

You might be able to save some money by not staying in a hotel on your way down and just driving straight, but driving for 24 hours is alot harder on the occupants than one thinks before embarking on the journey.

On the flip side, I hear the water in California is cold and not exactly the best "Beach" vacation spot. However on the plus side air fare will probably be cheap.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
misschigga
2nd Gear Member

I've thought about trips like this and looked into taking the train for the longer distances and where ever you decide to stay for a bit rent a car locally. I always thought taking the train was neat, you get to see a lot kick back your feet or even nap if you like. For local trips you can just rent a cheap econobox! I dunno just a thought.
misschigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Train is an option, but we aren't planning on going straight there in any instance. The point is to see the east coast on our way to Florida and then hang in FLA for a few days once we get there. On the train, there isn't as much freedom to stop where we want and stay where we want on the way there.

It's good to know you had no problems when doing the same thing a few years ago sirex. I'm planning on probably calling around to various car rental places tomorrow to see prices. If we can get anything close to the $500 for a week like you got it would be great, lol. By the way, your signature pic is hillarious
Old 06-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Most Canadian car rentals have a limit on their 'unlimited' km option, most in the 3000 km range. I used to work for Discount part time back when i was still in school, it was 3000km then, not sure if it changed now. Also each company has different rules on going to the US. Some only allow you to go into close by states. I don't think renting in Canada is an option because of the distance unless you can find a truly unlimited rental that lets you all over the US.

Might be better to drive to the US then pickup a rental in Buffalo or something, but then you gotta worry about parking your car there for the trip.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Could you rent a Canadian car drive to buffalo and then pick up an american rental?
325isdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
Could you rent a Canadian car drive to buffalo and then pick up an american rental?
Then you are paying for two rentals while you park the other one and then you are still left to find a safe spot for it while you are gone.

Search around, maybe the rules have changed. Just remember to ask about going to the US and the KM limit, maybe you'll find one that doesn't over charge.

Last edited by T.Dot_E30; 06-23-2011 at 08:45 PM.
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
dbworld4k
Addict

Bring walkies. And funny people.

And yes, last few times I rented a car they allowed me to use it in the US.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
fly down, buy a car, drive it back.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
dbworld4k
Addict

Haha, propane has the right idea!

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
damameke
6th Gear Member

Use your car or your friend's car.. a $500 saving on rental is alot of saving
money that both of you can use for hotel and other usage...

Letting your friend drive for an hour or 2 on highway should be ok.. I can understand if you dont let him drive the streets of new york...

Take your time.. detour for scenic locales and the trip will be much enjoyable...
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
sirex
King Sirex

well if your car is a peice of shit, youre better of renting because if it breaks down on the road its going to cost you more than 500$.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
fly down, buy a car, drive it back.
Lol. If I wasn't going to be storing my car in September and for the forseeable future because I will be going to Europe I would do this, but what am I gonna do with two stored cars when I'm out of the country after the road trip? I'd love to do it, but just not practical right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
Use your car or your friend's car.. a $500 saving on rental is alot of saving
money that both of you can use for hotel and other usage...

Letting your friend drive for an hour or 2 on highway should be ok.. I can understand if you dont let him drive the streets of new york...

Take your time.. detour for scenic locales and the trip will be much enjoyable...
My friends car is a POS and WILL break down if we took his. I guess your right, but I have seen him drive and it's not pretty. He's a good friend, but a horrible driver. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
well if your car is a peice of shit, youre better of renting because if it breaks down on the road its going to cost you more than 500$.
My car wouldn't break down. I know that for a fact, I just don't want my friend to drive it and am just scared of my lowered car going through so many unknown roads on the way to Florida. lol
Old 06-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #14
sirex
King Sirex

the drive down to florida is a smooth drive.. the last time i did was many years ago and the roads were fine... You're on the interstate the entire way down. the only time youre getting off the interstate is to fill up with gas/food, etc, and if youre staying on or near the high way you wont have to deviate to far.

I mean, respect that you have a bimmmer and all, but its not that gereat. I dont think you should be worried about your car in terms of the paint getting damaged.

the only thing i would be woried about is my friend getting into an accident, etc... or if your car is standard, maybe hes not a very good standard driver etc, and burning out the clutch or whatever.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #15
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Then you are paying for two rentals while you park the other one and then you are still left to find a safe spot for it while you are gone.

Search around, maybe the rules have changed. Just remember to ask about going to the US and the KM limit, maybe you'll find one that doesn't over charge.
Aren't companies like Discount/Hertz... international? They must have a drop off program.
325isdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: