Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
fisico
1st Gear Newbie

Help for my first car!

Hello everyone. I just joined maxbimmer and am hoping to get a better insight into what might be my first car. I am a huge BMW fan, and have been contemplating either an e46 325i, or an e90 323i. My budget is 14,000$ and I've found lots of ads for both these cars

I am not in need of a fast car... I am more in it for a car that performs great, looks even better and one that I can appreciate all round (not a car that I'm going to regret). With that said, reliability and fuel economy are huge factors that are of importance to me.

How are these cars inside and out? Are they gas guzzlers? Are there any known tranny or engine problems?

Or perhaps I've failed to realize a smarter choice?

HELP!!
fisico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

first car , as in 17yrs oldish and just got your license? just curious.

have you checked on insurance if that is the case
Old 04-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
fisico
1st Gear Newbie

Yeah, except I'm not 17, I'm 21.

I haven't checked insurance yet.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

My guess is $10000-$12000 /yr for first car, first insurance, no drivers training
BMW's aren't a great first car (from an insurance broker's perspective)

With drivers training and jumping through some hoops, $4500 -7000.

1998 328ic - Sold

Last edited by hockeyfan27; 04-11-2011 at 04:58 PM.
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

^^^ hes in the know.

Id definitely consider a lot more options
Old 04-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

You're better off, buying an e36, pay cash $3000 or less. Insure it for liability only, until you get some miles under your belt, then, once 25 dive into a 335.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
You're better off, buying an e36, pay cash $3000 or less. Insure it for liability only, until you get some miles under your belt, then, once 25 dive into a 335.
The OP said : I am not in need of a fast car... I am more in it for a car that performs great, looks even better and one that I can appreciate all round (not a car that I'm going to regret). With that said, reliability and fuel economy are huge factors that are of importance to me

I don't think that the 335 meets those criteria.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
I don't think that the 335 meets those criteria.
the 335d does

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Mark, I did read what he wrote, read the rest of the thread. He's 21 and first car. Hockeyfan 27 is in insurance and he gave an approx quote of what he's looking at for insurance on said car. That being said, my suggestion of an e36 paid cash so no financing and liability only still stands. As long as his record stays clean when he turns 25, the sky becomes the limit as he'll now pay more regular rates. Hence my suggestion at that time (in 4 years) still applies as he also said he doesn't want to regret his decision as most do with purchasing the lesser of available models of said year!

Pawcio............I agree 335d fits all!

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:37 AM   #10
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan27 View Post
My guess is $10000-$12000 /yr for first car, first insurance, no drivers training
BMW's aren't a great first car (from an insurance broker's perspective)

With drivers training and jumping through some hoops, $4500 -7000.
Man, good thing i owned a VW as my first!

I would honestly go for the E90 just cuz it's newer, but if budget is key, then i would definitely go for the E46. It's cheaper to maintain, and parts are easy to get a hold of when needed.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmw1 View Post
Man, good thing i owned a VW as my first!
hehe..me too.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #12
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
I thought the car barely makes a difference to insurance? When I was first looking for insurance (21, G2, 5 years experience, never insured ["borrowed" my dad's], 1 minor ticket), the lowest quote I got was $470/month.

Through my dad's insurance company and with a bunch of discounts I get through that (multi-policy, multi-vehicle, good student, special group discount [this company only insures special groups like architects]) I started off at $220/month. Now, a year and a half later and with a G, 23yrs, I pay $127/month.

I'm actually not sure why it dropped so much on renewal (190->127). The renewal package came with a bunch of "changes" that have been made to insurance policies by the government, I couldn't be bothered to really sit down and try to understand it.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Last edited by Dr. Flyview; 04-12-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #13
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisico View Post
I am not in need of a fast car... I am more in it for a car that performs great, looks even better and one that I can appreciate all round (not a car that I'm going to regret). With that said, reliability and fuel economy are huge factors that are of importance to me.

How are these cars inside and out? Are they gas guzzlers? Are there any known tranny or engine problems?

Or perhaps I've failed to realize a smarter choice?

HELP!!
Most times, we WANT things, not that we NEED them...its ok to be a BMW fan, to admire the nice line and the power of a M etc etc...

At 21 and shopping for your first car, I would suggest that you check the insurance first, for this payment is forever not the $14,000 you would pay once for the car...

BMW uses premium gas too, so that's about at least 20 cents more than regular gas.. and with gasoline price increase almost every week, it might hit $1.60 per litre this summer and thats for regular gas...on the other hand, if you can afford a BMW then gas price is not in the equation...isnt it? but it is a factor to you,, so something to think about...

Reliability: all cars breaks down. some more so than others.. BMW 335, issues...(lately I have been reading on this from E90post and the stories of HPFP concerns me, I even called Parkview BMW yesterday and was told some were changed 3 times), so do your own research...

Finally.,, I think you have failed to realise a smarter choice....(VW golf) but if you reallly want a BMW. and from the 2 you had identifed.. go with 323..looks nice.. newer and power is sufficient...

and who says buying a car is easy....
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
I thought the car barely makes a difference to insurance? When I was first looking for insurance (21, G2, 5 years experience, never insured ["borrowed" my dad's], 1 minor ticket), the lowest quote I got was $470/month.

Through my dad's insurance company and with a bunch of discounts I get through that (multi-policy, multi-vehicle, good student, special group discount [this company only insures special groups like architects]) I started off at $220/month. Now, a year and a half later and with a G, 23yrs, I pay $127/month.

I'm actually not sure why it dropped so much on renewal (190->127). The renewal package came with a bunch of "changes" that have been made to insurance policies by the government, I couldn't be bothered to really sit down and try to understand it.
The car chosen can have more of an impact the younger you are or how recently you are licenced. The new legislation hasn't had an impact yet, positive or negative. Your drop was likely because your company rates based on your licenced years, not insured years. You've been licenced for a while, so after your first year of insurance you jump to a much cheaper rating, much more quickly then someone who is newly licenced. Check the driving record (or star rating) on your old policy vs the renewal. I'd bet you jumped a few notches.

For the OP, the Doc gives good advice! For your first insurance a good place to start is with the company that does the policy for your family vehicle and/or house. Many companies are offering combined discounts that can make a huge difference. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
fisico
1st Gear Newbie

I am very much so leaning towards the 323i. Does anyone own one; who maybe has any complaints?

I was contemplating an Acura TSX or a Jetta TDI.. But I just don't want to save up...And end up with a car that when I look at it, I'm not going to be 100% happy/proud of. I know the BMW will be more money maintenance/gas wise. However, if the car's mp/g are good, and the manufacturing of the 323i is good enough where I'm not repairing weekly then I think it is the way to go...

Thoughts!
Suggestions!!!

Thanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: