Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

Urinal in basement bathroom

Given this is a mostly male forum....I think the response will be positive but also wanted a view on home resale value and maintenance.

Tried searching for any details on this topic an not much info. on this.

Appears it's only installed in maybe 2% of homes and mostly high end homes with his and hers master bath. In our case looking to put it in basement bathroom.

Thoughts and feedback on resale value and maintenance? Aside from a backed up toilet, toilets are pretty simple to maintain. Can the same be said of urinals?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg basement bathroom.jpg (13.0 KB, 281 views)
Old 06-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
///eP
3rd Gear Member

Depending on what type of urinal you decide to install, they are very easy to maintain. But you will most likely need a 3/4" water feed to the urinal flush valve, although they may have ones with a 1/2" feed, make sure you check what you have coming into your meter...if its a 3/4 feed then your good, but if its a 1/2" feed, make sure you get a urinal flush valve that will accept 1/2" feed.
///eP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
sirex
King Sirex

Honestly, how many of you actually ENJOY using a urinal to pee in?

I think they are disgusting..

Unless there is a perfectly designed urinal out there and unless you pee in it at a perfect angle with a perfect stream, most urinals are bad at creating splash back, or w/e it is you call it.

As for increasing the value.... lol, its not going to add 100,000$ to your property value thats for sure.

Add a beday, at least thats some what useful. youll have a clean butthole.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

I would predict that it would make the resale value go DOWN since you now have a functional fiece for only 50% of the population (unless you count those weird girls that pee standing up :shifty)

Seems like a really pointless thing to put in, unless you're going for some sort of male centric statement.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Ughhh..Urinals make me want to throw up.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

It's like painting your house pink, it might add value for that specific buyer looking for a pink house, but it also makes it harder to sell to the general public.

personally I don't see why anyone would want a urinal at home!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Bimmer Heaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Oyster
yuk, cleaning up on overpee splash over is disgusting, even if it your pee.

you can not be 100% confident that your buddy know how to aim and control the valve pressure when they water the bowl
Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

Generally speaking i cant imagine it effecting resale value negatively...

in the right basement I can imagine it improves your home value....

but if you have a very small bathroom with no "company space" then a lot of people would take it as "useless" space and could negatively effect land value..

and OP be reassured that it wont get dirty... your company will not disrespect your house when its time to go to the washroom so they are not going to piss all over the floor and walls just because its a "urinal". your guests will enjoy the fact that theyre pissing in something nostalgic and they will enjoy the experience. something your aiming for... as theyre is no other reason to have a urinal in your home.

and to everyone else theyre only "disgusting" because people dont flush because they dont want to "touch the dirty handle" OP's home will be clean.

Go for it OP if i had a MAN CAVE in my basement with a 60' inch, large bar, poker table, pinball machine I would seriously contemplate getting a urinal for ease of use for my guests.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

A bathroom sink serves the same purpose as a urinal
Old 06-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
Coupedup
Reverse Gear Member

Threads like this piss me off...

why not blow the budget instead on one of those super fancy Dyson handdryers.... cool for both males and females.

Just say no to home urinals... or you could always go "trof style" (remember back in the day at the old maple leaf gardens)
Coupedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #11
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Was this pun intended?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdalinda View Post
... your company will not disrespect your house when its time to go to the washroom so they are not going to piss all over the floor and walls just because its a "urinal". your guests will enjoy the fact that theyre pissing in something nostalgic and they will enjoy the experience. something your aiming for...

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #12
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

lol mabee
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:05 AM   #13
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

i didn't expect such an emotional response and so many negative...so a few additional comments:

- there are 3 boys in the house to the other half that can't use it. but not really solid justification to have one. but it does end the debate in the one bathroom on seat up or down.
- yes rest of basement at this point is starting to turn into a man cave with a 100+inch projector screen and black ceiling tiles and a bar or as my other half calls it a coffee bar which is probably more fitting.
- my home office will be moved from the main floor to the basement so great for my own use and saves a bit of water from flushing - again not a very compelling case
- if it's not obvious the little nook is intended to hide it out of the way. if required could be removed as the other side of the wall is unfinished area. we are still debating perhaps the shower stall can go into the nook and the urinal never makes the final build.
- i wasn't expecting the value of the house to go up because of this. i just hope it didn't have any impact to the resale value and most would consider other items of more importance on home value. but i didn't want to find out later that people have experiences with this and it's a HUGE headache.
- tile all around the walls so clean up is a easy. we have a cleaning lady anyhow...wonder what she would think.
- i did think of a hand dryer...but i hate having water being sprayed onto the wall and floor. bad enough today with the hand towel. and those dyson dryers and so damn noisy.
- trough is just a dumb idea but i suppose the poster was proving a point that this is a dumb idea.
- using 6L to flush a #1 is a bit excessive. but the argument ends with the low flow toilet.
- if someone can't control themselves to aim into a urinal...no way they will make a bowl down at knee level. and what the he!! are they doing in my house to begin with. you must have this basic ability to be my friend. defriend on facebook immediately and calling out publicly.

yes there are far more important design considerations for finishing a basement.....this one just happens to be one that i'm debating myself and looking for thoughts. if i didn't care about impact to home resale value it would be installed - end of debate. clearly the stat I saw of 2% of homes have one seems to coincide with the responses so far.

again only saw them in mansions with his and her master baths and was always amazed to see them!

cost of putting one in i'm guessing is probably not much...and far more useful than a bidet. really cost of fixture and flusher which is 200-300. i suppose that could go to the stereo and media centre.

let the debate continue. maybe time for a poll.

Last edited by ChrisTO; 06-22-2011 at 12:08 AM.
ChrisTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
i prefer peeing outside. wwT

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #15
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

How is your buddy pissing all over a toilet any different than a urinal? both will probably be equally dirty.

that said I think its silly unless you have a toilet to go with it. If its just a choice between a toilet and a urinal. Go with the toilet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: