Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
bmwmck
3rd Gear Member

spring/strut install advice

i'll be installing some new springs and struts on my e46 in a few days.

anything else recommended to install at the same time, like front/rear bushings? other stuff?

thanks for input
bmwmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
oakville46
2nd Gear Member

Based on how many km's are on the car, a new set of rear strut mounts doesn't hurt.
oakville46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
bmwmck
3rd Gear Member

over 200,000kms. all highway miles, but still its a lot
Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
mclovin
3rd Gear Member

One question, how r u planing on installing rear springs? I'v been thinking about this and im not seeing how u can compress rear springs because of the way they r seated...
Old 04-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
andrew.k
Top Gear Professional

You don't need to compress the rear springs silly. All you need to do is unscrew the bolt at the bottom of the shock (which you will be doing if you’re going to replace them anyway, and the control arm will drop. Get a friend to stand on the rotor and you can pull the spring out/put the new one back in; there won’t be any pressure on it. Make sure to use the parking brake. Then use a jack under the rotor to help you install the new shock. Hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
andrew.k
Top Gear Professional

btw, where are you getting the struts from? And please inbox me the price, I may be doing the same thing shortly.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
arsevader
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.k View Post
Make sure to use the parking brake.
I think you mean 'make sure the parking brake is off'...
'03 320i
'96 Volvo 850R
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.k View Post
You don't need to compress the rear springs silly. All you need to do is unscrew the bolt at the bottom of the shock (which you will be doing if you’re going to replace them anyway, and the control arm will drop. Get a friend to stand on the rotor and you can pull the spring out/put the new one back in; there won’t be any pressure on it. Make sure to use the parking brake. Then use a jack under the rotor to help you install the new shock. Hope this helps.
Bentley manual recommends that you take the half shafts off the diff so that you avoid damaging the cv joint which is possible if you follow this advice.

That being said, spraying some lube on the rubber for the top of the spring makes it go in easier
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
6appeal
3rd Gear Member

On top of my springs (Eibach Sportline) and struts (Koni STR.T), I also installed the following:

E46 M3 Cabriolet rear strut mounts
(Thicker, heavy duty, should come with new paper gaskets)

Turner Motorsports rear strut reinforcements
(reinforces, reduces/eradicates any creaking or groaning)

E46 XI front strut reinforcement plates
(if your E46 is a non-Xi but you have code ZCW-Cold Weather Package, your car will already have these)

If you are already lowering and you want to squeeze another 1-2cm of drop out of your front suspension, opt for the Mechunik Front Lowering Spring Perches available from Bimmian. These perches do not affect your suspension in any way; they simply replace your stock spring perches which are thicker.

$0.02
Old 04-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
bmwmck
3rd Gear Member

going with eibach pro kit / koni fsd from tirerack. on the more conservative side since its my DD and unfortunately my winter car too. should be a fairly nice drop though.

so im thinking: RSM, FCAB, RTAB, and front strut/rear shock reinforcement plates
Old 05-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #11
B6T
2nd Gear Member

I'm in the exact same situation right now with similar mileage. Recently replaced FCABs and RTABs. The car squats, dives, and rolls a lot more than it should, which I thought was due to my winter tires... but with the summers now mounted I've realized that the shocks and springs have got to be replaced.

I was going to go with the Koni SRTs and OEM sport springs, but then I considered that the shocks may not pair well with the OEM spring rates. So then I figured that I might as well get a set of springs that works better with the firmer shocks, and level out the front/rear fender gap that is uneven with the OEM springs. Then, I realized that for the price of the Koni SRTs and springs, I could get the H&R Touring Cup kit, which has springs matched to struts and would provide an overall better package then a spring set and shock set that may not work as well together.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #12
bmwmck
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B6T View Post
I'm in the exact same situation right now with similar mileage. Recently replaced FCABs and RTABs. The car squats, dives, and rolls a lot more than it should, which I thought was due to my winter tires... but with the summers now mounted I've realized that the shocks and springs have got to be replaced.

I was going to go with the Koni SRTs and OEM sport springs, but then I considered that the shocks may not pair well with the OEM spring rates. So then I figured that I might as well get a set of springs that works better with the firmer shocks, and level out the front/rear fender gap that is uneven with the OEM springs. Then, I realized that for the price of the Koni SRTs and springs, I could get the H&R Touring Cup kit, which has springs matched to struts and would provide an overall better package then a spring set and shock set that may not work as well together.
oh nice! yeah the h&r cup kits have been on my list of possibilities too.

let me know how it turns out and how you like the set up. i hear nothing but good things about them. i'd be love to see how the drop looks! i won't be ordering mine for another 2 weeks or so until i start my new job.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
arsevader
4th Gear Member

You'd be better off getting the Konis and separate springs.

Cup Kit shocks go bad quite quickly. The konis have a lifetime warranty and are a better shock overall.
'03 320i
'96 Volvo 850R
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: