Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #16
LOWvert
former Honda man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by new member View Post
^ This thread helped me immensely in purchasing my first BMW...

This community has also been absolutely AMAZING in terms of the knowledge that they possess - DIY's, gas mileage postings, maintenance schedules, tips, etc... I have been a member of this forum since 2005 but only purchased my E46 in April because I decided to take the plunge - I'm sorry I never did it sooner

Everything in this thread thus far is great advice/tips.

If you find a car that you are interested in, my advice is too look it over extremely carefully on your own, and/or take it to a trusted shop and have them take a detailed look as well. If the dealer or owner of the vehicle will not let you do that, chances are they might be hiding something.

In terms of costs of ownership - yes it does cost a bit more to operate an E46 than a Honda (first off the M54b25 takes 7L of synthetic oil as compared to 4L in my Honda). Gas: I spend on average about $50-60 more a month than I did using regular unleaded, but it is well worth it as I get better gas mileage in the BMW (8.6L/100km) than in my 4-cyl Honda - I get about 660km on a full tank (mixed highway/city with moderate "spirited" driving)

The TSX and Genesis both take premium gas and probably require synthetic oil for changes as well so I doubt there would be any sort of savings over an E46 in operating either of these vehicles as a daily driver. The new Genesis coupe comes in a turbo model, and if you were to purchase this model, that adds a whole new element to the maintenance schedule.
LOWvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #17
seankim228
2nd Gear Member

Well..I got my first car as a 20 year old M3 so compared to myself, I think you're taking a much more reliable route lol

As for the costs of ownership, the parts are more expensive compared to other brands. It does really depend on how much you're willing to eat up for the car. I literally poured all my cheques into the car for almost a year working part time so..

In anycase, good luck with your purchase. Buying a first car is definitely a good experience.
seankim228 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: