Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #31
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair
 
Bullet Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guelph
Posts: 5,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renboy View Post
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I fully support people maintaining their cars, and even spending obsurd amounts, but only when needed. I see no reason why someone would spend $2500 on a suspension for a car worth $9k, when $600 will fit their needs perfectly. The rest is a waste and could be used on other things.

By mentioning the cost of the car in your argument you are contradicting yourself. It's like you're trying to say that spending a lot of money on suspension is fine, but only if your car is expensive, if you have a cheap car you should only use cheap suspension. So those guys out there with their $2500 E30 track/auto-x cars running AST 4100 coilovers worth $2500 must be idiots? What's a beat up, rusting E30 worth these days? $1500? Heck I must be retarded because I've spent more than that upgrading the suspension on my car.

I agree with you when you say buy something that fits your needs, but be realistic about it. If you've only got $400 to spend and you want to go low that doesn't mean you should buy the cheapest coilovers you can find because that’s all you can afford. Do some research, figure out what’s tried, tested, reliable, and will fit your budget then start saving your pennies.
__________________
Bullet Ride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #32
Renboy
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Guelph, Ont.
Posts: 321
Normally I would agree with you, and had thought of leaving the price out as I was typing. But, I included it strictly because there is a very strong correlation between the price of a car and the cost of aftermarket upgraded parts for it. A turbo kit for a civic is $5g's, for an e9x m3, $20g's. Not to mention, in every post in this thread other than the last one I pointed out that I was talking only about a daily driver that wouldn't see track time. A track car will always need something different. Not to mention, I did recommend he not get coils and even offered up an alternate suggestion that's in a similar price range, but has a solid reputation and would probably fit his needs better.

What I was trying to point out was that buying track quality/oriented parts are wasted when installed on a daily street car. It makes as much sense as installing solid mounts in the same car. They're expensive, and great at the track, so they therefore must be the only option.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #33
Renboy
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Guelph, Ont.
Posts: 321
I forgot, I was also trying to point out that just because something isn't expensive doesn't automatically mean it's crap. There's a member selling ssk's on this forum for about $75 and everyone is pleased with them, yet the uuc ssk is $400....how can that be?
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #34
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renboy View Post
There's a member selling ssk's on this forum for about $75 and everyone is pleased with them, yet the uuc ssk is $400....how can that be?
There is a measurable difference in quality and performance between those two products. Not to make up the full difference, but still.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #35
Renboy
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Guelph, Ont.
Posts: 321
At more than 5x the price I would hope so. I was just proving you don't have to spend a fortune and be happy with a product.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #36
craz azn
6th Gear Member
 
craz azn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Port Perry
Posts: 7,486
Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renboy View Post
At more than 5x the price I would hope so. I was just proving you don't have to spend a fortune and be happy with a product.
I don't agree... Sure people may be happy with the product, but that still doesn't mean its right or it is doing its job properly. It is pure ignorance that leads these people along. SSK or suspension... its all the same.
__________________

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #37
Renboy
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Guelph, Ont.
Posts: 321
Please tell me you're joking. The BMW performance shifter is only about $100+/-. If anyone should know how to do the job properly, it would be BMW. So, you think UUC's shifter is worth 4x as much as the BMW shifter? And is doing the job 4x better?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's a shifter....a glorified rod with a pivot ball. If anyone is ignorant, it's people like you, that soak up the UUC marketing where your shifter has to have balls of steel (which incidentally even $30 ebay shifters have them made of brass). The pivot ball, doesn't wear out. They just try to differentiate themselves somehow so they can come close to justifying their idiotic markup.

As for the suspension, so you're saying that unless a car has a 4-way adjustable coilover, with camber plates, remote resevoires and edc then they're not doing the job properly? Because that's a $10,000 suspension.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #38
Adrian_Lindn
2nd Gear Member
 
Adrian_Lindn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Whitby
Posts: 298
Installed over the weekend boys! handling is awesome. Me and my buddy installed on sat/sun took a while....But its done and im happy! had to adjust many times to get the height right but it looks perfect now....I will post pics soon! juust wanna take ones with a camera not a black berry.
Adrian_Lindn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #39
doogee
Stance is Gay.
 
doogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ancaster
Posts: 3,441
Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renboy View Post
Please tell me you're joking. The BMW performance shifter is only about $100+/-. If anyone should know how to do the job properly, it would be BMW. So, you think UUC's shifter is worth 4x as much as the BMW shifter? And is doing the job 4x better?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's a shifter....a glorified rod with a pivot ball. If anyone is ignorant, it's people like you, that soak up the UUC marketing where your shifter has to have balls of steel (which incidentally even $30 ebay shifters have them made of brass). The pivot ball, doesn't wear out. They just try to differentiate themselves somehow so they can come close to justifying their idiotic markup.
You sir are ignorant. I suggest you do some reading on the UUC EVO3 to understand why it's expensive. It's completely different from a BMW shifter in every way. It doesn't mount in the stock carrier spot, is height adjustable, solid (no rubber) and has bearings instead of bushings for the selector rod. Is it worth the extra money? I think so.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Lindn View Post
Installed over the weekend boys! handling is awesome.
Hahaha, no one seems to know what handling even means
__________________


Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #40
Adrian_Lindn
2nd Gear Member
 
Adrian_Lindn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Whitby
Posts: 298
Lol Im not a track driver! read uup....I can take corners better than i used to...Is that better mr professional race car driver?
Adrian_Lindn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #41
Adrian_Lindn
2nd Gear Member
 
Adrian_Lindn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Whitby
Posts: 298
So I have these coil overs installed. Everything was going great…Then once I took them on a long trip to Bancroft and drove for a week I realized the springs have now been worked in and settled. Once this happened, the front is pretty low and for some reason on every single turn im hearing a noise as if the spring is making the noise. I know it’s not the sway bar link since I did buy a shorter one from and Impala. Any ideas on what could be happening? I’m going to jack it up tomorrow and take a look but has anyone every experienced this problem? Not a rubbing sound but a sound coming from the coil its weird?
Adrian_Lindn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #42
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 9,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Lindn View Post
Everything was going great…
lol, you eventually hear this from all raceland/rokkor owners. Some just take longer to admit it.

Learn your lesson yet?
__________________
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #43
Adrian_Lindn
2nd Gear Member
 
Adrian_Lindn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Whitby
Posts: 298
Lol My buddy had them on his and it wasn’t the case on every turn….it has to be something?
Adrian_Lindn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #44
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair
 
Bullet Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guelph
Posts: 5,733
It could be a shitty upper mount that's binding and it causes the spring to rotate relative to the strut. It will bind a bit then pop.
__________________
Bullet Ride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #45
Adrian_Lindn
2nd Gear Member
 
Adrian_Lindn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Whitby
Posts: 298
Can this cause damage? is there anything i can do?
Adrian_Lindn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.