Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #31
325isStephen
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
I just talked to a friend who owns a BMW repair shop in Richmond Hill and he told me about an E39 M5 with a $3200 repair bill for a clutch job, not including the price of the clutch. Then since the job was not done properly, Engineered Automotive had to fix it for $1000....
I read through the whole thread to see if anyone mentioned how expensive replacing the clutch is. Definitely a good point, it will easily cost you a few thousand for an item that wears over time, let alone if it fails for any other reason.

Both thhe e39 m5 and e46 m3 are great cars. I'm sure the m5 handles great in corners too, as it is a bmw after all. If your used to driving a 5 series and liked it. The m5 is only going to bring more to the table. However its not like were talking about an e30 m3 here, a e46 m3 is a very DD friendly car too, just coupe rather then 4 doors is something to think about.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #32
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isStephen View Post
I read through the whole thread to see if anyone mentioned how expensive replacing the clutch is. Definitely a good point, it will easily cost you a few thousand for an item that wears over time, let alone if it fails for any other reason.

Both thhe e39 m5 and e46 m3 are great cars. I'm sure the m5 handles great in corners too, as it is a bmw after all. If your used to driving a 5 series and liked it. The m5 is only going to bring more to the table. However its not like were talking about an e30 m3 here, a e46 m3 is a very DD friendly car too, just coupe rather then 4 doors is something to think about.
But is does not cost $3200. The shop worked on it twice but could not get it right. But the owner found a rare 8-hose hookah in the trunk, so it was worth it.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #33
325isStephen
Drifter

Quote:
But is does not cost $3200. The shop worked on it twice but could not get it right. But the owner found a rare 8-hose hookah in the trunk, so it was worth it.
Yes your right, from what I have heard its around 2000.00 for a clutch replacment on an e39 m5.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #34
fastfive40
1st Gear Newbie

You cannot go wrong with either car, they are both great but different just as a regular 3 series and 5 series are different from eachother. I know some will scough at the fact that Im bringing non-M cars into the equation but they are just faster, better handling versions of their counterparts with some aesthetic treatment.

So my train of thought would lead me to believe there is a reason you bought a 540i instead of a 330i, maybe you were looking for a car with more luxury, refinement, presence, torque, top end pull and passenger room? Thats what an e39 M5 will have over the e46 M3.

The e46 will be more nimble, track friendly and faster off the line. One thing to consider since everyone is talking about maintenance is the fact that as the cars age, there will always be a more abundant supply of used M3 parts vs M5 parts.
fastfive40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #35
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isStephen View Post
Yes your right, from what I have heard its around 2000.00 for a clutch replacment on an e39 m5.
4.5 hours if you are not smoking your hookah, and $416 for the clutch kit = $1000 tops! Just go to a real shop and it's not $2000 or $3200 and still a trip to another shop to fix up the first shop's screw-ups
Old 04-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #36
1BADBMR
6th Gear Member

Get the ///M5
V8 > I-6
04 Honda Civic (Beater)
93 318i (SOLD)
1BADBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #37
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Compare this:

to this:

The M3 just sounds annoying in comparison.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #38
fastfive40
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_V View Post
Compare this:

to this:

No disputing the M5 V8 sounds much better hands down......then again, even 540i with exhaust sounds better than e46 M3
fastfive40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #39
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
4.5 hours if you are not smoking your hookah, and $416 for the clutch kit = $1000 tops! Just go to a real shop and it's not $2000 or $3200 and still a trip to another shop to fix up the first shop's screw-ups
If someone with an M5 replaces the clutch with a stock clutch kit they're idiots... The M5's clutch is already not strong enough for the TQ it makes which is why it fails so soon.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #40
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
If someone with an M5 replaces the clutch with a stock clutch kit they're idiots... The M5's clutch is already not strong enough for the TQ it makes which is why it fails so soon.
I was just mentioning that some shops charge $3200 for labour and still can't get it right, but at least you find a free hookah in your trunk when you pick up the car!

In the case I mentioned, the customer had supplied an upgraded clutch kit. The $3200 was for labour to install and fix it twice, but it was still not fixed.

Last edited by MarkD; 04-08-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #41
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
WTF? I guess you cannot follow a conversation too well. I didn't even bring up the nickle and diming part.

It's obvious you're just blind because you own one and you're just trying to justify that. Too bad you cannot simply agree that the running costs (not just parts like you keep bringing up) are higher on an M5 then on the M3 when it is the truth.

FWIW, I own a car that most people consider to be the king of nickle and diming you to death.
I don't have to justify anything, people like to hide behind the truth and make up shit that they believe is true, and then believe it. Running cost on the M3 is not less than the running cost on the M5, Parts are much more common on the M5 than the M3, and obviously you’re not in the automotive business to know what things cost brother!
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #42
davericher20
black and blue

I would love to find a free hooker in my trunk!
alive though amiright?

I keed I keed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #43
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Quote:
I was just mentioning that some shops charge $3200 for labour and still can't get it right, but at least you find a free hookah in your trunk when you pick up the car!

In the case I mentioned, the customer had supplied an upgraded clutch kit. The $3200 was for labour to install and fix it twice, but it was still not fixed.
Please someone show me the OEM clutch on an e39 M5 is weak??? Many other factors can come into play when a clutch feel like its "WEAK" Mark D is right I have seen many clutch installs come back to were my father worked because it was not done right. My Car has an OEm clutch, Ask The boys at Stance Factory about my clutch.
-Flyweheel issues
-leaky slave
-air in the system
-Broken damper
-I have seen people just replace the disk because they are to cheap to buy the kit then ask why does this "new" clutch feel like crap.

Last edited by parm; 04-08-2011 at 10:51 AM.
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #44
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_V View Post
Compare this:

to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfive40 View Post
No disputing the M5 V8 sounds much better hands down......then again, even 540i with exhaust sounds better than e46 M3

thats down to personal preference and all those cars had an exhaust which makes the point invalid. stock vs stock, you can barely hear both of them. also, the m5 redlines at 6800rpm where the m3 goes up to 8000rpm. huge difference there. then again if your modifying the exhaust, you can make the m3 sound less raspy and more throat and have the m5 sound more raspy also.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #45
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis View Post
also the m5 redlines at 6800rpm where the m3 goes up to 8000rpm. huge difference there.
No, stock on an S62 is exactly 7000 and you can safely raise it to 7500 (actually even higher). The V8 has a short crank and is not so suceptible to torsional vibration as a longer crank is.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: