Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #106
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
the state of the union....
New cam seals in, new water pump installed

Tomorrow, install timing belt and reassemble!

Hopefully your done for this weekend, clear some space in you PM box, trying to send you the times for this weekend at Mosport.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #107
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
Hopefully your done for this weekend, clear some space in you PM box, trying to send you the times for this weekend at Mosport.
I'm trying to get it all done today. Just need to fab some mounts for the electric fan and weld on the mounts for the skid plate (won't be able to finish the skid plate though). Then put the front end back together, swap front right caliper, top up the coolant and bleed. Hoping to make it out tomorrow afternoon since thats supposed to be the nicer of the two days this weekend.

I cleaned some space out in my inbox.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #108
defaultName
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Just need to fab some mounts for the electric fan
What type of fan are you using? Are you using an electric fan instead of your mechanical fan or both?
defaultName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #109
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

Just wanted to chime in... My '87 IS is still alive, but has a broken leg (Master Clutch Cylinder, hopefully fixing it soon).

However how many E30's have I laid rest?

1984 325E: gutted and scrapped the shell
1985 325E: 95 %Gutted shell still in my garage, going to rebuild the shell for a track car
1989 325I: still mostly together, but gutting it and transplanting most of it into the '85 with a turbo'ed M20B27 block with the "i" head.

random other parts found along the way, came with a '87 325 my buddy got is the remnants of another gutted BMW, according to the VIN its also a '85 325E,

but by god... LONG LIVE THE E30'S!
Nerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #110
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultName View Post
What type of fan are you using? Are you using an electric fan instead of your mechanical fan or both?
I bought a 14" no name fan off of ebay to replace the auxiliary fan which was broken by a p/o in a front end collision. For now I'm going to try running it without the clutch fan. I installed a lower temperature switch (80/88 I think). I'm just going to use the existing aux fan circuit for it except I might just bypass the low speed resistor so it will kick strait into high speed.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #111
defaultName
5th Gear Member

Quote:
I bought a 14" no name fan off of ebay to replace the auxiliary fan which was broken by a p/o in a front end collision. For now I'm going to try running it without the clutch fan.
The reason I ask is because I'm pulling my a/c (compressor, condenser and lines) and I need to remove my mechanical fan in order to pull my condenser out. I was planning on just using the auxiliary fan instead but I wasn't sure if it will provide enough cooling on its own?

When I did a search online and it seems to be sufficient even for daily driving in summer. Some E30's had an auxiliary fan that wasn't attached to the condenser so I am going to buy the necessary brackets (they are pretty cheap from the dealer) so I can actually mount it.
defaultName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #112
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultName View Post
The reason I ask is because I'm pulling my a/c (compressor, condenser and lines) and I need to remove my mechanical fan in order to pull my condenser out. I was planning on just using the auxiliary fan instead but I wasn't sure if it will provide enough cooling on its own?

When I did a search online and it seems to be sufficient even for daily driving in summer. Some E30's had an auxiliary fan that wasn't attached to the condenser so I am going to buy the necessary brackets (they are pretty cheap from the dealer) so I can actually mount it.
Yep. That's what I would have done if my aux wasn't broken.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #113
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

I wanted to report my car survived yet another track w/e with tremendous performance. This year the car is sporting it's new suspension, nothing fancy but eons better than stock H and R sport plus Billy sport springs and shocks. Got some used Bridgestone S-03's that were completely awesome. I had a ball blasting by the e30 M3's that were out there and was playing around with a 4 door e36 M3 for the two days, had me up the straight but got it back in the turns.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #114
Mpellizze30
2nd Gear Member

ive run the electric fan with no clutch fan on a stroker and now the s50b32 and its tight under the hood but it seems to be getting the job done np, id say its a worthwile mod for shure, take a little stress off the engine and put on the battry. i was told it even adds hp but i was never too sure of that
Mpellizze30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #115
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpellizze30 View Post
i was told it even adds hp but i was never too sure of that
Technically yes, it will also technically improve engine response. However the change is negligible. I didn't really notice any change.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:46 AM   #116
voluted
2nd Gear Member

It's a lot quieter on hot days without the clutch fan. That was reason enough for me when I had the M42. I didn't really notice a difference in performance either.
voluted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #117
hosty
323i???

You missed canuckder, big things coming this spring for his car.
hosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #118
DIRT_Racer
2nd Gear Member

There is a HP gain, not as much when its freewheeling, then its just mass, When it starts to lock up, that provides DRAG on the engine. If your VERY tight for HP and have lil room for mods (like my race class), even finding a lighter Alt can help pick up small gains. It may only be .5 or 2 HP, but its a bit more that you didnt have.
DIRT_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #119
canuckder
4th Gear Member

Ohhh yess, you can add me to the list.

First start video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVsuUJ_So5E

along with that, new vs-xxs in 17x9, rx-7 brake kit, and some more surprises. pictures soon!

Thanks to the much needed help from e30kid89 for getting it started
Old 05-15-2011, 04:33 AM   #120
Woofer
6th Gear Member

I know it's been awhile, and i actually thought i wasn't going to buy another e30, but i did it again lol. Here are a few pics of the old ladies i have had lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e30-1.jpg (74.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg e30-11.jpg (94.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg e30-2.jpg (78.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg e30-22.jpg (73.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg e30-3.jpg (103.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg e30-33.jpg (40.3 KB, 85 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: