Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
BigD
the misanthropist

Autocrossing with Dick Turner

Bonus:

Old 04-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

I don't wanna be doing anything with a Dick.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
I don't wanna be doing anything with a Dick.
Not until you're married or what?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
sb_600
5th Gear Member

I haven't looked through all of them yet, but so far it looks pretty interesting. Thanks for the compilation!
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Not until you're married or what?
My Dick is not this Dick.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
Blades
Your opinion is to long

I agree with everything except steering. That would be the old way they taught steering but now find that that old method can cause your hand to slip and let go of the steering wheel. You should be steering with your hand going over your other hand and then letting the steering wheel go as you go back to the 9 and 3 position.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:33 AM   #7
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

Classic 'your mileage may vary' sort of situation. My understanding is that shuffle steering is the norm in autocross, where as on a track you keep your hands at 9+3 as much as possible since it is a rare occasion that you will have to reposition your hands (on a track) anyway.

I would just butt out and let an instructor or somebody more interested chime in BUT THIS IS THE INTERNET SO YOU ARE WRONG AND PROBABLY A NAZI

uh
nonlocal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:35 AM   #8
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

Also, Colin McRae is the titties
Old 04-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #9
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlocal View Post
Classic 'your mileage may vary' sort of situation. My understanding is that shuffle steering is the norm in autocross, where as on a track you keep your hands at 9+3 as much as possible since it is a rare occasion that you will have to reposition your hands (on a track) anyway.

I would just butt out and let an instructor or somebody more interested chime in BUT THIS IS THE INTERNET SO YOU ARE WRONG AND PROBABLY A NAZI

uh
The NORM as you call it would be to change your steering ratio for autocross so you wouldnt have to turn the wheel that much to make a tight turn. Just like Colin McRae has in that video.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Old 04-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
My Dick is not this Dick.
haha

Old 04-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
The NORM as you call it would be to change your steering ratio for autocross so you wouldnt have to turn the wheel that much to make a tight turn. Just like Colin McRae has in that video.

...but anyway, I'm not sure what you mean? I've never seen a car with an adjustable steering ratio... In a rack and pinion you'd have different sized, selectable pinions or something?
Old 04-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #12
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:

...but anyway, I'm not sure what you mean? I've never seen a car with an adjustable steering ratio... In a rack and pinion you'd have different sized, selectable pinions or something?
why the hell would you be arguing if you dont have the slightest clue what your talking about? keep that up on this forum and people are going to look at you like they look at ericdalinda .. just a shit disturber

Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Yup, you're right about the hand position. I can't even do that on most tracks, since I get a pec cramp if I try to hold my hands at anywhere near 180 degree lock (ie crossed), so I pre-grip for many turns. On auto-x, forget it.

Here's my buddy who's a repeat Solo nationals champion. Winning run from 2009. Note the pre-gripping for >180 lock turns. Also good lesson for anyone who doubts you can drift a FWD

2009 SCCA Solo Nationals from Alex Muresan on Vimeo.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades
why the hell would you be arguing if you dont have the slightest clue what your talking about? keep that up on this forum and people are going to look at you like they look at ericdalinda .. just a shit disturber
Sigh. My mortal fear of being considered a troll notwithstanding, a google search for 'autocross "adjustable steering ratio"' returns exactly 2 results, both talking about Audi's fancy ADS automagic transmission options on the 2011 S4.

Moving to something I do have the slightest clue about, I can assure you that adjustable steering ratios are certainly not the NORM at autocross events in the GTA-- though admittedly we don't get too many group 4 rally cars out. If folks are running such things in more serious Solo II events, I was unable to find any information about them in a brief search, and this after all being a forum for discussion, I figured just asking might be an appropriate next step.

Though I can see already you are the sort of fellow who sees admitting ignorance as a form of weakness, and assuming it wouldn't sully the normally stellar level of discourse here to move past monolithic statements of opinion, now would be a perfect time to illuminate me.

Last edited by nonlocal; 04-13-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Added quote.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #15
pawcio
6th Gear Member

^ who cares what people think about you...you're not from around here

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: