Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #16
misschigga
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
Rather send 2K on an OEM MTech II kit.
and not paint? I'm sure it will look nice on a rusty and with damaged paint car!
misschigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #17
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

^^^^

lol
Vrbovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #18
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

how bad is the rust? u might be able to find same body colour pannels and install them...and give it a professional level wet sanding / buff job ... will be ALOT less then 4.5 k...
Old 06-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #19
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

and if the rust of really bad , get body work done / paint the pannel.

and finish off with a buff job to blend in the fresh paint / old paint.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #20
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misschigga View Post
and not paint? I'm sure it will look nice on a rusty and with damaged paint car!
Where these cars rust out I am sure the kit will cover it. Then you paint later down the road. No point in painting a car then getting a body kit after.

E30's just look 100x better with Mtech II.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #21
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Jesus guys try to check your grammar I'm getting a headache trying to decipher some of this.

Go buy good paint, it doesn't need to be the best paint. Do as much of the prep as possible. You should be able to get a starving (reasonably skilled) person to spray it. I'd think that getting a decent job with good paint is possible for under 1.5k

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 06-23-2011 at 10:03 AM.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #22
misschigga
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
Where these cars rust out I am sure the kit will cover it. Then you paint later down the road. No point in painting a car then getting a body kit after.

E30's just look 100x better with Mtech II.
I agree e30's look real nice with the mtech II kit, but only when it's installed properly and the car is painted properly. Otherwise it will just look like something my dog produces every morning with a cocktail umbrella stuck into it!
misschigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #23
bart325is
IH8BART

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles101 View Post
how bad is the rust? u might be able to find same body colour pannels and install them...and give it a professional level wet sanding / buff job ... will be ALOT less then 4.5 k...
If I would have known I would have tried to find them in the same colour but I think the fenders would have been a tough find. I have some nice doors and fenders but they are red and blue.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #24
bart325is
IH8BART

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDice View Post
Go buy good paint, it doesn't need to be the best paint. Do as much of the prep as possible. You should be able to get a starving (reasonably skilled) person to spray it. I'd think that getting a decent job with good paint is possible for under 1.5k
I think I will paint the inside of the doors and fenders myself, mount them and do as much as I can and get someone to spray it. I have a couple of numbers of guys who do it on the side, I just haven't had time to see them. 1.5K would be nice.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #25
lost
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart325is View Post
I think I will paint the inside of the doors and fenders myself, mount them and do as much as I can and get someone to spray it. I have a couple of numbers of guys who do it on the side, I just haven't had time to see them. 1.5K would be nice.
Send me your number, I have a neighbour that does it (river canard area/amherstburg) on the side as a hobby, and a friend in Lasalle with a shop. What color are you looking at?

What's the rust like? Is it full cut and weld or just surface rust that hasn't eaten through that can be ground down and sealed?

Jeff
lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #26
bart325is
IH8BART

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost View Post
Send me your number, I have a neighbour that does it (river canard area/amherstburg) on the side as a hobby, and a friend in Lasalle with a shop. What color are you looking at?

What's the rust like? Is it full cut and weld or just surface rust that hasn't eaten through that can be ground down and sealed?

Jeff
You have been PM'd
Old 06-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #27
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW BMXer View Post
When I got my e30 repainted I went through a similar situation. 3400 - 5000 quotes that sent my head spinning as a dishwasher at the time.

I was eventually able to find a shop willing to do the job for 2000 and while it wasn't perfect it was very livable and it held up quite well (and is still doing so as far as I know).

Based on that experience I would never pay less than $1500 for a full respray. The problem with paint is that you get one chance to be satisfied and if you cheap out and it's not done to your expectations you are boned.

If there is any rust repair I would not cheap out because no matter the paint quality if the rust undermines it whats the point.
I have the car Dave is talking about. The paint is a little thin and chips easily but for $2000 it was worth it and it has held up decent and still looks okay. I bet half of that cost was just in the prep.

If you want to save a ton of cash strip all the trim down yourself and remove lights, door handles everything in their lot. Put everything back together as well. A lot of the cost is in the disassembly and reassembly of all the parts.

If you want to go really cheap just to look halfway decent for 3 years or so, find yourself a Maaco or similar place near the airport (carlingview) there used to be a place advertised off the highway for a $500 spray.

... oh ya... don't bother trying to find a cheap place to spray and try to change colours.
85 325e M5
07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
DR.ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #28
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

Decent paint is expensive! Canada has switched to waterborne paint since last summer, and it costs even more than the solvent paint (solvent paint is already phased out, no longer sold).

Here is a summarized list of what you will need:

>A gallon of Waterbone basecoat. Sikkens and PPG are ahead of other companies in the waterbone game. A gallon of Sikkens basecoat starts from at least $500. It costs even more for metallic paints and red shades.

>Reducer for basecoat

>Clearcoat + hardener- At least $200-$300 for a decent clear. If you want the best, you can easily spend at least $400.

>Epoxy primer kit- from $200 (ok brand)

>2k urethane primer kit- from $150 (ok brand)

>Various surface cleaners, wax and grease remover, waterbased cleaner, etc...

Not to mention different guns for primers and topcoats, sandpaper, tack clothes, masking tapes and papers, blower guns for water paint, ...

It all adds up quick. Bodywork is labor intensive, lots of sanding, masking, many steps involved, would take days...
zarbat007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #29
fitter527
hates chrome

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1
i'm thinkin of tryin this.
fitter527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #30
Brent
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitter527 View Post
First off, come check my car out at a meet...I painted it all with Tremclad rattle cans and am in the process of wet sanding and buffing...

As for having it done properly, my advice would be to get it done right and pay the money, or, do as much of it yourself, ie-sand and tape it, then have it towed and sprayed as cheaply as possible. No point paying over $1K for a crappy job, you're better off paying $500 for a crappy job...

The guys that are charging $4K will think that any work done by anyone else but them will look like garbage and try to scare you into thinking you will ruin your car if you go anywhere else, but the fact is, maybe 5-10% of the entire population will actually notice a less expensive paint job, and even then, they'll probably have to be within 10 feet of your car, looking for flaws.

Someone else asked earlier if you are going to put your car in shows? I think that's the question you need to answer. If so, get it done right and get the perfect job and pay a bit more. If not, do it cheaper and spend the money on other parts of the car to make it more fun to drive, because most everyone else will see a shiny car that's all the same colour.

Finally, can I also say that most of the paint and body people I spoke with were extremely negative, arrogant and rude? These guys make engineers seem humble and and approachable. When you try to get a deal, they treat you as though you are an absolute piece of crap, and lord help you if you do anything yourself, they won't even touch your car...I almost had to punch out about 3 of them based on attitude alone. Then again, I'd proabably have an attitude if I was charging people $4K for something that they could do themselves for $100 and have it at least look functional. It's painting a car, not repainting the sistine chapel, for God's sake...Everything they told me that would go wrong if I did it myself didn't happen...thanks for trying to take advantage of someone new by using scare tactics and BS, A$$holes

From Eyesore to Heat Score
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: