Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
davericher20
black and blue

$500 e30 rally guy Bill Caswell

Lands a movie deal.

http://www.livesockets.com/article.php?id=3144

"It's official. Bill Caswell is going to Hollywood! The movie project about his WRC Mexico adventure optioned by actor Jeremy Renner awhile back will go into production with partner Paramount Pictures. The movie titled "Slingshot" will star the Hurt Locker star and is scheduled for release in 2013.
The deal has been in the works for a long time and we are stoked that Bill will finally get to share his story on the big screen with millions of fans that have followed his story from the beginning."

Jeremy Renner

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0...nner_super.jpg

Could be good

I may or may not predict F&F type outcome that fueled the ricer movement and street racing. Except peeps are gonna murder out their e30's with lift kits and cages, we will see a spike in used IX sales and see an increase in deaths on country roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.

Last edited by davericher20; 06-14-2011 at 10:24 AM.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Nice, another movie with an e30... to join the hundreds of movies already out there. I suppose a documentary about an e30 pilot would be like icing on the cake though.

The most influential so far in my opinion are Pretty in Pink, and Yes! man, Fun with Dick and Jane.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 06-14-2011 at 10:36 AM.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

A hollywood movie starting an E30, shit I'll go see it.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Where did the $500 part come from?
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
BigD
the misanthropist

This has to be BS... this story has been twisted around so much on the interwebs that it has almost nothing to do with reality. It has evolved into "a $500 E30 won a WRC race". Not only did he never participate in any WRC race, he didn't even win. He participated in an event of some backyard Mexican body ("Rally America") that happened to be run at the same time as a WRC event, and he didn't even win. Seriously, that's Hollywood worthy?
Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
davericher20
black and blue

I know he didn't win, but came 3rd or something, but I thought it was a WRC event no?

Well that's stupid. I'm gonna ask Bill himself. I FB'd him.

Quote:
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post
I know he didn't win, but came 3rd or something, but I thought it was a WRC event no?

Well that's stupid. I'm gonna ask Bill himself. I FB'd him.
A WRC race was held at the same venue at the same time. I don't know exactly how it works but I'm guessing that they're like support races. Like the way CCTCC races before the Molson Indy. It's like Rudy winning that race in an E46 and posting headlines all over the internets, teenager in stockish E46 wins race at Molson Indy, with the likes of Paul Tracy there, in multi-million dollar Indy cars.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
A WRC race was held at the same venue at the same time. I don't know exactly how it works but I'm guessing that they're like support races. Like the way CCTCC races before the Molson Indy. It's like Rudy winning that race in an E46 and posting headlines all over the internets, teenager in stockish E46 wins race at Molson Indy, with the likes of Paul Tracy there, in multi-million dollar Indy cars.
F@ck I knew that dream was real!!!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #9
davericher20
black and blue

lol, okay update! Bill emailed me back to clarify some things. His response was long so I'll just put in what matters. From what I got from it is he's saying jalopnik sensationalized it maybe and people ran with that and then it went Viral.....

"...I placed third in the rally america class at WRC corona rally Mexico. People say that my name doesn't show up in the WRC results for that round. Sure. Rally America was a regional only class so points don't accrue towards the drivers championship. Does that make it a separate race? I don't know..."

"...The only thing different were our entry fees and listing of our results that I can think of. I believe some of the cars could have paid more to be in the WRC listing but choose to run rally america class bc it was so much cheaper if I remember correctly..."

"...And next up will be it's not $500. Well that's what paid for the car. I then put in safety gear. Nice safety gear. But I ran the little m42 motor at 4 events prior to WRC Mexico. I then swapped in an s14 motor. I also had to buy two more sets of wheels and three sets of tires for the three day event which was like $3700 by itself. And people add that to the $500..."

They're the same stages, same day, same everything, just not "WRC" it's another similar class

Quote:
Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #10
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
From what I got from it is he's saying jalopnik sensationalized it maybe and people ran with that and then it went Viral.....
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying, which makes the fact that a Hollywood movie is being made out of it that much more asinine - since the only way this could be made a worthwhile drama is that if they try to show an E30 placing 3rd amongst WRC teams. I guess people really want to believe that the impossible is possible but you (the proverbial you, not you) gotta stop and think sometimes.

Quote:
They're the same stages, same day, same everything, just not "WRC" it's another similar class
They're only similar in that they're at the same venue, like any feeder series at major events (there are like half a dozen different races before the MoSport ALMS race, no one there claims to have won at ALMS). The WRC cars and drivers are on another planet.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #11
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
f@ck i knew that dream was real!!! :d
you can do eeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Old 06-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #12
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

My favorite was Rudy being the teenager part!

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #13
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
Oh he's not 12 yet?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
Gleb
E30 ..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
It should be noted that Rudy is a girl too!
Gleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #15
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
It should be noted that Rudy is a girl too!
Maybe that should be a compliment... that you can't match the speed of a girl on the racetrack?! Daaaayyuummm... Thats okay Gleb, we'll make a petition to have a GT7 class for you next year

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: