Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Danboy
Co-Administrator

BMW E92 M3 DIY Coilover Suspension Install

Me and Bruce just finished installing the KW v3 coilovers on my 2011 E92 M3 so here’s a DIY for anyone wanting to tackle the project themselves. Enjoy!

Tools Needed: May differ as i put only the basics.

Sockets/flat wrenches
-21mm
-10mm
-13mm
-8mm
-6mm
-Flathead screwdriver
-spring compressor
-jack and jack stands
-wheel stops

FRONT:

1. Jack up vehicle. The E92 M has a neat jack point in the centre of the engine underneath the car which made it very convenient to do both sides at once. Make sure to properly secure the car with jack stands and place rear wheel stops so your car doesn’t roll back on you before attempting anything further.

2. Remove plastic strut tower caps to expose the 3 nuts holding the upper strut assembly.

3. Remove the lines and wires from bracket so you don’t rip or break any of them accidently and it gives you more free room. Place them on the side

4. Unscrew the nut and remove bolt that tightens the strut sleeve to the strut.

5. Unscrew stabilizer link from strut

6. Remove 3 strut tower bolts holding the top hat of the struts to the body of the car.

7. Now lower the whole assembly down and out very carefully pulling out the oem strut out of it’s sleeve. You may need to pry open the aluminum gap on the sleeve to loosen it up if it doesn’t come out easily. Be cautious of your fenders and your callipers when removing the struts.

Pic of the oem strut and spring assembly off the car.

8. Replace the oem hat and washers onto your new coilovers. Here's a pic of the coilover assembly ready for mounting. You will need a spring compressor to remove your oem coils. We rented one at Canadian tire.

Danboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Danboy
Co-Administrator

9. The KW ver3 coilovers came with a separate gold colored sleeve which you place in the existing sleeve on the car before inserting your new coilovers. Make sure that your new strut is inserted fully into the sleeve before tightening.

10. Replace all the screws and nuts, and put back the wires and lines you previously removed onto the bracket.

Here’s a pic of the fronts installed.

REAR:

1. You can jack up your car each side at a time or once using the subframe before your differential. Whatever is easier and safer for you. We did one side at a time.

2. Remove inner trunk liner to expose strut tower, and remove upper strut nut.

3. Remove bottom strut nut and screw, and remove your oem strut off the car. You will replace this with your new strut.

4. Remove the outer lower control arm bolt and lower the control arm to remove your oem rear spring. On the left rear side there is a light-leveling system secured to your lower control arm held by a 10mm bolt. We removed this and placed it on the side to prevent it from braking as a precaution. Remember to replace this once your new spring is in place.

5. Remove oem top spring seat. We used a flathead screwdriver to pry it off, and replace it with the KW spring-height adjustment piece. You will only reuse your oem bottom rubber seating for your spring.

Pic of the rear installed.

Lastly, make sure that all your nuts and bolts are tightened back up and you're set!
Old 06-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Banned

Thanks for sharing ,very good DIY.

But I'm very surprised at the fact that you guys use dollar store tools and a jack while driving 100k car.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Must be super easy working on a brand new car, bolts must come off super easy.

To new_member: what is wrong with Mastercraft? I am sure they are the same as Motormaster and mine have taken years of beating and still do the job. Good price good tools.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
vVicked
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new member View Post
But I'm very surprised at the fact that you guys use dollar store tools and a jack while driving 100k car.
Yeah like really why not buy a torque wrench made of diamond and a ratchet set from pure gold to do a suspension swap. Don't settle for tools that will do the job without looking good.

Great writeup very detailed.

Last edited by vVicked; 06-19-2011 at 09:11 PM.
vVicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

Great write up, and gorgeous car!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
sproule905
6th Gear Member

one suggestion, would be to put a block of wood under each front disc so the ball joints don't just hand there.

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Need pics of the car sitting low now

Quote:
Old 06-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
Danboy
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproule905 View Post
one suggestion, would be to put a block of wood under each front disc so the ball joints don't just hand there.
Thanks guys. You're absolutely right! We actually did put the rotors up on another jack stand to free up the tension on the ball joints and the brake lines while we were setting up the KW coils. We thought this pic was good to show how much of an angle was needed to remove the strut/spring assembly. Good suggestion to add

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Need pics of the car sitting low now

As soon as i get some pics, i'll post em up!
Old 06-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #10
Danboy
Co-Administrator

Here is a quick picture taken on my iphone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (103.5 KB, 978 views)
Old 06-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vVicked View Post
Yeah like really why not buy a torque wrench made of diamond and a ratchet set from pure gold to do a suspension swap. Don't settle for tools that will do the job without looking good.

Great writeup very detailed.
Leave the diamonds for your girlfriend.

To me, that floorjack doesnt look any safe at all and thats all my concerns. If you wish to work on your car yourself, the least you can do is to spend a few dollars and be safe while working on it.

Also , dont forget an alignment. Its a must.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #12
Steve30
Techno Viking

Looks good. How do you like the V3's?

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project
Steve30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #13
Bliss
Administrator

Quote:
Leave the diamonds for your girlfriend.

To me, that floorjack doesnt look any safe at all and thats all my concerns. If you wish to work on your car yourself, the least you can do is to spend a few dollars and be safe while working on it.

Also , dont forget an alignment. Its a must.
Lol, don't worry where we spend the "few dollars" I do however suggest you worry about where you spend yours. It was one of my 4 jacks that i own, 2 being snap ons, and the one we decided to use being the most convenient and smallest of the 4 and works perfect! Take it for what it is and stop your whining about some jack.

Car looks and feels great! Much nicer ride than my old H&R coils. Whoever is looking for a nice setup, i suggest you take a look at some KW's!...and brand new bolts ftw! lol

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #14
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Looks nice and clean to work on!

But letting the entire spindle hang from a brake line?

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #15
Bliss
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Looks nice and clean to work on!

But letting the entire spindle hang from a brake line?

Holy criticizm. The spindle wasnt hanging. It was resting on the caliper for the photo then was placed on a jackstand. I can see how you might think that looking at the pic though. The rotors are so huge that the caliper hits the floor way before letting anything hang.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: