Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Windsor, Ontario **NEW**
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
bart325is
IH8BART

Springtime Restoration

I figured I should start my own thread instead of hijacking Nerk's for the rest of the summer.

Lots of stuff to take care of this year. I want to get most of it done by the end of June so I can just drive and enjoy for the rest of the summer.

1. DONE. New intake gaskets, cleaned injectors (got rid of loud ticking noise, now I just have the regular valve train noise of the M20), PCV tube o-rings, small heater hose from throttle body to block (I had changed all others previously).
2. DONE. Install reman'd injectors since originals are leaking (gas smell in oil and hard start when warm).
3. DONE. New Bosch WR8LC+ spark plugs
4. DONE. Change the gas contaminated oil and filter
5. DONE. Get clean doors and new fenders (still need pass fender)
5a. To do. Get a paint job (still undecided if it will be this year or next)
6. To do. Weld seam in exhaust just before cat. Ghetto rigged with flexible tailpipe repair kit and 2 clamps from Partsource for now.
7. To do. New cat back or just new muffler.
8. To do. Rustproof the undercarriage if I don't pick up another DD before winter.
9. HALF DONE. Replace emergency brake cables, pads, spring kit.
10. DONE. Replace windshield.
11. To do. Install E30 drop hats.
12. To do. Replace all steel fuel lines.
13. To do. Replace front/rear anti-sway bar bushings and end links.
14. DONE. Replace ASA centre caps with BMW 57mm centre caps. Yeah, I know they are not genuine BMW rims but the caps look so much better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0482.jpg (74.5 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0481.jpg (77.5 KB, 245 views)
Old 05-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
bart325is
IH8BART

1. DONE. New intake gaskets, cleaned injectors (got rid of loud ticking noise, now I just have the regular valve train noise of the M20), PCV tube o-rings, small heater hose from throttle body to block (I had changed all others previously).
2. DONE. Install reman'd injectors since originals are leaking (gas smell in oil and hard start when warm).
5. DONE. Get clean doors and new fenders (still need pass fender)
6. To do. Weld seam in exhaust just before cat. Ghetto rigged with flexible tailpipe repair kit and 2 clamps from Partsource for now.
8. To do. Rustproof the undercarriage if I don't pick up another DD before winter.
12. To do. Replace all steel fuel lines.
13. To do. Replace front/rear anti-sway bar bushings and end links.
14. DONE. Replace ASA centre caps with BMW 57mm centre caps.
15. To do. Replace front wheel bearings.
16. To do. Install braided SS brake lines.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
bart325is
IH8BART

12. DONE. Replace all steel fuel lines.

Holy crap that was a lot of work. 10 hours worth. Picked up a crappy (not Canadian Tire) tube bender that kinked every 90 degree bend. Had to walk over to Partsource to borrow one.

Must finish the other ebrake cable next. Going over to Alex's to get my exhaust welded up tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
bart325is
IH8BART

6. DONE. Weld seam in exhaust just before cat. Ghetto rigged with flexible tailpipe repair kit and 2 clamps from Partsource for now.

Thanks to Alex at ACP for doing what he could to weld it up. The pipe was so thin I had to fill in the rest with muffler cement.

Scheduled for new (used) exhaust next week with Remus muffler. Also C/O Alex at ACP. Can't wait.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
bart325is
IH8BART

9. DONE. Replace emergency brake cables, pads, spring kit.

Fully functional emergency brakes with no sticking. Feels good.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
bart325is
IH8BART

7. DONE. New cat back or just new muffler.

Full new (used) exhaust with Remus cat-back. Looks and sounds great. Thanks Alex. Will post pics later.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
bart325is
IH8BART

13. DONE. Replace front anti-sway bar bushings and end links.

I would have painted the bar but I didn't feel like dropping a control arm to get it out. Plus I need to drive it tomorrow morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0570.jpg (60.2 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0572.jpg (55.1 KB, 190 views)
Old 06-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #8
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart325is View Post

Full new (used) exhaust with Remus cat-back. Looks and sounds great. Thanks Alex. Will post pics later.

SO you're the one!!! j/k

I'm waiting for mine to be shipped, I asked Alex if I can slap that one on for a bit cause my new ones on back order... but told me it was sold

How'does it sound? I was eyeing that muffler for a while...
Nerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
bart325is
IH8BART

Sorry man. Sounds great. The whole system is in very nice shape. The muffler tips are a little slanted and since it's all 1 piece I can't adjust it myself so Alex is trying to squeeze me in to straighten it out. Other than that I'm very happy with the sound and the looks.

You said you are buying a Remus from Bavauto? I would have just purchased a catback if my entire system wasn't ready to fall off. Couldn't pass up Alex's deal for that system in that condition. It should last me quite a while.

Also, did you use the Leatherique products yet?

Matt

Last edited by bart325is; 06-17-2011 at 02:36 PM.
bart325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
bart325is
IH8BART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerk View Post
SO you're the one!!! j/k

I'm waiting for mine to be shipped, I asked Alex if I can slap that one on for a bit cause my new ones on back order... but told me it was sold

How'does it sound? I was eyeing that muffler for a while...
Guess I should be a little more specific. I haven't actually been able to listen to it from the outside but from inside the car it has a nice deep throaty sound. Pretty loud but not at all uncomfortable at highway speed. As soon as I transfer some video from my SD card to make room I will do a video.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
bart325is
IH8BART

Time to freshen up the list.

5. DONE. Get clean doors and new fenders
6. DONE. Weld seam in exhaust just before cat. Ghetto rigged with flexible tailpipe repair kit and 2 clamps from Partsource for now.
12. DONE. Replace all steel fuel lines.
13. DONE. Replace front anti-sway bar bushings and end links
13a. To do. Replace rear anti-sway bar bushings and end links.
14. DONE. Replace ASA centre caps with BMW 57mm centre caps.
15. DONE. Replace front wheel bearings.
16. To do. Install braided SS brake lines.
17. To do. Reman rear half shafts

Picked up a nice looking rust free used pass fender on ebay today for $80 shipped.

Replaced both front wheel hubs. Installed some used backing plates since the old ones were completely rusted off. Both hubs came off complete with hardly any effort (there were a lot of helpful articles on various forums). The hardest part was filing down the outer edge of the dust cap because it interfered with my spacer. The pass side was the noisy culprit. Looked like it had been on there for a while. The driver side was newer and was in half decent condition but I bought 2 hubs so they both went on. Sanded down the spindles and dabbed a coat of Tremclad on them to freshen them up a bit. Had to search for a 36mm socket that would fit inside the hub. The rental from Partsource was too fat. Sears doesn't carry anything bigger than 32mm (at Devonshire). Picked up one from Princess Auto that fit perfectly for $9.00.

A few pictures below. Looks like I forgot to take pictures of the complete assembly when I was done. I was being pressured to finish the job. On Father's Day to boot. Pretty sad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0575.jpg (99.3 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0574.jpg (69.0 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by bart325is; 06-19-2011 at 09:11 PM.
bart325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
bart325is
IH8BART

Well, plans for the bimmer will be slow in developing since I recently picked up this black beauty:

The IS is still in the garage with the fenders and front clip removed. Hopefully I get time to put the rust free fenders and doors on and paint it this summer as I no longer have a vehicle with a manual transmission. I know I will miss that soon. If not then maybe it will be a bonafide / widely recognized classic by the time I get around to finishing it.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
North
2nd Gear Member

I wish my front endlinks looked as good as the ones you removed... mine have no rubber left in the lower bushing.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
bart325is
IH8BART

Your car looks better than mine though...
Old 04-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #15
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

See, you're thinking ahead get a truck and turn your E30 into a track car... I'm doing the opposite... building a track car... then finding a truck
Nerk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: