Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
Esquire
1st Gear Newbie

Typical BMW Attacks: A Noob's Perspective

Greetings all,

As my first post on the boards, I wanted to get an idea of what you have all encountered in regards to other people's opinions when you told them you were purchasing a BMW.

I'm researching the purchase of a used, low kms, E46 and have already recieved multiple "WTF's" from people when they ask what car I'm looking at picking up. So, as an educational exercise for myself and possibly other noob's, I'm going to post the questions I've got from others as well as the answers I have provided. If you feel like I was incorrect and require a correction, please let me know as this is obviously important in the purchase of a used car.

"BMW's are expensive to fix/maintain"

- Yes, they are expensive to fix/maintain. However, if you properly research the history of the previous owner and have it inspected before you purchase, the costs will be far less over time since you are more likely to catch something ahead of time. Also, cars in this price range tend to be looked after better by their previous owners than less expensive cars.

"RWD cars are dangerous in the snow. Only get AWD or FWD"

- As long as you purchase snow tires and refrain from driving like a moron, having a RWD vehicle is fine. People have survived owning RWD cars for years and this technology is nothing new. Also, taking driving lessons and practicing in parking lots after the first snowfall helps a lot too.

"You're just seeing the name BMW and wanting it because of that"

- Yes I am. I'm seeing the name BMW and understanding that there just might be a good reason why they are often considered to be the most enjoyable driving experience that a person can have.

"Gas is too expensive and it uses premium fuel"

- My commute to work is 15kms each way, 30kms total and it is city driving in the suburbs at a maximum of 80kms/hr. If I ONLY drove to work (I work four 10's), a tank of gas would last me a month. My girlfriend commutes 40kms each way, 80kms total EVERY day Mon-Fri and uses regular gas. So, for ME, the price of gas at the moment is not nearly as relevent as it is to someone like my girlfriend who is like a majority of drivers out there.

"Why not just get a G35 or Acura TL? They're cheaper to maintain and repair and a better value"

- Apples and oranges from what I understand.

"Having a BMW is going to cost you dearly over it's lifespan"

- Again, if properly maintained and serviced, I can't see the difference between owning a BMW and another high-end car being THAT much different. I also intend to have the car for no more than 4 years, after which, I will purchase another used vehicle in order to keep costs lower while at the same time trying to stay up-to-date so parts don't become harder to find.
Esquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
dannyb
4th Gear Member

Its not that expensive to fix if you do the maintenance yourself and you take time to shop around for parts. If someone is bugging you because you are buying a BMW or what ever car for that matter with your own money then maybe you should tell them to stay out of your finances. Unless the person complaining is your wife or accountant they should mind their own business.
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Actually they are not that expensive to maintain yourself. The parts are in line with most other cars. It comes down to the year of the car really.

The benefit to an older car is you get to investigate what problems pertain to that model/year. Buy a new car and you never know what might be crap. This is true especially for the first year of that model.

RWD is just as safe for the competent driver. Yes go have some fun sliding around. I like older cars without fancy traction control crap because it's just you, and the car - nothing messing around in-between trying to guess what is happening. You always need your wits about you. I've done some scary 360's right between parked cars without touching anything... it forces you to understand the car, and how it reacts to it's environment.

I've seen some newer BMW's that were useless in the snow, this is mainly due to not having the correct tires. Even with crap tires my car makes it through everything, LSD helps.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
Smitty
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
"BMW's are expensive to fix/maintain"

- Yes, they are expensive to fix/maintain. However, if you properly research the history of the previous owner and have it inspected before you purchase, the costs will be far less over time since you are more likely to catch something ahead of time. Also, cars in this price range tend to be looked after better by their previous owners than less expensive cars.
Most things in life represent some sort of trade-off. A BMW wouldn't feel like a BMW if it wasn't the product of a design ethos that valued the subjective experience over medium-term reliability.

Quote:
"RWD cars are dangerous in the snow. Only get AWD or FWD"
They can just mind their own business!

Quote:
"You're just seeing the name BMW and wanting it because of that"
Whoever's saying this is simply projecting their personal insecurities onto someone else. Everybody likes to express themselves; some people wear funny hats, some tell good anecdotes at parties, some drive cool cars. No better, no worse.

Quote:
"Gas is too expensive and it uses premium fuel"
Again, they can find their own business! Personal finances are just that: personal. If you choose to devote an extra $20/month to gasoline, the only person with any stake in the matter is YOU.

Quote:
"Why not just get a G35 or Acura TL? They're cheaper to maintain and repair and a better value"
Taste is subjective. I prefer brunettes, others prefer blondes. Telling me that I'm wrong would be obnoxious.

Quote:
"Having a BMW is going to cost you dearly over it's lifespan"
By focusing so intently on cost, the person making this statement is clearly approaching the matter from a non-enthusiast perspective. Explain that you are interested in cars, cars make you happy and you are ready and willing to indulge your hobby. I'm sure they do illogical things in pursuit of their own passions.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Esquire
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the input so far!

I'm not a gearhead or overly nuts about cars, but when I do drive, I certainly know what I have come to enjoy. My folks have owned nothing but Toyota's and Honda's, which are fine in their own right, but I am looking forward to getting behind the wheel of a machine designed and built for drivers.

At 29 years old, I'll admit that this will be my first car (always lived on a transfit route for work and parents pretty much gave me free reign over their Corolla when I needed a car), but I've been researching the crap outta cars since about November of last year off and on.

I make a decent buck, will be paying cash for 3/4 of the cost, and intend to have it all payed off within 6-8 months of getting it. So, any payments I was going to make on a new car, I'm just going to "pay" into my bank account incase something arises with the car.

Also, my girlfriend's uncle works at a shop locally and has told me that he can get parts for BMW's if needed so I'm sure that will come in handy. And I'm not an idiot, so I'm looking forward to learning more about my car and how to do everything myself. Exciting times.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
sski
2nd Gear Member

I agree with Smitty regarding his last comment, if someone looks a car as a utilitarian device to get you from a to b, you will never "convince" them.

Maintainance - mine has not been astronomical and I agree previous owners tend to take better care. Actually my insurance was lower than my previous ride (Honda Pilot). The insurance rep told me. they don't get as many claims because BMW owners seem to be more careful with their car. The vehicle's just by their nature tend to be better at accident avoidance...mine has saved me a few times

Winter - Get snows and you're fine. I sometimes think the guys having trouble are the ones leasing (ie/ factory all seasons). I heard people say "I'm not going to buy tires for a leased vehicle"

Gas - go easy and these things are quite efficient (efficient dynamics). Get on the pedal not so much. It's like the car says "You want to save $$, I will do that...you want to have fun, I will do that...just let me know"

When I first bought mine I got the comments "whoa...BMW...must be nice". My CPO BMW X3 was cheaper then their Ford Escapes and Dodge Caravan and a ton more fun to drive.

Which brings me to my last point...logic only goes so far...a BMW is an emotional experience. I'll let friends drive it and they will say..."now I get it". My wife didn't even want to go to the BMW dealer but I said "It's half an hour of your life and at least you will make an informed decision". After the test drive there was no doubt...she will never drive anything else.

And on a totally unrelated note...I prefer Brunettes as well

Last edited by sski; 05-17-2011 at 12:58 PM.
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Some cars are like sh!t pie.

If you have sh!t pie, you can put all the whipped cream and fancy sprinkles on it that you want; in the end it's still sh!t pie.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
sski
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDice View Post
Some cars are like sh!t pie.

If you have sh!t pie, you can put all the whipped cream and fancy sprinkles on it that you want; in the end it's still sh!t pie.

True dat...my mother has a 2010 Ford Escape Limited...loaded...sunroof, leather, nav, satellite radio etc etc...it's OK, but I'd take my 05 X3 in a second from a pure driving perspective. Domestics have always put lipstick on a pig...the germans actually build cars for drivers...cup holders are a fairly recent concept for them and even at that it's this flimsy thing that pops out of the dash (ie/ not top priority for them).
Old 05-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

If you wrench yourself youll be fine.

if you have to pay someone eh, it will cost you. dont even think about going to the dealer unless you want to fulfill what those poeple say. a good indy shop will have much better/resonable pricing for work.

old cars need work regardless. sure there are a couple things on bmws you have to devote more than 30 seconds of thinking to, but if you keep on top of it and replace certain things before they break youll be good to go.

rwd is fine in the snow with proper winter rubber. any car is capable with proper winter rubber.

those hondas/nissans suggested also take premium fuel.

Some people still give me the "whoa bmw " schpeal not realizing its a frikken 13 yr old 3 series lol and there *insert newer car* costs more than mine does.

If I wanted to impress folks with a badge I wouldve found my way into the newest 323 i could afford.

Last edited by SiR; 05-17-2011 at 03:59 PM.
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

SIR consider this. If you don't do your own wrenching, there would be a few points in an e30's life that would cause some serious pocket damage. I've had more than a few people come up to me and say "I love that car I used to have one... it became too expensive... etc etc etc..." If you take it to the dealer for every filter change, you better have a good job.

And about value... well just because a hyundai 'put model here' is more expensive in dollars than my 24 year old e30... does not mean for one second that it is better or more valuable as a vehicle to me. It serves the same purpose for less. The fact that someone spends 20+K on a modern crap can on wheels doesn't bother me at all, in fact it makes me smile, I love going further for cheaper; within a splash of old car class that is the e30.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 05-17-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
Esquire
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDice View Post
SIR consider this. If you don't do your own wrenching, there would be a few points in an e30's life that would cause some serious pocket damage. I've had more than a few people come up to me and say "I love that car I used to have one... it became too expensive... etc etc etc..." If you take it to the dealer for every filter change, you better have a good job.

And about value... well just because a hyundai 'put model here' is more expensive in dollars than my 24 year old e30... does not mean for one second that it is better or more valuable as a vehicle to me. It serves the same purpose for less. The fact that someone spends 20+K on a modern crap can on wheels doesn't bother me at all, in fact it makes me smile, I love going further for cheaper; within a splash of old car class that is the e30.
Once again, I am no whiz with cars, so how often would the E46 require filter changes or any other DIY-capable work? If my estimations are correct, I'd be driving around +/- 10,000kms a year.

Oh, and when you say "do your own wrenching" does this apply to the general public assuming they simply read some instructions or are they more intensive than that?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Buy a BMW, love driving it like every other BMW driver and laugh in the faces of the people driving Prius' and Civic's. As long as you do your research before buying the car and are willing to spend money on the car like any enthusiast should, you will have no problem.

As to buying parts and such, I own a 97 e36 and parts for these cars are as plentiful as candy on Halloween. There are a great deal of places and people parting them out. So if you buy an e46, the timeframe should line up so that as yours is still running, many other ones will start dieing or being parted out making parts very easy to come by.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #13
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Esquire what I mean exactly is start with the basics, change your own air filter. Success! Then start changing headlights, taillights marker lights, window wiper blades, etc. Then start changing your own oil. Move on to belts, (newer cars may be one belt). On and on.

There is a great feeling of satisfaction knowing you can do your own work, and knowing that you just saved at least 50% off what you'd spend taking it in to a shop. When it could be something serious you take it in.

My first car I was inexperienced and was suckered into getting a 'tune up' and auto trans filter/fluid change at a elite euro shop in Ottawa, it ended up costing me $850. Parts... about $500 including new ignition wires. Now I would do this all myself and save the $350.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 05-18-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #14
Esquire
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysantic View Post
Buy a BMW, love driving it like every other BMW driver and laugh in the faces of the people driving Prius' and Civic's. As long as you do your research before buying the car and are willing to spend money on the car like any enthusiast should, you will have no problem.

As to buying parts and such, I own a 97 e36 and parts for these cars are as plentiful as candy on Halloween. There are a great deal of places and people parting them out. So if you buy an e46, the timeframe should line up so that as yours is still running, many other ones will start dieing or being parted out making parts very easy to come by.
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "willing to spend money on the car like any enthusiast should". I'm expecting the put at least 1-2K per year into the car for regular maintenance and upkeep, which seems to be a minimum expected carrying cost of an E46 if I've read previous threads correctly.

What will certainly help me out is the fact that my girlfriend's uncle works at a body shop and a long-time friend of their family has serviced all their vehicles for years now. Both have dealt with, and still deal with BMW's and both have told me they would help me out should anything arise. I'm also a pretty quick learner, so I'm anxious to do work on my own car myself. I'm looking forward to seeing what all the excitement in owning a BMW is all about!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
People who attack my bmw's usually stick to:

"Why does your car look like its a decade/ two decades old?"
"Why is your car a decade/two decades old?"
"Why is your car so slow?"
"Why is your car so loud?"
"Why does your car look like the kind of car driven by a 17 year old drug dealer?"
"Why are there peices of your car missing?"
"Why do you have a tow hook in your front bumper all the time?"

The answer to all those questions is hardparking.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: