Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Photography
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Bmwstylz
6th Gear Member

Cool Canon SLR boys - night shots?

what lenses and setup (F , shutter etc) do you use for night shots with your Canon SLR?

...and what editing software good?

post some night photos you took!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
I don't shoot Canon, I have a Nikon, but, I'll try to help you out.

I think for Canon, and Nikon both, stock lenses are pretty much all you need, otherwise your gonna be forking out a lot of money for no reason if your not a pro.

F stop, and shutter depend on what your going for in your shot. Depends on exposure time really. You can go manual, and keep the shutter open for like, 40 seconds or something, or, you can do a 2 second exposure. Depends on what you want your shot to look like.

Night shots also rely on your ISO setting. If your doing a night shot with a lot of lights around you, your gonna want a lower ISO, and sotra vice versa for very little lights around you and in the shot.

Hope this helps some what.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
Derek
3rd Gear Member

Tripod is key. hit it about a 5-6 second shutter depending on ur aperature. check the pics as u take em. too dark then lower the shutter some more.

This was with a 24-105 f4L with a 40D on a tripod

with the stock 18-55mm

Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Oh woah, thanks for the tips guys!

I finally saved up some dough so probably in the next month I'll be picking up a base model Cannon or Nikon SLR. I just want some nice photos like yours Derek!

Quick question, how do you get the shot with rim's spining and same with the background but the car appears picture perfect. I remember you saying you have a car tripod setup that was big and hanged off the car itself.

Also, is just Photoshop CS3 good? I torrented a Photoshop CS3 online with all the basics. Just wondering how you can sharpen the look of the picture. I might have to take some photoshop lessons.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
Sneaky
One of the Zealots

Davenport by MrEllis, on Flickr
Old 05-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
Derek
3rd Gear Member

Yea its a rig that attaches to the car via suction cups, you can google them for designs if you want to make your own.

Ya CS3 has the sharpen option as well under Filter -> Sharpen but careful not to do too much or it will look horrible lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post

I finally saved up some dough so probably in the next month I'll be picking up a base model Cannon or Nikon SLR. I just want some nice photos like yours Derek!

Quick question, how do you get the shot with rim's spining and same with the background but the car appears picture perfect. I remember you saying you have a car tripod setup that was big and hanged off the car itself.

Also, is just Photoshop CS3 good? I torrented a Photoshop CS3 online with all the basics. Just wondering how you can sharpen the look of the picture. I might have to take some photoshop lessons.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post

I would upgrade to CS4 at least .. its a little smarter and can work a little better when fixing photos. CS5 is amazing on the things you can do but you need to run 64bit OS and have a decent video card.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: