Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #16
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
If you are nickle and diming some of the maintenance components that you need to change once in a couple of years, then yes, but really, 2 extra spark plugs, an extra air filter, muffler (which you will never need to replace), etc hardly make such a huge difference. The MAF's (which I mentioned) and the VANOS are part of the very few items that make a larger difference.

I am not saying it isn't true, but for a well taken care of example, it won't be a HUGE bank breaker. I mean if finances were your number 1 priority, you wouldn't be looking at these cars in any case.

There ARE clean M5's around, you just have to be patient and NOT picky with colour. I know some people prefer the 01+ Models (nothing wrong with that, it is what I was going to get from the states too), but once in a while VERY clean 00 examples come up locally (there is currently a LMB low mileage example on kijiji) so maybe don't completely discount them. When I was looking there was a well priced 01 not too far away from the GTA, but it was sold by the time I called.
Be patient, you CAN find something local.

Also, condition/maintenance > mileage.

e60 M5 is a totally different car, one I have no real desire for so I can't comment much.
It's not about nickel and diming here.

The M5 is more expensive to maintain. Plain and simple. It's funny because you and Parm are the only ones arguing it. Am I saying it breaks down more? no. But everything on the M5 costs more and is more complex then on the M3. Gas, oil, parts, etc.

If you choose to deny that, all the power to you.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #17
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post

The M5 is more expensive to maintain. Plain and simple. It's funny because you and Parm are the only ones arguing it. Am I saying it breaks down more? no. But everything on the M5 costs more and is more complex then on the M3. Gas, oil, parts, etc.

Just check how much a VANOS rebuild on an M5 is...

I suppose it also depends where you take it for that repair.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #18
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Have you driven the m5?

I mean if its the car you must have then go for it. Nothing anyone says here can take that away from you.

Drive both, compare operating costs(though as pointed out the m5 is more costly) , compare size since the m3 is quite a bit smaller than what you are used to.

And go from there. Cant really go wrong with either.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #19
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite View Post
Everything on M5 is x2 vs M3. Vanos x2, mufflers x2, MAF x2 plugs x8 vs 6 on M3.

Yes it's more expensive.

Approx., $800 for 8 aftermarket coils for the M5 or $600 for 6, if youíre worried about $200 difference between cars, you will cry regardless when it comes to the upkeep of a M3 or M5, Itís a huge waste of money but the M5ís Power makes up for that.
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #20
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Quote:

Nickle and diming and you want to own an "M"? I guess thats why some ex- BMW owners have moved to Subaru for cheap power.
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #21
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm View Post
Nickle and diming and you want to own an "M"? I guess thats why some ex- BMW owners have moved to Subaru for cheap power.
WTF? I guess you cannot follow a conversation too well. I didn't even bring up the nickle and diming part.

It's obvious you're just blind because you own one and you're just trying to justify that. Too bad you cannot simply agree that the running costs (not just parts like you keep bringing up) are higher on an M5 then on the M3 when it is the truth.

FWIW, I own a car that most people consider to be the king of nickle and diming you to death.

Last edited by NOTORIOUS VR; 04-07-2011 at 04:58 PM.
NOTORIOUS VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #22
540iM
2nd Gear Member

boys...I asked for an opinion so that I can get a step closer to making up my mind. The bottom line is that owning an M car will cost you a shiny dollar to maintain. I had previously mentioned that I don't care about this factor.

Now back to the subject...any other opinions?
540iM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #23
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iM View Post
just to clarify...I will not be tracking but that shoudn't disqualify the M3 given that performance is the number one qualifier for an M seeking individual. This is the problem. I want the performance of an M3 arround the corners and newer look but I can't seem to get my mind off the torque of the M5 and the conviniance it provides.....
To be honest, there isn't much on the streets in terms of corners that's going to set these two cars apart. Yeah the M5 is heavier, but you're on the street, how fast will you really be going? Both cars perform great on the back country twisty roads. The sound of the M5 V8 should be enough to convince you . It sounds way better than any E46 M3 will ever sound IMO. The only reason I'd buy an E46 M3, personally, is with the intentions of putting an HPF turbo kit on it.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #24
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
that is one hell of a decision. since you own a 540i i'd say with the M5 you'd be more familiar with the car and things to look out for. with the M3 your basically new to the game and need to learn on the quirks of the E46.
The M3 is a 2 door vs 4 door. what do you need now or future? maybe 4 doors will be better long term?
the M5 would be a more comfortable DD imo over the M3.
M5 is a older looking luxury (man smoking a cigar) kind of look where the M3 is more boy racer (kid taking it to the track) of the 2. (for the hardcores, don't look to far into that comment. just my opinion on style difference.)

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #25
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:

Parm and I are also the only two who are driving their cars almost continuously and go through the amount of mileage where you will see the true upkeep necessary for the car. Gamite barely drives his car. His maintenance and my maintenance bills are completely different. Which bring up another point, the amount of mileage you put on the car will make the difference of maintenance upkeep between the two cars more apparent.

Oil is also the same in both cars, perhaps you need .5L more for the M5? (not sure on the e46 m3 OIL CAPACITY).

Vanos, brand new for both car is an astronomical repair and yes the M5 requires both. A rebuild kit from Dr Vanos will sagnificantly reduce that cost. (but anything at the dealer is inflated anyway)
Ultimately, I think that there is a Cost difference for the upkeep of both cars, but find it to be negligible.

In any case we are moving too far away from the original post.

Both cars have their pros and cons, and both excel at one thing or another.

Some exhaust work, nice set of tires and a well sorted e39 M5 would put a smile on your face every second of every day.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #26
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
it comes down to personal preference and if you need the extra doors and space.

i've ridden in an m5 (haven't driven one yet) but it felt kinda of heavy compared to the m3.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #27
davericher20
black and blue

Fact

you should get the M5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #28
Chris_Bangle
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis View Post

i've ridden in an m5 (haven't driven one yet) but it felt kinda of heavy compared to the m3.
Captain obvious strikes A G A I N

On a serious note, I was interested in bringing a car from the USA a long time ago, which you mentioned is an option for you. May want to speak to this guy:

http://www.willz.ca/importusatocanada.htm
Chris_Bangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #29
MarkD
Banned

I just talked to a friend who owns a BMW repair shop in Richmond Hill and he told me about an E39 M5 with a $3200 repair bill for a clutch job, not including the price of the clutch. Then since the job was not done properly, Engineered Automotive had to fix it for $1000....
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #30
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

dont forget about possible carbon issues

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...t-attempt.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...q-summary.html

the nightmare photos weve all seen
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...-pictures.html

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: