Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #16
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
You'll spend the $400 now then in a year to a few months you'll spend even more fixing issues those coil overs have caused. Save your money and buy something like bilstien or ground control for a little more. They use brand name stuff. I've had bilstien pss10 coil overs on my car for 2 years now with now issues. Had ground control on my old e30 with now problems. And I didn't need any extra parts to make them work. Do it right and don't be cheap.
For what has been said above my post, my pss10s ride better than my stock springs and shocks. I've heard of a few people complaining about ride quality from these cheapo brand coil overs. May not be right away it give it time and you'll shortly have issues. Yes they go low, but is it worth sacrificing everyday comfort and ease of mind.

In the end, you bought a ****ing bimmer. Don't be a cheap ass.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.

Last edited by King Luis; 06-18-2011 at 11:27 AM.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis View Post
I've had bilstien pss10 coil overs on my car for 2 years now with now issues.
I'm very surprised that you like your pss10s. They do ride great , sure but the design on the springs makes me think that a5 year old designed them. Have you seen that rear spring ? Your 10s so as my 9s should be considered as for show only. These coils arent worth a fraction of what they charge and I really wish I did a bit more research before I bought mine. Now I'm stuck with these shitty coils.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #18
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

coils are cheap ... it's the shocks that matter.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #19
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis View Post
You'll spend the $400 now then in a year to a few months you'll spend even more fixing issues those coil overs have caused. Save your money and buy something like bilstien or ground control for a little more. They use brand name stuff. I've had bilstien pss10 coil overs on my car for 2 years now with now issues. Had ground control on my old e30 with now problems. And I didn't need any extra parts to make them work. Do it right and don't be cheap.
For what has been said above my post, my pss10s ride better than my stock springs and shocks. I've heard of a few people complaining about ride quality from these cheapo brand coil overs. May not be right away it give it time and you'll shortly have issues. Yes they go low, but is it worth sacrificing everyday comfort and ease of mind.

In the end, you bought a ****ing bimmer. Don't be a cheap ass.
His bimmer, much like most other e46's, is probably worth less than half of a new, base model corolla. So he's spending a proportionate amount to what the car's worth. Especially considering he said that the car is a daily and won't see track time. Anyone that buys $2000+ coils for a car that's worth $10k and is a daily is a complete idiot. Much like the thought that accruing debt to finance a suspension is the opposite of cheap. It is, more accurately, stupid.

Finally, the correlation between price and quality isn't as clear as most think. Ask those that bought moton's, see how much they like the clanking.

Before anyone assumes I would buy, or have bought the coils, I haven't. Having owned coils in the past, I know that height adjustability on a daily driven car is by definition, useless. The car is set to a desired height once, and then left there. It isn't raised in the winter, and then dropped again in the summer. And although these do have a 3 year warranty, Koni STRT shocks have a lifetime warranty, and Eibach springs have essentially a lifetime warranty as well. Given the price of that combination is only slightly higher than Rokkor's, it is, in my unexperienced opinion a better buy. I say unexperienced because admittedly I've never driven on those coils, or know anyone that has driven on the coils whose opinion I would trust. Many times however I have used Eibach and Koni and have been completely satisfied.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #20
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
so you're saying that if your car's value is low, you should spend much money on it?
i'm guessing you get oil changes at jiffy lube then right? it's his car and he can do what he wants, he wanted people's opinion on those coilover's and opinions were provided.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #21
Adrian_Lindn
2nd Gear Member

Thank you for everyones opinions. But i agree with Renboy, since my car isnt worth 20gs and im not racing why do i need 2000$ coilovers? Just doesnt make sense?
Adrian_Lindn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #22
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Lindn View Post
Thank you for everyones opinions. But i agree with Renboy, since my car isnt worth 20gs and im not racing why do i need 2000$ coilovers? Just doesnt make sense?
I guess youll have to learn the hard way to be perfectly honest. I have a friend who had racelands on his car for 15,000km. They blew, and then his strut towers bent because of it. The shock will just bottom out all the time because the springs are so soft. Unfortunately most Raceland/Rokkor coilovers owners don't know what a blown shock feels like. Most claim they "handle amazing". Meanwhile their shocks are completely blown lol.

Once your strut towers are bent, good luck ever having a proper alignment again. Spending the extra money is well worth it.

You don't need to race in order to not cheap out. Anything around $2000 is for the street anyway. A race setup is more around $5-7000

There is my advice!

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #23
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Lindn View Post
What are you asking for here, dude? Permission to buy these POS parts? Look, if all you have to spend is $400, then go for it ... you don't need our affirmations or praise. No one will tell you that these are good, or even OK, because they're not. They're cheap, and that is all they are. If that's what you want to spend, and you want to go low, they go for it.

Here ... I'll give you another reason to buy them if you need it: They're pretty shiny!
Old 06-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #24
andrew.k
Top Gear Professional

Careful now, I heard they mysteriously combust after the three year warranty and your car explodes because they are zinc coated, so shiny the sun cooks the oil inside causing it to bubble up and cause 3rd* burns through your vents
Old 06-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #25
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

King Luis - what I was saying is that he should buy what he needs, and he doesn't need coils worth thousands. And I change my oil myself, I do everything mechanical myself except alignments. But I do buy the oil when it's on sale (GC 0w30) if that somehow helps validate your point.

doogee - all shocks can fail, the fact that your asshat friend kept driving around with blown shocks doesn't mean that everyone that buys racelands or what ever brand will have bent shock towers. Not to mention, it's not uncommon for bmw's to have this problem with other brands.

ScotcH - he asked if anyone had experience with them, no one here has except Jardine, who seems to think they're fine given the price. How do you know they're a pos?

Why does everyone seem to think that because their car was once worth $40k+ that it still is? Cut the elitist crap out, that whole "don't cheap out, it's a bmw" mantra is old and tired. Why did you guys cheap out buying a BMW instead of buying a Ferrari?
Old 06-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #26
BMXWill
2nd Gear Member

I guinea pigged raceland coilovers before there were any reviews. They blew out in under a year and the first time they bottomed out was also the last but I was still left with a slightly tweaked strut tower. They are total garbage coilovers!

With that being said, anyone that is trying to justify buying these and not listening to the warnings from reputable sources should in fact go ahead and buy them. "They can't be THAT bad, right?" hahaha

Buying Racelands/Rokkors now is like trying to run across the 401 when it's busy.. When it doesn't work out for you, all we can do is laugh and say "What an idiot!"
Old 06-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #27
Banned

Here is another suggestion on mine.

Buy yourself a set of lowering springs for around $220-250 shipped and call in a day. If all you want is to go a bit lower and still maintain some proven ride comfort.

I can recommend Vogtland as I had them on 2 of my E46s and absolutely lowed them before I went to Bisltein coils. You can buy Vogtland springs on eBay or from Vogtland website. eBay is much cheaper. They come with a 10 year warranty , btw . Havent had experience with other springs other then H&R, which I will never ever recommend to anyone, unless he is my pure enemy.

Renboy - some people like their 20 years old BMWs and pray that they'll become collectible at some point. Others just like the car in general and want to keep it looking good and in top shape while being safe, like myself. My 200k BMW isnt even worth a 1/3 of a new corolla in most people's eyes, yet I spend a pretty coil keeping it in shape and I can easily say that to me its worth it.

Back to the topic, Until I see any data that specifies that racelands/rokkor are unsafe or in a any way dangerous to use in the E46 platform I will recommend them to people who simply WANT TO GO LOW because thats all they do. There are other cheap coilover alternatives for those who wan tto go low. They are JOM and FK, They are also somewhat cheap and do the same thing. JOM are almost at the same price as Rokkor and FK are a bit more expensive. But you have to remember that price does NOT justify quality or performance for that matter. I gave the perfect example off my PSS9s, which retail at around $1700 and I can truly say they are PIECES OF CRAP. No way would I pay even a fraction for them if I knew any better. I'm a bit different, I wanted some "performance" gains but man was I wrong. I now learned that if you want performance out of your coils for your E46, you need to spend at least $2300 , anything less of that is the same "for show only" crap.

If you dont need performance, go and buy Rokkor.

Last edited by new member; 06-20-2011 at 07:16 PM.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #28
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:
Originally Posted by new member View Post
Here is another suggestion on mine.

Buy yourself a set of lowering springs for around $220-250 shipped and call in a day. If all you want is to go a bit lower and still maintain some proven ride comfort.
Definitely the way to go if you're looking to spend around $300!

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #29
Adrian_Lindn
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for everyones advice.....I think everyone justified that these are good/shitty....Many different opinions...I like the one where Andrew said the car could blow up.....I may enevr want coil overs again
Adrian_Lindn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #30
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

New member, I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I fully support people maintaining their cars, and even spending obsurd amounts, but only when needed. I see no reason why someone would spend $2500 on a suspension for a car worth $9k, when $600 will fit their needs perfectly. The rest is a waste and could be used on other things. Here's a list of things I've changed in the last 8 months:

rtab's
fcab's
brakes, with fluid flush
disa
oil filter housing gasket
ccv (cold weather version)
vanos seals
spark plugs
valve cover gasket
new summer wheels
new winter tires
new koni shocks/struts (waiting for eibachs before they're installed)
oil/filter obviously (couple times now)
siphon/refill p/s fluid with each oil change
other crap I'm forgetting

I'm old school, maintenance before performance. There's no point in coilovers when your bushings are all blown out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: