Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 7 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
Sanaks
1st Gear Newbie

Help with suspension!!! Please!!! 2001 BMW 740i

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. Been searching on here for a while but never posted anything. Its great to know there are other passionate E38 owners in GTA. (740ill I have read your posts a lot and they are great).

I have read the two threads about the suspension upgrades, with the Bilstien shocks and H&R or Eibach spring setup. I am in desperate need of a suspension upgrade hence the reason for this new post. I couldn't find the Bilstien shocks in the sites that were linked in the previous posts. I believe I need struts in the front. My car has EDC and SLS which I will be eliminating during the upgrade.

Also i have been hearing a lot about the NEX coilovers on BF. Does anyone have any suggestion or experience with them? Cost on ebay is around $850 plus $125 shipping to Canada. Not sure though if that is what i should throw on.

Also last question is to the people that have lowered the car, what did you guys do about the alignment. Who did you go to? I am going to change all the shocks and springs but plan on only lowering in the front. I think the rear sits perfect on my 18s so don't plan on touching them. I would still like to have some tire life.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated. Too nervous about putting up some pics because the car looks like crap right now. Will post pics in the future.
Sanaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
dcramer
5th Gear Member

you can get bilstien shocks and coil overs from bilsteincanada.com

850 for coilovers sounds pretty low to me.

Dave
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #3
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

What model 740 do you have? Is it the sport or regular setup?

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:06 AM   #4
Sanaks
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
you can get bilstien shocks and coil overs from bilsteincanada.com

850 for coilovers sounds pretty low to me.

Dave
Thanks for the link. From what i understand, there are two choices when it comes to springs. Eibach and H&R. Which ones do you recommend or have experience with? I don't plan on lowering the rear and read H&R rear is only .6 drop. The front is where i would like to go lower a bit to cover the wheel wells.

I have a 740i non sport model.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanaks View Post
Thanks for the link. From what i understand, there are two choices when it comes to springs. Eibach and H&R. Which ones do you recommend or have experience with? I don't plan on lowering the rear and read H&R rear is only .6 drop. The front is where i would like to go lower a bit to cover the wheel wells.

I have a 740i non sport model.
I don't have any recommendations . Are you getting coilovers ? If so just use their springs. bilstiencanada sells H&R so you can get everything from them if you are going with normal struts.

Also you can get suplex springs in canada for OEM height if you want. But I gather you want to lower the car at the front. Which by the way is going to put the geometry out.

Dave
Old 12-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Sanaks
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
I don't have any recommendations . Are you getting coilovers ? If so just use their springs. bilstiencanada sells H&R so you can get everything from them if you are going with normal struts.

Also you can get suplex springs in canada for OEM height if you want. But I gather you want to lower the car at the front. Which by the way is going to put the geometry out.

Dave
I don't think i am going for the coilovers. I am probably going for Bilstein shocks and struts. The H&R springs are a 1.3" drop in the front and 0.6" drop in the rear, which is what I am ok with. I don't think i can just buy 2 H&R springs for the front and leave the rear stock. Will this setup still throw the geometry off?
Old 12-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
dcramer
5th Gear Member

I'd prefer to see the same drop front and rear, but probably OK.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
Sanaks
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
I'd prefer to see the same drop front and rear, but probably OK.
Who do you go to for alignment. Someone that knows his numbers for lowered cars. I heard woodbridge alignment's service has crashed so not considering them.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
dcramer
5th Gear Member

I'm up in Orangeville so I use Hockley Autosport. Good guys work mostly on porsche, and bmw. If you take it there tell Ian I sent you.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
Sanaks
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
I'm up in Orangeville so I use Hockley Autosport. Good guys work mostly on porsche, and bmw. If you take it there tell Ian I sent you.
Yeah i'm not too far away from orangeville. I appreciate your help. Finally got my mind straight about what to do. For sure i wasn't going to spend $4000 on trying to keep the sls and edc. lol
Old 12-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
Sanaks
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Did you need any camber/caster kits when lowering the e38? Also any good places to get Eibach or Dinan springs? Thanks.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:50 AM   #12
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Not sure if that question was directed at me or not but I don't own an E38. I own an M3 and a 328. However your question is a good one; one which most people ask after they buy the springs and install them and find out the can't adjust the camber.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:16 AM   #13
Sanaks
1st Gear Newbie

Yeah...i just want to be prepared for any obstacles. Maybe someone else can share their experience.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:31 AM   #14
740-iLL
Founder of GTA7's

Hey Sanaks,

For the bilsteins, go to this group buy on BF.c he has the cheapest prices online for bilsteins. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=466763

For lowering springs, I would recommend the H&R Stage II's which will give you 1.9" in the front and 1.3" in the rear as they are matched well with the bilsteins. I would not recommend doing the front springs only as it would throw off the handling characteristics of the ride.

From the members on BF.c that have installed the NEX coilovers, most are happy with them, but they do complain that they are quite stiff.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I see you are in Brampton and would not mind meeting up!
Old 12-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #15
Sanaks
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740-iLL View Post
Hey Sanaks,

For the bilsteins, go to this group buy on BF.c he has the cheapest prices online for bilsteins. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=466763

For lowering springs, I would recommend the H&R Stage II's which will give you 1.9" in the front and 1.3" in the rear as they are matched well with the bilsteins. I would not recommend doing the front springs only as it would throw off the handling characteristics of the ride.

From the members on BF.c that have installed the NEX coilovers, most are happy with them, but they do complain that they are quite stiff.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I see you are in Brampton and would not mind meeting up!
Just another couple of questions. Did you need any other parts to do the install or alignment (i.e. Caster/camber kits or mounts)? And how is your car with that drop in our snow. Do you have any issues in ride clearance? And yeah, would like to meet up to look at your ride, from the pics it looks nice. Let me know, thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: