Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Used Car Certification at St/Dealership?!

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums, and I'm looking for a '04-'05 E46 Sedan or Coupe. I have never bought a used car in Ontario and don't know what to expect. My budget is around 10-12K before taxes... I've been looking on Autotrader/Kijiji/Craigslist.. and the only good deals I can find seem to be at dealerships example: Downsview Place Autogroup. I seem to think that buying from a dealership is good because the vehicle comes "certified" by the shop which gives me a 36 day period in which to bring the car back after.. I dont know whether or not to get the vehicle to ANOTHER Pre Purchase inspection at a Midas or something (I don't know any good mechanics).

Don't know what to do here.. and I feel like I'm not in control or confident of any purchase?

ALSO I need the car to be under my parents name and I need to be the secondary driver on it (for obvs insurance sake).. How does that work.. Can I buy the car with my own chq book and put it under my folks name??

GEEEZ this is brutal.. I know... so much thanks.. hope to be a forum member frustrated by noobs, one day too...
BMWdouche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdouche View Post
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums, and I'm looking for a '04-'05 E46 Sedan or Coupe. I have never bought a used car in Ontario and don't know what to expect. My budget is around 10-12K before taxes... I've been looking on Autotrader/Kijiji/Craigslist.. and the only good deals I can find seem to be at dealerships example: Downsview Place Autogroup. I seem to think that buying from a dealership is good because the vehicle comes "certified" by the shop which gives me a 36 day period in which to bring the car back after.. I dont know whether or not to get the vehicle to ANOTHER Pre Purchase inspection at a Midas or something (I don't know any good mechanics).

Don't know what to do here.. and I feel like I'm not in control or confident of any purchase?

ALSO I need the car to be under my parents name and I need to be the secondary driver on it (for obvs insurance sake).. How does that work.. Can I buy the car with my own chq book and put it under my folks name??

GEEEZ this is brutal.. I know... so much thanks.. hope to be a forum member frustrated by noobs, one day too...
I wouldn't trust a used car certificate from a third party dealership.
After the purchase, I always take it to a shop I trust and have a safety done again. if anything is missed, the original company that did the safety is responsible.

It's not warranty.... just indicates the car is safe at that time.... but should be done correctly.

ahhh Insurance fraud..... although I hate the cost of insurance, if you're primary, you're primary.

Insurance will pay if you have a 5-6 thousand dollar claim.
If you are in a real mess... the other guy is injured or something.. and you've got legal action against you for $100K, you can bet your insurance company will look for any way to avoid paying you.

Better have all transactions done by your parents, if it's "their" car.....
MrRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Ah.. well put.. I will get all the transactions done by by them.. on "their" car.. Thanks much.. I am appreciative of this community already!

Do you think the purchase a WISE decision though? I am 23 with a decent paying office job (just started work a year ago).. need something reliable and fun without breaking the bank.. People are telling me to put 10K more and buy a new VW jetta or something?

I love the idea of having a E46 though.... Any thoughts on this??
Old 05-04-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

If you're first starting off with a job, I'd buy something else.

For the first year or so... you want to keep your options open...
be able to quit your job if you hate it, and not worry about car payments etc.

I'd spend 5K or less and get a reliable Honda/Toyota/Mazda.... stay away from German cars.

tried my hand at a 911 C4S, bit me in the ass. $3000 for a clutch job (need to replace the fly wheel as well).... $1900 for cats... .$1800 for rear main seals.... ehhhh.... and then.. there is the famous auto destruction of the motor because of a faulty bearing design in the engine..... all from a car from Paff Porsche.

That was just too much for me... I wouldn't go past an M3 personally in a German car....

E46's a pretty good. 2004 and 2005 are good years. The Motors in general are very solid

- They have weak control arms.. weak front ends in general
- Alternator problems
- Window Regulator problems
- Vanos heads fail (This is why VTEC is much better..... it doesn't fail.. and it doesn't loose performance over time)
- Rust (yes... these cars rust.... Check front of hood under the grills, door seams, rear fenders)
- They have crappy valve cover seals.. and they go early
- Door Lock control modules fail.... major safety issue...
- Steering racks can leak
MrRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:39 AM   #5
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

If you really want a BMW, do not get a Honda/Toyota/Mazda; you would never be happy. If you are dedicated, get $200 worth of tools and spend some time on the net (or get a repair manual) and you will be able to do almost any job you need to on your car. Next best solution is to have a good shop that can take care of it for you, without overcharging. Price of parts can also play a big factor, so you have to know where to buy!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

went for an E90 325i Sport pkg instead... best decision ever.. thanks for the encouragement!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

Congrats! pics?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
Banned

I didnt see any encouragement for buying an E90. Did I miss something.

Also , how did you manage to snap one for 10-12k ???
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #9
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Encouragement for a bmw in general... And I doubled my budget into the 20s. That's how. I uploaded a few pics on my profile to check out.

Tags
buy, dealership, e46, mechanic

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: