Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
Guelphguy
2nd Gear Member

Acid Rain Etching - Will DA Remove?

I have a black 530i - was in Kitchener this past Sunday when we had a sudden hail storm. Didn't notice till I washed the car and yesterday in the direct light that I had millions of tiny little "craters".
Thought it was from the hail, called ins. co, took car to their preferred shop and they said it is actually etching from acid rain?? I have a $500 deductible and they want me to drop off the car and they'll wetsand and buff the car, if craters are too deep, they may have to repaint!!
I have a porter cable 7424...I think I should try just just buff it out before anything! No?
Anyone had issues like this before? Perhaps I need a 2nd shops opinion?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but acid rain etching isn't something that falls under your comprehensive coverage.

It is different from hail damage in that hail happens suddenly (as you experienced) and has a definable "date of loss". Acid rain etching occurs over years and is gradual.

This is considered a maintenance issue, not a claimable loss.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Since your car IS 8 years old it wouldn't surprise me that you have "fall-out" on your paint.
the environment wreaks havoc on any paint surface over time. Acid rain, chem. salt etc.

If you don't know what you are doing with that buffer; you can really screw it up and make it worse!!! Take it somewhere that has experience with this stuff. a reputable shop who knows how to wet sand and/or cut and polish the surface without burning through. I would think this would be the first go over the paint so there is lots to work with. Keep in mind when you cut and polish you are stripping very fine layers of clear coat off the car.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
picus
Detailing Geek

Send a message via AIM to picus
I know it's tough - but do you have any pictures of the damage? Acid rain damage is very uncommon in Toronto. I see it a lot on cars out of southern US states, but almost never on Canadian cars.

If it is acid rain etching the determining factor will be how deep they've etched. i really would love to see a pic if you have it, it's very possible you're dealing with something else.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
I know it's tough - but do you have any pictures of the damage? Acid rain damage is very uncommon in Toronto. I see it a lot on cars out of southern US states, but almost never on Canadian cars.

If it is acid rain etching the determining factor will be how deep they've etched. i really would love to see a pic if you have it, it's very possible you're dealing with something else.
Up ti'll recently Shell fuel contained the highest sulfuric acid content. they changed their formula. Back in the 90's bmw 530 v8's were having problems because the cylinder walls were deteriorating due to the different sulfur content between here and Germany. At first they thought it was a design flaw but later test showed that it was our fuel and the metals used were incompatible for that particular engine.

where you have Sulfur, you have acid rain; the smog factor also contributes to this. Since we generally have low smog in comparison to US. it is less common but still evident. I have run into enough cases in my 20 years dealing with cars here.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
Guelphguy
2nd Gear Member

I'll try to get some pics although I am sure very difficult. I also wonder if I should get a 2nd opinion from another shop. I've only had this car for about a month...I bought it because the paint was so good...it was well maintained, rust proofed...no door dings, etc.....
It was definitely after the hail storm that suddenly, only when clean, in the light, at certain angles that you can see all these varying spots over the whole top of the car that upon close inspection appear to be little "craters" in the clear....so maybe it is hail and not acid rain etching?
I was in Kitchener this past Sunday by the way and that is when the storm blew through......the insurance co, said they were dealing with many hail damage claims!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: