Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #61
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
Sounds exactly what you are doing. Lets see

Front brake disc
M3 - $152
M5 - $228

Brake pads
M3 - $153.50
M5 - $169.50

6 spark plugs vs 8
1 HFM vs 2 (which is a common problem on M5 as far as I know)
5.5l of oil vs 6.5l
13.8l/100km vs 15.7 (average)

There were 9,992 M5 sold in North America and 43,779 M3s (including convertibles). So I doubt that M5 parts are more common.

What, are you stats canada? i thought there was 9993 sold! anyone can post numbers online,

I don't know where you have been for the last 3 years, OEM rotors 3 years ago costed $450.00 each today I am getting them for around $180.00 each pads $95.00 and thats a higher end pad, There were more e39 chassis sold is what I meant. Different cars i know, but alot of the same parts etc. VS's the e46 M3's. Why dont' you talk real parts not sensors and sparkplugs, What does blown e46 M3 Tranny rebuild cost or a used one? never mind SMG, I can get a used e39 M5 tranny for alot less.

Last edited by parm; 04-08-2011 at 04:41 PM.
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #62
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis View Post
thats down to personal preference and all those cars had an exhaust which makes the point invalid. stock vs stock, you can barely hear both of them. also, the m5 redlines at 6800rpm where the m3 goes up to 8000rpm. huge difference there. then again if your modifying the exhaust, you can make the m3 sound less raspy and more throat and have the m5 sound more raspy also.
Yeah, they both had a B&B exhaust, so it's a somewhat fair comparison. But you're right, it's personal preference - I posted my opinion but I honestly wasn't trying to stir shit up or offend people.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #63
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm View Post
What, are you stats canada? i thought there was 9993 sold! anyone can post numbers online,
Yes I'm

Quote:
I don't know where you have been for the last 3 years, OEM rotors 3 years ago costed $450.00 each today I am getting them for around $180.00 each pads $95.00 and thats a higher end pad,
This is irrelevant. I post prices from the same American supplier for the OEM parts. Sure aftermarket parts can be found cheaper, but the price difference is still there.

Quote:
There were more e39 chassis sold is what I meant.
Who buys used chassis parts? Only when your cars is rusted to shit or an accident car. So it's not really relevant, but I bet there are more E46's out there than e39s.

Quote:
Why dont' you talk real parts not sensors and sparkplugs, What does blown e46 M3 Tranny rebuild cost or a used one? never mind SMG, I can get a used e39 M5 tranny for alot less.
Most cars go through their entire life on the original tranny. Can't say that about the maintenance parts. Since you brought up tranny and claim M3 tranny cost more than M5, how about you compare how much it would cost to rebuild an engine.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #64
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
It really varies from car to car.
This is true. Ours has 130k, and it slips from time to time if you stomp on it. My guess is mostly due to the PO who used to live downtown... stop and go city driving FTL.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #65
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

I like how people discredit internet posts as "its just the internet and doesnt mean anything"...but then continue to do it themselves.

How many of each version of the E39 M5 were produced?
ECE (LHD): 7,895 examples produced from 10/98 through 06/03
ECE (RHD): 2,595 examples produced from 10/98 through 06/03
NA (LHD): 9,992 examples produced from 09/99 through 06/03
Old 04-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #66
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Who buys used chassis parts? hmmm....., like half of the people on here!
There has been 8 BMW's in the family all drivin well past 300k and never had to rebuild an engine, so I wouldnt know.

All the prices I post are from suppliers who supply the dealer, not online prices.

This aint going anywhere, we can sit online and argue parts all day long, you will always find some way to object, it is what is, so to the OP, go buy your M5 and lets go for a cruzz!

P.S I am selling my suspension set up koni adjustables with H and R Springs Less than 6 mths old and less than 5000k on them.

Last edited by parm; 04-08-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:19 AM   #67
Aloush
3rd Gear Member

which car is cheaper on insurance? i remember pricing out an M5 a year ago and it was through the roof.
Aloush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #68
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

4dr vs 2dr drivers history all are factors, My M5 is pretty cheap for full coverage, then again its a 11yr old car.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #69
n0thingface
1st Gear Newbie

ive got an 03 m5 and it the same to insure as an 05-06 m3 and i dont really see a huge benifit from going to an m5 from what you are driving now other than more expensive to fix and worse gas milage. dont get me wrong i love my m5 but she does have an attiude problem some times. and likes to take my money like all good ladies......
n0thingface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #70
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iM View Post
Thank you! However, I have these two links under my favorits plus another 10 links which I go through daily looking for the approperiate E39 M5. Once again, thank you.
There is a 2000 M5 coming on the market in a few days which is dark metallic blue, and was imported from Texas 2 years ago. If you want to see it, PM me and I'll put you in touch with the garage where it is being serviced. I looked at the car today when I was at the garage in Richmond Hill.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:35 AM   #71
Gamite

You guys are missing the point. Whether it costs $200 more or $20 more, the fact of the matter is, the M5 will cost more in maintenance. Even if its not a lot more, it is still MORE. $20 bucks here and there adds up in the long run. Even aftermarket parts cost more simply because there is MORE. i.e. headers and exhaust. (x2)

You cannot justify the fact that the M5 doesn't cost more to maintain. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, its just a fact.

Parm, if the SMG solenoid goes, you don't have to replace the whole tranny, its repairable. And within reason.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #72
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
People don't like the truth plain and simple, I might be dence,blunt,etc. but I am a staright shooter man, I will tell you the facts not make up stuff. I am still wondering if I met you at La Poloma one time. Did you have that Grey AUDI?
No it has nothing to do with the truth. You're flat out trying to say the M5 doesn't incur more running costs then an M3, when EVERYTHING is more expensive.

Insurance, gas, oil, parts, etc, etc... That is all a part of the running costs.

I don't think we have ever met. I will make it out to La Poloma one day this year I never had a grey Audi.

This is my car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Oo jeez, here we go again.....

*Owner of an M5 with OEM clutch with 189697km's on it that is only getting replaced because it only causes slight issues when I track the car or REALLY push it*
LMAO so because you 'may' still have the OEM clutch in your car everyone else out there with clutch issues with the E39 M5 should be ignored?

You and Parm just have this needy feeling to defend your car, fine. But don't be blind. Most OE M5 clutches fail well before 100k on these cars, that shows the clutch is WEAK, I've had friends with these cars back when they were new(er). You can do a simple google search about the issue even and ton's of issues/discussion pop up.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #73
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite View Post
You guys are missing the point. Whether it costs $200 more or $20 more, the fact of the matter is, the M5 will cost more in maintenance. Even if its not a lot more, it is still MORE. $20 bucks here and there adds up in the long run. Even aftermarket parts cost more simply because there is MORE. i.e. headers and exhaust. (x2)
They're not even near the point.

They're just trying to defend their purchase without realizing that their being dumb about it. It's amazing to see these two try to explain that "it's only a few things, like this and that" but at the end of the day, the M5 is more expensive to drive/maintain then an E46 M3.

End of story.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #74
540iM
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
There is a 2000 M5 coming on the market in a few days which is dark metallic blue, and was imported from Texas 2 years ago. If you want to see it, PM me and I'll put you in touch with the garage where it is being serviced. I looked at the car today when I was at the garage in Richmond Hill.
Thanks Mark! However, a 2000 model year is something I'm not considering due to the later year modifications done by BMW. There is a 2002 in BC that I'm considering at this time...i'm only detered by the fact that it had a minor accedent
540iM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #75
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
the M5 is more expensive to drive/maintain then an E46 M3.

End of story.
End of discussion. This shouldn't effect the OPs dicision by much.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: