Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
Tekals
DIYer

e34 540 Clutch Replacement Question

Hi everyone,

I came across a e34 540i with only 150 000 kms on it. It has the 6speed manual transmission. The only bad part about it is that the clutch needs to be changed. Suggestions where I should get the parts?

I've checked really quickly to know how hard it is to change it. It seems pretty straight foward... anybody got some info like will all the bolts will be accessible from underneat without removing the exhaust or lifting the motor to put it in an angle?

I'd love to hear also about what I should check before buying this.

Thanks for your help
Tekals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Tekals
DIYer

any1?
Old 05-13-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

I've done it. IMO removing the tranny is easier than on an M5x motor. All the bolts are pretty accessible (under and above) and you don't have to have Gumby arms or miles of extensions to reach them. You absolutely have to remove the exhaust though - otherwise you'd have a hard/impossible time getting the driveshaft out of the way, nevermind the tranny. The front section will probably be a bitch due to rusted/corroded studs/nuts. I had to use a combination of air chisel and dremel to cut mine off, but it depends on what tools you have at your disposal.

Honestly, from what you wrote it seems like you haven't spent much time under a car. If this is the case you might wanna leave this one up to a shop. It's not the hardest job to do but it's not exactly a piece of cake either...
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Tekals
DIYer

I wasn't worried so much about that. I replaced clutch before. Main concern was the accessibility of the bolts.

I've been told to stay away from these V8 4.0L... eventhough it has very low milage they tend to be very unreliable... any inputs on that?
Old 05-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Have you heard about the "nikasil" issue? If not google it. These motors tend to get a bad rap because of it, but mine has ~190xxx on the original block with no issues. On a car this age, mileage is pretty irrelevant - I'd be looking more for evidence that it's been well cared for.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: