Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What is the answer?
2 26 47.27%
288 29 52.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #106
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
I dont need to know you, or your level of education - not that it even matters because people now adays walk around with BA's in everything and some how think that their BA in basket weaving makes them think they are the smartest person on the planet.

If you were given a problem, like the one you mentioned above, there would be 1 correct answer with 2 values - as Big D stated, because they both satisfy the problem.

Personally, in all my life, in which I've done math, questions as the one you posted were only solved with 2 values and not 1, because 1 value would only be 1/2 the marks allotted for the test, and not full marks. Therefore you are wrong and the concept/idea that you bring forth to prove your point with that post is also wrong and irrelevant and does not apply to this thread. Furthermore, the entire concept of doing a problem like that, is to find both values OR in some cases no second value exists, and therefore that too must be stated.

I am sure that you can use your attained level of education to varify this claim.

Also, what was childish by my comment? That it was freaking hilarious and made me LOL, and the fact that it takes away from any of the mathematic credibility/know how that you have and pretend to have in this thread? Because thats exactly what it does. Sorry dude, but dont make stupid remarks that make you look dumb.
How many times do I have to say that on an test or exam is some one said solve the quadratic it has 2 answers. I agree with that so I don't understand why this is being brought up.

BUT forget about a quadratic in that case.

Here is the question to answer.
Give one value of x that satisfies the following equation:

l x l = 6

If I asked 10 people....who knew what l x l meant...perhaps half would say -6 and the other half would say 6.

OR

Give one value of x that satisfies the following:

4x > 12

...and answer of x being greater than 3.....that means 4, 5, 6, 7 etc...or even (3.0000000000001) would be correct.

but I'm done with this thread anyway (last post). /thread x2

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #107
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
He is adding information, so he is the revisionist mathematician. It's not implicit multiplication, it's just multiplication... ... Removing the * does not give special powers to the multiplication in the term.
I appreciate you're done with the discussion. I'm not expecting a response, nor do I expect that everyone will agree on 1 answer.

However, my friend is not adding or modifying anything.

48 2(9+3) = x contains no written multiplication symbol. He did not remove it. The multiplication operation is implied or as my friend said, "is implicit multiplication". It isn't "just multiplication". His explanation is that the lack of that multiplication sign does in fact, carry a different set of rules.

from a follow up email from him:
Quote:
There should be no controversy, just simply a very precise definition of Order of Operations. It requires a definition of implicit multiplication and the requirement that implicit multiplications be done prior to the left-to-right order of multiplications/divisions. Similar to exponents, which actually indicate multiplications, having priority as well.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #108
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan27 View Post

from a follow up email from him:
Quote:
There should be no controversy, just simply a very precise definition of Order of Operations. It requires a definition of implicit multiplication and the requirement that implicit multiplications be done prior to the left-to-right order of multiplications/divisions. Similar to exponents, which actually indicate multiplications, having priority as well.
One problem is that exponents are clearly mentioned in the order of multiplication rules and in the BEDMAS acronym, but implicit multiplication is nowhere to be found.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #109
sirex
King Sirex

Paw, you used the example before to prove your idea that the O.P. has 2 answers. That idea/train of thought is incorrect, that is why it is being brought up. There is only 1 answer for the problem posted originally with 1 value, unlike what you said in the last page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawcio View Post
How many times do I have to say that on an test or exam is some one said solve the quadratic it has 2 answers. I agree with that so I don't understand why this is being brought up.

BUT forget about a quadratic in that case.

Here is the question to answer.
Give one value of x that satisfies the following equation:

l x l = 6

If I asked 10 people....who knew what l x l meant...perhaps half would say -6 and the other half would say 6.

OR

Give one value of x that satisfies the following:

4x > 12

...and answer of x being greater than 3.....that means 4, 5, 6, 7 etc...or even (3.0000000000001) would be correct.

but I'm done with this thread anyway (last post). /thread x2
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: