Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
Bach_850i
1st Gear Newbie

Approved helmets

Hy guys i am a new member to this forum, and was wondering where can i get a helemt in ottawa for autox and track days and what brand and caracteristics i should be looking at ! havent done any of the that before but would really like to start this year!!!
Bach_850i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Just use a motorcycle helmet with BMW stickers on it.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Better yet a WW1 pilots helmet with goggles. I mean...if it's approved for flying fighters in WW1 then I'm sure it's alright for going around on the ground.

LOL

Old 04-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
BigD
the misanthropist

Most places will let you get away with a motorcycle helmet, so if you're in a bind, that will work. The problem is that M helmets are designed to prevent your brains from being scrambled due to one massive impact, since it's the only thing between your skull and an immovable object when crashing a motorcycle. But car related injuries are more of the bashing your head around the car type, as it rolls. So SA helmets are designed to dissipate less force (so they don't blow up on first impact) but take much more abuse without falling apart.

That said, have a look at G-Force and Pyrotect. I think G-Force is the same but I know Pyrotect for a fact is actually just Bell making money off their discontinued models - so you're getting a previous model, brand new Bell helmet for a killer price. I've got one, it's great!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDice View Post
Better yet a WW1 pilots helmet with goggles. I mean...if it's approved for flying fighters in WW1 then I'm sure it's alright for going around on the ground.

LOL
Haha, can you believe people used to drive F1 cars equipped that way, 200mph, drum brakes and bicycle tires... brass balls.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
Bach_850i
1st Gear Newbie

THx BigD! Any shop in ottawa u know of that sells sa helmets?

Lol at InfinteDice's useless replies!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Snell SA2010 rating is the most current, and allow you 10 years of use. You can use a SA2005 but that will only be good for 5 years.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
BigD
the misanthropist

You're welcome. No sorry I don't. Unfortunately, as with everything in Canada, the odds are very slim that you will find a comparable deal here, as opposed to buying online from the Yanks. The only thing local shops are good for is to try them on (unless you hit up JRP's midnight sale, that's the one time during the year when it's good to shop in Canada).

The last point actually reminds me... of itself. Make sure you try on a helmet before buying. They are usually sized by the circumference of your head at a specific point. The problem is that all heads are shaped differently, and different helmet makers tailor to different head shapes. So say your measurement says that you should fit into a 7.5" helmet, like an L, but one company's L fits just right while the other one feels like it's going to crush your forehead or distorts your face unrecognizable.

In case you don't know, the helmet should be snug, borderline uncomfortable. People say that if it's uncomfortable in the store, it'll be way worse in practice. I disagree with that somewhat because the padding will flatten overtime, and shape around your head. But definitely be honest with yourself about the fit, don't try to convince yourself that you can live with it just because it's the only size they have of the model you like.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
Bach_850i
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
Snell SA2010 rating is the most current, and allow you 10 years of use. You can use a SA2005 but that will only be good for 5 years.
k great so i just need to look at the sa2010 !
Old 04-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach_850i View Post
k great so i just need to look at the sa2010 !
That will keep you current for longest but I've never seen anyone check the stickers, even that they're SA period, let alone a current SA. Granted I've only been through like 10 inspections so I'm sure it happens but they won't eat your lunch for it. It's more on your conscience to protect your head and as long as you haven't bashed it around, having an SA2010 sticker doesn't make a helmet any safer than an SA2000 - much like the way racing belts become "unsafe" after 3-5 years... just a way for the racing bodies to keep racing part companies around and making money.

FWIW, you are also likely to get a good deal in the 2005 since people who participate in races are more worried about this since they do get scrutinized, so the prices plummet as soon as they lose interest (eg you can get a perfectly good, $200 harness from a racer for nothing or next to nothing, just cause it's 3 years old).
Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #11
Bach_850i
1st Gear Newbie

ya just found a local shop around ill go try them out to see how they fit! theres a big difference in price between the states and canada??? The dollar is up to par if not better!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach_850i View Post
ya just found a local shop around ill go try them out to see how they fit! theres a big difference in price between the states and canada??? The dollar is up to par if not better!!!
Yeah, always will be. The thing is that our market is small enough relative to the US as to be an afterthought. So even those who try to base their operations here just can't order in high enough volume to get the deep discounts. But most don't even bother trying that, they just buy from the US distributor. So the stuff gets made in Japan, China or wherever, shipped to the US and THEN to Canada (with duties and shipping added on, as well as the other reseller's profit). By buying from the US you skip that hop.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #13
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Haha, can you believe people used to drive F1 cars equipped that way, 200mph, drum brakes and bicycle tires... brass balls.
Exactly BigD and it's best that everyone be absolutely sure that alongside the passion of motor sports is the danger. We don't want all the fancy gizmos making it safe to drive 200mph and crash, where would that leave us?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
Chris_Bangle
2nd Gear Member

A few basic things to keep in mind:

You may want to get more serious in the future so buy a decent helmet to begin with. Best to avoid open face. And like BigD said - should feel snug but not uncomfortable.

I got a decent Bell, entry level helmet in the USA (also made in USA) for around 350$ a few year back. Assume as with everything Canadian prices are unreasonably higher - so you may want to try it here and buy it from the USA. Most companies allow return if it don't fit for some reason.

Dollar should got 5c above par this week...
Chris_Bangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #15
Bach_850i
1st Gear Newbie

ya thats what ill do but most shops around here carry the m not the sa can i try the m to know what size to order or the inside is not the same? basically theres only bike shops here so thefitment will it be the same if i stick with the same company ?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: