Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What is the answer?
2 26 47.27%
288 29 52.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #16
LOSO
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 162


When it's written as 2(9+3), it's already implied that the 2 belongs to (9+3). Anyone in engineering knows that the answer is 2.

The answer would be 288 if it were written as 48(9+3)2 =

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36_freak View Post
I calculated this and got 288
i googled the equation and google's calculator comes up with this
(48 2) * (9 + 3) = 288

I also tried it on WolframAlpha.com (Wolfram|Alpha is more than a search engine. It gives you access to the world's facts and data and calculates answers across a range of topics) and got to the same result
Input:

48\2(9+3)
Result:
288


EDIT*
for those getting 2. why do you multiply before dividing? i always thought you solve the numbers in bracket first and once that is done you either multiply or divide, whichever comes first. Multiply doesn't take precedence over divide...
type this into wolfram alpha: a/b(c+d)

What do you get?
LOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #17
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
lol

48
---(12)
2




maybe a better way of looking at it is like that.
Correct. In order for it to be 2, it would have to be written as 48/(2*(9+3)). As is, it can be written as 48*(1/2)*(9+3) and NOT 48*1/(2*(9+3))
__________________
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #18
SickFinga
Moderator
 
SickFinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Location:
Posts: 16,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSO View Post
When it's written as 2(9+3), it's already implied that the 2 belongs to (9+3).
The only thing that is implied by 2(9+3) is that there is a multiplication sign between the 2 and the opening bracket.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #19
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!
 
Axxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,772
48/2(9+3) = (48/2)(9+3) = 288
48/2(9+3) = 48/(2(9+3)) = 2

Live happy knowing that both are right, and that this question is too vague.
__________________

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #20
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,846
if brackets aren't inserted into the equation, you cant automaically assume that they are there, or that they belong there.

If you use any calculator with algebraic execution of functions, your answer will be 288.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #21
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!
 
Axxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
if brackets aren't inserted into the equation, you cant automaically assume that they are there, or that they belong there.

If you use any calculator with algebraic execution of functions, your answer will be 288.
My Ti-83+ says 288.
__________________

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #22
woofster
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 578
This is the obvious answer:

__________________
2006 BMW X3
2003 Acura MDX
woofster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #23
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
My Ti-83+ says 288.
want to make out? My TI-34 II says 288 as well.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:59 AM   #24
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member
 
El Gato Liso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brampton
Posts: 3,141
your calculators are incorrect, because you're inputting the equation wrong.

seriously. with fractions, if there are any manipulations, you must do to the bottom what you do to the top. if you got 288 you are wrong since you're dividing the numerator (ONLY!) by 2 = 24.

fine, but given that you must also divide the denominator by 2 as well which those who are getting 288 aren't doing.

soooo, given what i said you should correctly have (48/2) / {[2(9+3)]/2} = 24/12 = 2.

as soon as the division sign is present, its a fraction. therefore....

48
(DIVISIONSIGN)
2(9+3) <---clearly you can just do the math 2(12)

48
(DIVISIONSIGN)
24

= 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 215862_1563864110218_1643820044_1156696_2439966_n.jpg (27.3 KB, 72 views)
__________________
R.I.P. E30
El Gato Liso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:20 AM   #25
SickFinga
Moderator
 
SickFinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Location:
Posts: 16,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
your calculators are incorrect, because you're inputting the equation wrong.

seriously. with fractions, if there are any manipulations, you must do to the bottom what you do to the top. if you got 288 you are wrong since you're dividing the numerator (ONLY!) by 2 = 24.

fine, but given that you must also divide the denominator by 2 as well which those who are getting 288 aren't doing.

soooo, given what i said you should correctly have (48/2) / {[2(9+3)]/2} = 24/12 = 2.

as soon as the division sign is present, its a fraction. therefore....

48
(DIVISIONSIGN)
2(9+3) <---clearly you can just do the math 2(12)

48
(DIVISIONSIGN)
24

= 2
solve this then

42/2*10
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:21 AM   #26
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member
 
El Gato Liso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brampton
Posts: 3,141
210
__________________
R.I.P. E30
El Gato Liso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:00 AM   #27
SickFinga
Moderator
 
SickFinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Location:
Posts: 16,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
210
in the post above you said

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post

as soon as the division sign is present, its a fraction. therefore....


So why the double standard?
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #28
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,846
maybe a better way of looking at it for your el gatso, and a way that might make more sense is in a more complicated way.


48 / 2x

where x = 12


48/2x = 24x

You would still divide by 2 first to simplify.

24(12) = 288.

after you've simplified, then you can multiple the x.

Last edited by sirex; 04-10-2011 at 10:15 AM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #29
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member
 
El Gato Liso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brampton
Posts: 3,141
i knew you were going to say that captain obvious. i will explain....

there is a lack of brackets in that equation. there is not double standard at all.

BEDMAS says Division first, so 42/2=21, the Multiply next, 21*10 =210

if it were 42/2(10) then i would have treated the equation like a fraction...do brackets first then divide. 42/20 = 2.1

multipication and division roll together. addition and subtraction roll together.
__________________
R.I.P. E30

Last edited by El Gato Liso; 04-10-2011 at 10:38 AM.
El Gato Liso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #30
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member
 
El Gato Liso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brampton
Posts: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
maybe a better way of looking at it for your el gatso, and a way that might make more sense is in a more complicated way.


48 / 2x

where x = 12


48/2x = 24x

You would still divide by 2 first to simplify.

24(12) = 288.

nahhh brooo..

if you're going to simplifiy 48/2x, then you would have 24/x. you cant just get rid of the "/" you know.

heres the expanded form of wat you used as an example.

48.......48........1
--- = --- x ----
2x........2........x

if X is 12...

48.......48.......1............48
--- = --- x ---- = ----......... = 2.
2x........2.......12...........24


multiplying fractions? numerator x numerator. denominator x denominator.

the answer IS 2.
__________________
R.I.P. E30

Last edited by El Gato Liso; 04-10-2011 at 10:31 AM.
El Gato Liso is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2015