Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Registering a car in Quebec to fight Toronto's insurance rates (long)

Did any of you try registering a car in Quebec to fight Toronto's insurance rates? Although I have a valid address in Montreal and want to reuse it later, I think this is a great idea for a Toronto resident if you have a car (or many cars) that you want insured for occasional driving.

Of course, a dd/winter beater must be correctly insured in Ontario because of the accident risk involved.

In theory you can:

1. go to Canada Post in Quebec and open a P.O. box
2. call a SAAQ inspection station ahead of time
3. after booking an appointment, drive to Quebec, get the car inspected and drive back.
4. get it fixed and drive back up again.
5. After approval, go to SAAQ office, present your inspection and recieve your temporary sticker. This can be done with Ontario DL.
6. Your temporary sticker must be returned to the SAAQ for new plates (which can even be done same day).
7. Drive to Toronto.
8. Drive back to Quebec. Recieve your $250 annual registration fee in mail. You can prepay in advance for more years, so you don't have to return.
9. Go back to Toronto and laugh all the way to the bank

NOTE: This will cover liability insurance for the whole year. This will not cover damages. This is why it's advisable to use it on summer cars, track cars, etc.

NOTE 2: If you miss the $250 payment then you will not be able to re-insure again. You will be required to re-apply for the SAAQ inspection test. Also need to take 2-3 days off work and spend $200 in gas. But I think it's worth it.

NOTE 3: If you are pulled over you can say "I just moved to Quebec but visiting my family in Ontario". That should be appropriate enough. I have been pulled over in Quebec, with my Quebec car and Ontario DL with no issues.

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform

Last edited by BMW_7; 05-08-2011 at 07:59 PM.
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Its illegal and you could be denied a claim if they came to find out - not worth the hassle.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
325isdan
5th Gear Member

I pay $6 a month with State Farm here in Ontario for my 1989 E30 with 12000km a year of driving distance.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

10. Get arrested for fraud
Old 05-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
Its illegal and you could be denied a claim if they came to find out - not worth the hassle.
everythings illegal - and they could deny your claim anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
I pay $6 a month with State Farm here in Ontario for my 1989 E30 with 12000km a year of driving distance.
lol - what are you 65 or over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadesm5 View Post
10. Get arrested for fraud
how would that be fraud? who would he be committing fraud against?
I think its a $500 non criminal 'fine' for 'confessing' to having an incorrect address on your licence. some one can look up the statutes

I've actually been accused of this, or the 'what are you doing here from another province at night'? what are you actually serious? theirs qc cars all over here 24/7 - ottawa/hull.

so the replies to this thread have in essence been: if your a retired person or wealthy & or for whatever other reasons, means wanted to rent a beach house, stay at a friend or relatives for a 3 monthts longer - they are criminals comitting fraud. that taking 'sabbaticle' from life or being wealthy & Freely Traveling or vacationing is some how a criminal act? lolwut!?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:30 AM   #6
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Im under 30.

I will never switch from State Farm.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
2slow2race
6th Gear Member

waste of time. and illegal i think.
2slow2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
dannyb
4th Gear Member

or you can go the easier way, move to qc
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro View Post
how would that be fraud? who would he be committing fraud against?
He would be committing fraud against the insurance company.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadesm5 View Post
He would be committing fraud against the insurance company.
+1

Then they will screw your ass.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #11
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
I call BS! (unless you are under 25 and that is the portion of premium for you as an occasional on your parents E30 which is insured as a classic in Fort Severn, ON) pics of your policy for proof pls!

Now, Re: Quebec insurance for an Ontario car....

Any creative idea to dodge paying premiums, especially one that requires you to misrepresent your actual information, is not wise. (and would most likely VOID your coverage anyways)

Fact is, if you are licenced in Ontario you MUST insure your vehicles in ON. Under your proposed scam, if you were pulled over by the OPP, you'd likely be charged for not being properly registered, reporting your [fake] address change in the required amount of time, and driving without insurance. It doesn't matter if you insure it in QC or Mexico. It isn't insured where the law says it has to be.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Did you mean to say $60? Even $60 would be cheap. When I called state farm when I was 21 to ask for a quote they told me something ridiculous like $7000/yr. I laughed out loud and hung up on them. Got a quote from Belair for $1800/yr a few minutes later.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

My best under SilverWheels was around 21$/mth with my old E30. I still needed a DD and had to have pictures and everything for it. I think it was around 600$/year.

I got pulled over by Durham Regional Police one time without insurance, lets say the cop was beyond kind as I only got 3 tickets that night instead of the tow truck impounding the car and taking my lisence.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #14
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

We pay $15/month on our spider .... that's not even the cheapest. Some dudes I know pay $90/year on their old as cars
Old 05-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #15
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Ill post pics when I get home.. Im 27 and my insurance is under my name. One speeding ticket 4 years ago on a motorcycle I used to have, 3 point ticket.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: