Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Jeff2886
2nd Gear Member

Question Seized wiper pivot assembly

I need your help guys.
I've read a lot of posts saying home much of a PITA this is and then a lot of back and forth arguments on bimmerfest from like 6 years ago.

Here's my issue: My wipers are seized.

Here's what I've done: Removed the wiper motor on its own to bench test it.

Here's what I would like to do: Remove the whole pivot assembly (4 bar linkage). Just so we're clear, I'm talking about the piece in the picture below.

Help!

One of the pivots in the assembly seems to be seized. Of course, it's the one on the passenger side that you can't really see unless you take off the PS vent, shove a flashlight through the firewall opening and squint from the PS side. (Refer to the small linkages on the left side of picture behind main pivot.)

Ideally I believe I need to get the whole assembly out, oil it, and get it back in. From what I gather looking at the situation, I need to take out the heater core. I've read that I can get away with just taking off the shrouds.

If you guys can help, that would be AMAZING. If someone in Ottawa has done it before and is free this weekend to show me something that I am CLEARLY missing, beer is on me.

My back-up plan is to get my mechanic to do it while he's safetying the rest of the car.

PLEASE HELP!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W01331607336OES.jpg (41.8 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Jeff2886; 05-04-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Jeff2886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
E36is
'OldSchool..'

try spraying the siezed pivot with graphite lube, 3in1 oil or pb blaster, let it sit for an hour and try the wipers. A friend had his siezed (non-bmw) and like the e30 it was a biatch to take out, we thoroughly soaked it with a good lubricant and it became unseized. gl.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Jeff2886
2nd Gear Member

I'll give it another shot but the problem is that I can't get lube or on blaster on it very well given where it is. I kind of just spray the whole area.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

I've done this once, definitely not a fun job. You can leave the heater core in, it' doesn't get in the way. You have to remove the blower motor and the shrouds, the clips that hold the shrouds in place can be a bit of fun to get on/off. I remember the air recirculation flaps get in the way and you have to remove this plastic linkage that's attached to the small motor that closes the flaps. I spent a good hour trying to get them out and just ended up breaking the links off (my car had no AC so I didn't care about recirculation). Taking the wiper motor off is a must as well, I've read of people who have done it without removing the motor but I'd like to actually see someone do it because it seems like it makes the job that much harder. Once you have all that stuff out you just have to manipulate the linkage the right way and it will come out. Another word of advice is to mark the orientation of the blower motor relative to the shackle that holds it in place because it should go back in the same orientation. And taking putting that shackle back on can be a bitch although I didn't have much trouble with it.

And as always installation is the reverse of removal lol.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
mgunter
2nd Gear Member

Mine was seized and it took out the motor that was in the car when I bought it. I put a new motor in thinking it was just a motor issue but I quickly realized what the problem was before I burned it out too. I left the linkage in the vehicle and sprayed it. I left the motor disconnected and worked the linkage a bit and then hooked up the motor and let it run for a while. It's been fine ever since.
mgunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Jeff2886
2nd Gear Member

Like I said, I'll give it another shot. It's damn near impossible to get a concentrated stream of breakaway spray onto the problematic area on the passenger side.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff2886 View Post
Like I said, I'll give it another shot. It's damn near impossible to get a concentrated stream of breakaway spray onto the problematic area on the passenger side.
just spray the crap out of it even if it's in the general area. you may have to repeat this a good number of times and be patient. it could take days or maybe weeks for the oil to penetrate in.

if you do decide to remove it. As noted above -removing the motor makes the job a bit easier along with the blower motor,shrouds clips flaps etc. You can also pry on the pivot to disconnect it to make removal easier as this is a common method used.

GL

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: